Accountancy Forum

Full Version: Actuary info required !
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
sorry for the last message... as i am new here...!!!

My name is Ameer Zaid, I come from Lahore, doing actuarial science and have 3 courses, (1 2 and 3)...

any of u guy need any kind of information do contact me.

I would be glad to answer your questions

Ameer Zaid
crazymath@beaconet.net

AZKS
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Tahoma, Arial" id=quote>quote<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

any of u guy need any kind of information do contact me.

Ameer Zaid
crazymath@beaconet.net

AZKS
<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Tahoma, Arial" size=2 id=quote>

Which stream are you preparing for and why please? Also, are you studying on your own or taking any tuition from some place in Lahore?

Thanks.

DT

welcome Ameer Zaid (crazymath)!
thanks for your offer.

crazy math, from where can i get books for SOA Course 1,2,3,4. In the statelife building they say that visit the website of the book distributor in USA and order them online, isnt there any book store in karachi.

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Tahoma, Arial" id=quote>quote<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
crazy math, from where can i get books for SOA Course 1,2,3,4. In the statelife building they say that visit the website of the book distributor in USA and order them online, isnt there any book store in karachi.

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Tahoma, Arial" size=2 id=quote>

I am doing it from the Society of Actuaries-SOA, (nick named society!). For you guys intending to do it from the Institue of Actuaries-IOA, (nick named institute) the track is a bit different, i dont know much about it as i am doing it from the society. all i know is that they have a series of papers to pass... and one more thing... institute also gives exemptions for some of their papers... you'll have to check out their web site to know more about it.

as far as course 1 is concerned... i didnt buy any books from abroad... just did Sher Muhammad Chaudhary's statistics and mathematics from thomas finny.... and the past papers and got a 10/10 score!!!!

No there is not a single book store in Pakistan, rather I could safely say that there is none is Asia! You will have to order them online.

They can be purchased from www.actexmadriver.com. See the website for more information.

About tution... huh!!!! if you are to take up actuarial science as a career, you'll have to do every single thing all by your self... forget about tution... no one will teach you... rather no one can teach you!!! I know a couple of statistics professors at GC Lahore, who couldnt solve a single question of course 1 (which is a paper of mathematics and statistics)... these questions are actually all about the basics foundations of actuarial science, similar was the case with economics, interest theory (something that only actuaries study), and corporate finance (charted accountants call it SFM).... and what to say about actuarial models, loss models and actuarial mathematics........ you wont find a teacher... and an actuary wont have time to teach

Why am i doing it from the SOA.... i dont know... i started off with the society... and i never gave it a second thought....

i hope this was enough.

I wont be replying to any messages till mid of May as I have an exam to take in May. Any of you guys who want to be in touch, do email me at my email crazymath@beaconet.net. I will try to reply if time allows.

Till then, bye.

AZKS
hi DT.
id like to know if actuaries can wrok at firms other than just insurance companies in uk?
plus would it be good idea if a person goes for soa exam p and then takes credit for ioa course 1?like this he will not have to go through the cumbersome process of registering.
since you are in uk and i also want to go for ioa,what made you decide that you wanted to go for ioa and not soa?
thanks...
sak if u use orkut join my community actuarial science in pakistan, if u dont ask a friend to invite u, or i can invite u too. we have 3 members who are studying actuarial science in the UK who can help u. anyway good luck.

adnan

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Tahoma, Arial" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by sak</i>
<br />hi DT.
id like to know if actuaries can wrok at firms other than just insurance companies in uk?
plus would it be good idea if a person goes for soa exam p and then takes credit for ioa course 1?like this he will not have to go through the cumbersome process of registering.
since you are in uk and i also want to go for ioa,what made you decide that you wanted to go for ioa and not soa?
thanks...
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Ofcourse, actuaries can work and are working in alot of non-traditional areas such as banking, strategic consulting etc.

Don't know the answer to your next question but I would direct you to the IOA or SOA pages for any assistance.

Yaar, I am just doing an undergraduate course in Actuarial Science and haven't made my mind up whether this is the right profession for me and you are asking me about why IOA and why not SOA!!

hope it helps

DT
HI DT
its sami, hope you will be fine , i mailed you some questions hope you will answer it soon.

for actuaries.....
--------------------
plz comment on , wat actuaries do out standing in finance and investment ,which cfa and other can not do..........CFA vs Actuary finance and investment
also looking for comments from azeem shah khan ,pracs,and others as well
and mr crazy maths do u know any actuary in islamabad ..?

samikhan
hi. i'm still a student actuary so i dont know that much, but i will tell u how much i know uptil now, well actuaries dont only work in the finance and investment sector,actually the main sector of actuaries is life insurance and pension, but in the financial sector actuaries are more qualified to deal with financial risk, as actuaries deal a lot with risk management, in the west actuaries also work in general insurance companies. but on the whole in finance and investment i think cfa is a better degree
hi adnan
thanks for your reply, tell me wat is orkut and if i can join you there invite me at sami_humtum@yahoo.com

samikhan
Pages: 1 2 3 4