Accountancy Forum

Full Version: CARPET BEGGERS
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have always wondered reading that all our famous well known writers through reading of their articles invariably appeared to be poor “Darwaishs”. For example when I was in the high school in 1958-61, the radio was the only popular media. Its service was 06.30 am to 08.30 am, 11.30 to 1330 and 05.00 pm to 10.30 pm. Being from the pool class the newspaper I used to read at the barbar shop and the first writer I came to know was Altaf Hussain Qureshi. In my mind his picture after reading him was that he was a poor man and always weeps in the night on the miserable condition of the common man. But when early 70s the world in Pakistan changed, hundreds of mush room publications surfaced I came to know how foolish I was. One day I read the column of Javed Choudhary describing his recently concluded journey to some mountains in a western country where according to his column cost of living was too high. Instantly it re-flashed that only a week back his column was showing him just an ordinary man like me then how it was every year he was going to European tours. This short moment of reflection brought hundreds of other memories about other writers who always are poor in their columns but rich in travel.

The other day Rauf Klasra who through his articles as usual appears to be from the lower middle class villager, living in a small flat in Islamabad stated his column that last Friday he was buying books from a big bookshop in Islamabad. Buying books and that too from a big bookshop in these times? He has money to “buy” books? The most lucky elite