Accountancy Forum

Full Version: Post Qualification Career Choices!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I will be giving my last two papers of ACCA (P4 & P7) this December and I wish to move to middle east. But I cant seem to be able to make a sensible choice for my career and i need help.

1) I can join an international firm here on ACCA basis and try to get transferred to the Middle East through the firm.

2) I can stay in Pakistan, join a firm on CA bases (with exemptions till D module) and try to get a job in Middle East after my 3 years article ship.

3) I can try for a job in Middle East directly and start my career from there by working directly in the Industry.

Consider the following questions while making a choice.

My Questions

1) Whats the scope of ACCA vs ICAP in Middle east?

2) After ACCA should one go for ICAP or go for some other qualifications such as CIMA, CFA, CISA? [I personally see no point in doing another Chartered Accountancy (CA) after another (ACCA)]

3) Whats the difference if I forgo the 3 year training of the firm?

4) Which is a better option for a fresh ACCA affiliate?
(a) Training in a medium sized Pakistani local firm VS ACCA Platinum/Gold employer.

(b)Training in Big 4 Vs ACCA Platinum employer.

5) Should one try to move abroad as soon as possible, considering the worsening situation here in Pakistan? (Bomb blasts, no guarantee of life, lawlessness, no respect for professions, worsening economic conditions, lower quality of life [(] )

Please answer the questions sensibly by stating the pros and cons of different choices backed up by reasonable arguments and without any bias. I want everyone faced by these dilemmas to benefit from this post.

Regards
Salams i myself was searching answer for more or less similar question s however you can read topic FRESH ACAs Oppourtunites and Challenges where people have already expressed their views and recommendations in detail the link for this topic is as follows

http//www.accountancy.com.pk/forum/topic.asp?topic_id=11196

CA is definitely much valued in middle east considering employment with BIG 4 audit firms as furthermore if u wish to join Firm in pakistan and later wish to transfer within articles to abroad in this situation i would like to mention that i haven't heard any such case i doubt firm would support u in this or not.

i would advise that you first decide what specialization you wish to pursue? do u wish to work as an auditor in an audit firm or you wish to work in an industry ? as life styles of both are totally different in terms of working routine and other factor..like while working in audit firm you can easily and more often switch to different regions around the world however moving in industry is not easy .furthermore once you have joined the industry and worked their for few years it is not easy to revert back and join an audit firm.

if you wish to work as auditor than you should be mentality prepared for a very tough life.with no rest,sleepless nights,insults,short dead lines,constantly changing values and reporting standards..in simple words working as an auditor is really a big challenge..
if you are ready to accept that challenge than you should think of doing CA in one of BIG 4 in Pakistan.as per my analysis ACCA background students face a little trouble in module E but their Module F passing result is splendid.i know one of my junior who got goldmedal in company law "fehmina jawed" a year back she was from acca background and she also passed module f in first go.so that means that ACCA people can do well in CA as well..better than others who have CA background i.e Module D..

Furthermore you are right unfortunately our Country situation is getting worse day by day specially if we talk about karachi as most of Big 4 audit firms key clients are based at karachi.it better that you move abroad.
i would also like to add it is not easy now a days to enter into Big 4 either in Pakistan or abroad.
even if you get selected in Big 4 for articleship than even its not easy now a days to find employment in Big 4.

i hope the above discussion would be of some help.
i would welcome any further queries from you
regards
IMDAD ALI SHAH ,ACA

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, san" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by wrathofheaven1</i>
<br />I will be giving my last two papers of ACCA (P4 & P7) this December and I wish to move to middle east. But I cant seem to be able to make a sensible choice for my career and i need help.

1) I can join an international firm here on ACCA basis and try to get transferred to the Middle East through the firm.

2) I can stay in Pakistan, join a firm on CA bases (with exemptions till D module) and try to get a job in Middle East after my 3 years article ship.

3) I can try for a job in Middle East directly and start my career from there by working directly in the Industry.

Consider the following questions while making a choice.

My Questions

1) Whats the scope of ACCA vs ICAP in Middle east?

2) After ACCA should one go for ICAP or go for some other qualifications such as CIMA, CFA, CISA? [I personally see no point in doing another Chartered Accountancy (CA) after another (ACCA)]

3) Whats the difference if I forgo the 3 year training of the firm?

4) Which is a better option for a fresh ACCA affiliate?
(a) Training in a medium sized Pakistani local firm VS ACCA Platinum/Gold employer.

(b)Training in Big 4 Vs ACCA Platinum employer.

5) Should one try to move abroad as soon as possible, considering the worsening situation here in Pakistan? (Bomb blasts, no guarantee of life, lawlessness, no respect for professions, worsening economic conditions, lower quality of life ( )

Please answer the questions sensibly by stating the pros and cons of different choices backed up by reasonable arguments and without any bias. I want everyone faced by these dilemmas to benefit from this post.

Regards
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
Thanks for the help imad and congratulations on your job [D]

One question though.

If one wishes to go for ICAEW after ICAP, should I not try for ICAEW right now since I'll get 11/14 papers exempted in ICAEW based on ACCA and will need a training contract for 3 years to get the membership. I presume ICAEW is much more preffered than ICAP in Middle East.

What do you think?
ICAEW is valued in Uk not in middle east!
Thanks buddy, I have decided to go for ICAP. You have been a great help [D]
you are always welcome just pay back me Duas thats enough consideration
regards
Sure!!