Accountancy Forum

Full Version: A qualified can't speak english why?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Dear All,

I want to discuss about english language/speaking.

Do you know that why a qualified person can't speak enlgihs, like me.

Do you know that a person of well spoken english is valuable then a qualified when he sit among people for discussion (meeting, seminars, and general office life)

Thanks

Shakeel Ghaziani
Dear

Lack of opportunity and environment to speak, inner fears, lack of continued efforts and perseverance, shyness, discouraging attitude of others like inappropriate laughs etc.

I would not say more valuable than qualified, for example a doctor needs a degree to practice medicine which an inter pass fluent in English person can't do. However, command over spoken English distinguishes among professionals.

Among many of my friends, a person who got D grade in Matric and lower 2nd division in Inter Arts later worked hard to improve his English speaking skills and also in subsequent studies, so today is a successful CSP officer.

So, continued efforts, perseverance, and not being discouraged by others attitude are required to improve English speaking skills.

I hope it helps.

Regards
Salam,

Good answer...
I do agree with Toronto boy on most of the things. I do not think that english can be improved over night. The best way to improve your speaking skills is to SPEAK english. I suppose there is still some prejudice in Pakistan about this and I suppose the lack of opportunity to do so.

In my opinion, someone with average intelligence and GREAT communication skills (english included)can potentially outweigh someone who is exceptionally book smart but horrible communication skills. I think it helps if you have a foreign exposure. I think it may also help for you to learn english from a native speaker ( I wonder if there are british or american teachers available in Pakistan). May years ago, British council of Pakistan use to offer such classes and although I speak english better than urdu, I thought that it would have been of great help to those who may not have a full command of the language.

You can improve your english by not only reading english newspapers and books, you need to practice your english by speakin and listening. You can choose to listen to english news and make an effort to speak english. Get a friend who you are comfortable with and try speaking it with him and do not be embarassed if your screw up and do not expect to see improvements over night. It will come to you slowly, but surely.
Many highly qualified people often speak English that is rather not expected of them... In my institute we have 3 chartered accountants and barring the youngest of them, the senior two speak rather pathetically...

I think its because of a flawed foundation
An accountancy qualified individual can't speak fluent english because accountancy qualifications are not designed to test english, they are designed to test the knowledge of an individual. Accountancy qualifications don't test your english speaking ability either. That is the reason why many qualified PpL in Pakistan can't speak fluent english even after qualifying
In a society like ours one's professional abilities to some extent are assessed on the basis of his/her English speaking abilities. In my personal opinion this should never be the case. However, provided this is the situation and English language is among the official languages in Pakistan professional institutes should pay more concentration on inculcating effective language abilities is its students. The situation in case of ICAP's and ACCA students is really pathetic.
the problem is first impression is the last... u r judged by ur english for as soon as u part ur lips... the first impression has to be with regard to the lanmguage...

and then the inferiority complex the ppl taking interviews have compounds the problem

i blv the solution is to converse in Urdu adding English words to it for those who r not game enough
Tell me one thing question to all.Y everyone speak good n fluient english when in anger ??? I noticed it majority of time infact including myself (
<font size="1">[quote]<i>Originally posted by WARDAH</i>
<br />Tell me one thing question to all.Y everyone speak good n fluient english when in anger ??? I noticed it majority of time infact including myself (
[/quote</font id="size1">]

Surprised to hear that[^] Humain to ghussay main English bhool jati hay aur Mukhtalif Gaali.... yaad ajati hain, infact majority Pakistanio k saath esa hi hota hay, K ghussay k time woh decencity or English wagera bhool jatain hain.

Tum shayad Burger Bachi ho[D] is liay ghussay main English bolna shroo ho jati ho.
mujhay itna pta hai apnaiat main urdu hi niklti hai or jub maira mood sda hua ho matlab samnay walay say naraz hun to english main reply kerti hun.english apni apni nahin na lagti!!! mujhko to bohat hi rokhi phiki language lagti.aap janab ki tameez hi nahin hoti.or khair mairi english yo bohat hi week hai but msgs krny pay dhda dhad chlti hai.grammer include na ho to main bhi bol laiti hon )
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, san" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by WARDAH</i>
<br />Tell me one thing question to all.Y everyone speak good n fluient english when in anger ??? <b>I noticed it majority of time infact including myself</b> (
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Wardah ji, aap gussay may kab aiyn ge?
So that we can see how you speak fluently...

Wesay Urdu na hue punjabi ho gye k grammer he na ho[p]?
I meaned to say jo helping verbs ka rona na ho bech mai to. . .or grammer uru ki nahin english ki boli thi mainy.pehlay thak say post perh lia karo.or yeh tum say kisnay kaha keh punjabi main grammer nahin hoti???? theet punjabi mai jao to wahan bhi grammer milay gi.
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, san" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by WARDAH</i>
<br />I meaned to say jo helping verbs ka rona na ho bech mai to. . .or grammer uru ki nahin english ki boli thi mainy.pehlay thak say post perh lia karo.or yeh tum say kisnay kaha keh punjabi main grammer nahin hoti???? theet punjabi mai jao to wahan bhi grammer milay gi.

Main dekhna cha raha tha k ap punjabi jante hain ya nahi,[p] ap ka yeh paper nikal giya
aur "AB SAB SET HAI" -hahahhahaha [Wink][8D]
<br />Tell me one thing question to all.Y everyone speak good n fluient english when in anger ??? I noticed it majority of time infact including myself (

Good observation. Basically, under normal conditions whenever we speak in second language (i.e. in English), our mind keeps thinking in Urdu in background i.e. our thought process works in Urdu but continuously translating, transforming, and transferring in English.

Anger severely effects mind's capacity to timely think in Urdu and translate into English to deliver. Thus, either we forget to speak correct English (with all grammatical rules and exact vocabulary) and start speaking whatever words/ sentences start flowing and becomes fluent, or we totally forget English and start in Urdu.

It may also happen in times of abrupt surprises (when mind becomes stunned), extreme pressures (like in interviews), or during very light conversation (when some Urdu words may slip from tongue as mind takes conversation very lightly, does not completely transfers from Urdu to English).

It is quite normal and almost always happen because human mind's thought process is raised and works in majority language of environment where we are raised (may or may not be mother tongue).

Hammering may also happen due to same reason of broken link between mind thought process and delivering it.
Pages: 1 2