Accountancy Forum
Resolving rumours and myths about ACCA in Pak - Printable Version

+- Accountancy Forum (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum)
+-- Forum: The Profession (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Students (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Resolving rumours and myths about ACCA in Pak (/showthread.php?tid=7520)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

- Schuaeb - 03-05-2010

I second the point made by usamansss regarding this ACCA/CA comparison thing. Even worse is that same points have been repeated for last many years. The problem that ACCA participants are facing here is two fold; the ground reality coupled with the representation on the forum.

I would like to say one thing here if you are confident about the quality of education you are getting why you need to justify that times and again? One more thing should be looked at this discussion is quite a common sight on the forum but we have to see how is it initiated. Not often but almost always some ACCA student due to whatever reasons (I won't say fear or frustration) start comparing ACCA with CA.

- Dard - 03-05-2010

Dear Schuaeb,
The purpose of initiating the topic is mentioned in the very first post. When someone hears/sees something against facts, he/she tries to provide facts

- ausmanpk2001 - 03-06-2010

No doubt CA is the most well paid qualification in accountancy in Pakistan. There's no doubt about the market value of ICAP CA in Pakistan.
However as far as the syllabus & structure is concerned, ACCA is in NO WAY lower than the ICAP CA. Its a British tier 1 qualification highly sought in many areas of the globe including the first world United Kingdom.

I don't have much interaction with CA Module E & F students. However I have seen CA inters are at much lower level in knowledge than the ACCA professional students. Many subjects which ACCA's study during last papers of F series & initial papers of P series are examined in CA modules E & F. A colleague of mine was asking me for ACCA books to prepare for CA Module E attempt.

According to my knowledge, there is ABSOLUTELY NO DOUBT about the quality of the ACCA qualification as compared with ANY professional accountancy qualification in the world.

AND

There is no doubt about the very high market value of CA ICAP in Pakistan as compared with ACCA. Even I plan to apply for ICAP CA, however I won't degrade the quality of ACCA as compared with ICAP CA just because that I plan to quality ICAP CA.

That would be biased, against moral values, ethics & a sin to go against the truth just because I plan to join the institution. What is fact, is the fact.

- kamranACA - 03-06-2010

Usman

Nice post dear.

However, again a question arose; even if we accept (as you feel) that ACCA is commendable for its curriculum's quality although it has far lesser market worth, should this be a reason to opt for it?

Is it because, it is eaiser to ge through it?

Is it because it provides a short cut (gate-way) for further studies to get a desired job?

Or something else?

If above (except last) are correct then you are saying thingw aht every one is saying.

Regards,

- Dard - 03-06-2010

Dear ausmanpk,
That is exactly the point i had been trying to make. But many uninformed/unaware PpL deny it on God-knows-what grounds

- Dard - 03-06-2010

And kamran bhai, there has not been any topic on the comparison of both institutes curriculum and structure. It can be initiated too because i believe you and many others won't agree to what we are trying to say unless you analyse the syllabus and examining standard yourself

- kamranACA - 03-06-2010

Dear

If you go through my old time posts at this forum, you will come to know that I don't rate any qualification merely on the basis of its curriculum. I don't wish to go in details to explain its reasons. You can find it in previous posts.

Regards,

- Schuaeb - 03-06-2010

Ausmanpk2001, making conclusive statements on the basis of your feelings are never going to convince a neutral rational listener. Nothing else can be seen in last post of yours, and I wonder on what grounds it was admired.

May be my interaction with ACCAs and CA inters was a bit more than yours and I have found otherwise to be true. Exceptions of course are there but as a general trend the people I worked with CA Inters were remarkably better than ACCAs in professional performance terms. Many of my friends do have almost similar opinions in this regard. The reason for this can be explained; all of them have gone under rigorous ICAP examination for a period of at least two years that is so designed that until a students gets hold of a subject he or she does not go through. This is one of the main reasons of inculcating professional abilities in CA students. On the other hand there are other professional degrees like graduation and ACCA, whose level of comprehensiveness may be far or less similar but a thorough understanding of the subject may not be required to get through, higher passing percentage shows it to be true.

The point I'm trying to make is in ICAP its primarily examining system that ensure the professional abilities of its students and due to which CA Inters do have an upper hand over ACCAs.

ACCA is a two yeared programme and CA requires at least six years. Passing CA is tougher than going through ACCA three times, a wide gap of knowledge and professional abilities is there between a CA (ICAP) and an ACCA. So most of the people will find the comparison of both the absurd most thing one can think of.

Now when you've decided to try CA you'll yourself come to know where the difference lies. According to the points made by you, you should not face any difficulty at all while passing CA finals as you have got through an equally comprehensive syllabus. Hopefully, you do have a positive experience that is what I can pray, however, most of ACCA students struggle to get through CA finals, CA Inters of course show better results. I have always suggested that students should go for ACCA as an entry route in CA as you did. Firstly its much easier to qualify CA Inter and secondly perhaps takes less time. Your I believe was a right decision. At the same time some of the students who opt of ACCA as an entry route with the passage of time start to think differently, this may be on account of what there hear from others for whom they are bread to butter or they start to feel fear of toughness of CA, this makes them to believe that ACCA is a complete qualification and by believing so I guess they make one of the biggest mistakes. Nowhere in this world may it be UAE or any other place where ACCAs are considered at par with CAs in terms of professional abilities and therefore are remunerated accordingly. There may be a whole lot of examples of ACCAs earning in the range of AED 5 to 7k, but you won't find a chartered account (CPA, ICAEW or ICAP) earning less than the double of this.

Usman you are on the right track but the points made by you can be misguiding and misleading to the coming students, so more care needs to be exercised in making such comments.

@dard if you are confident enough of your qualification then why do you start to feel the need of getting into this futile debate times and again.

Regards

- kamranACA - 03-06-2010

Shoaib

His post was appreciated because itproved the things other way round.

That's why the questions have arisen and are inquired. Answers to the questions may be found in your post as well.

Regards,

- waqas khursheed - 03-07-2010

Dear all
Are we not wasting our time on CA/ACCA debate?resolving myths about ACCA is not our duty.I think it is duty of ACCA Association in Pakistan.(So jin ka kam ha un ko hi krny do)

- Dard - 03-07-2010

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, san" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Schuaeb</i>
<br />Ausmanpk2001, making conclusive statements on the basis of your feelings are never going to convince a neutral rational listener. Nothing else can be seen in last post of yours, and I wonder on what grounds it was admired.

May be my interaction with ACCAs and CA inters was a bit more than yours and I have found otherwise to be true. Exceptions of course are there but as a general trend the people I worked with CA Inters were remarkably better than ACCAs in professional performance terms. Many of my friends do have almost similar opinions in this regard. The reason for this can be explained; all of them have gone under rigorous ICAP examination for a period of at least two years that is so designed that until a students gets hold of a subject he or she does not go through. This is one of the main reasons of inculcating professional abilities in CA students. On the other hand there are other professional degrees like graduation and ACCA, whose level of comprehensiveness may be far or less similar but a thorough understanding of the subject may not be required to get through, higher passing percentage shows it to be true.

The point I'm trying to make is in ICAP its primarily examining system that ensure the professional abilities of its students and due to which CA Inters do have an upper hand over ACCAs.

ACCA is a two yeared programme and CA requires at least six years. Passing CA is tougher than going through ACCA three times, a wide gap of knowledge and professional abilities is there between a CA (ICAP) and an ACCA. So most of the people will find the comparison of both the absurd most thing one can think of.

Now when you've decided to try CA you'll yourself come to know where the difference lies. According to the points made by you, you should not face any difficulty at all while passing CA finals as you have got through an equally comprehensive syllabus. Hopefully, you do have a positive experience that is what I can pray, however, most of ACCA students struggle to get through CA finals, CA Inters of course show better results. I have always suggested that students should go for ACCA as an entry route in CA as you did. Firstly its much easier to qualify CA Inter and secondly perhaps takes less time. Your I believe was a right decision. At the same time some of the students who opt of ACCA as an entry route with the passage of time start to think differently, this may be on account of what there hear from others for whom they are bread to butter or they start to feel fear of toughness of CA, this makes them to believe that ACCA is a complete qualification and by believing so I guess they make one of the biggest mistakes. Nowhere in this world may it be UAE or any other place where ACCAs are considered at par with CAs in terms of professional abilities and therefore are remunerated accordingly. There may be a whole lot of examples of ACCAs earning in the range of AED 5 to 7k, but you won't find a chartered account (CPA, ICAEW or ICAP) earning less than the double of this.

Usman you are on the right track but the points made by you can be misguiding and misleading to the coming students, so more care needs to be exercised in making such comments.

@dard if you are confident enough of your qualification then why do you start to feel the need of getting into this futile debate times and again.

Regards
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
Someone favours ACCA, and PpL call it "personal feelings"
First of all, the reason why ACCA's passing rate is increasing was answered by me in previous posts. I am sorry to say, but most of the PpL here just ASSUME things. ACCA has a higher passing rate because of vast number of study resources, eg examiner's approach article, technical article, examiner's guidance, complete approved texts with exam kits, pocket notes etc etc(you would be astonished), not because it has a low "examining" level. You might argue that exam resources don't play a part in passing, if so, i would oppose the view. Everyone has his own opinion
ACCA is a MINIMUM 5YEARS qualification MINIMUM 2years for exams+3years relevant work experience. I wonder why didn't you count the 3years MANDATORY work experience requirement to be an ACCA, as you counted for C.A. C.A can be a 5years programme MINIMUM(A+B in 6months, and C+D in the next 6, and 4years training). I mentioned minimum here
Another professional told me he has seen very LESS number of ACCA affiliates who have not passed Mod E and F in the first attempts. The reasons are obvious and will be furnished upon if required
By saying "ICAP makes sure students pass when they have a THOROUGH understanding of a PAPER", are you agreeing with the PpL who say ICAP has a passing criteria of more than 50%? That statement is favouring it
About the salary range, in the UK ALL british qualifications are EQUIVALENT and are members of Consultative Committee of Accountancy Bodies(CCAB). Salaries vary only according to personal abilities and experience. Visit accountancyage's [url="http//www.accountancyage.com/salary-checker/"]Salary Checker[/url] for a quick glance. I invite you to a salary survey of EU member countries. In the UAE, WESTERN qualifications are more in demand and preferred, and ACCA is no exception there
I am sorry to say again, but in Pakistan C.A students and members are against ACCAs for God-knows-what reason, which could be seen in some PpL's posts very clearly

- padphoosilimdakar - 03-07-2010

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, san" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Schuaeb</i>
<br />Ausmanpk2001, making conclusive statements on the basis of your feelings are never going to convince a neutral rational listener. Nothing else can be seen in last post of yours, and I wonder on what grounds it was admired.

Regards
schuaeb,
Jab main nay QT ka paper dia to koi chance hi nahin tha pass honey ka.I attempted 61 marks paper woh bhi tukay peh.But I passed the exam.I do not know how.(agar theek paper check hota to mera pass hona banta nahin tha).Mujhe nahin pata aap kis professional competence ki bat ker rahe hain.Baharhal her kisi ka apna point of view hai.Mujhe to yehi lag raha hai ke is forum peh CA walon ko CA ziada superior lagta hai.ACMA walo ko ACMA.ACCA walon ko ACCA.

- Sitara - 03-07-2010

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, san" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by padphoosilimdakar</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, san" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Schuaeb</i>

Regards
schuaeb,
Jab main nay QT ka paper dia to koi chance hi nahin tha pass honey ka.I attempted 61 marks paper woh bhi tukay peh.But I passed the exam.I do not know how.(agar theek paper check hota to mera pass hona banta nahin tha).Mujhe nahin pata aap kis professional competence ki bat ker rahe hain.Baharhal her kisi ka apna point of view hai.Mujhe to yehi lag raha hai ke is forum peh CA walon ko CA ziada superior lagta hai.ACMA walo ko ACMA.ACCA walon ko ACCA.

Rightly said padphoosilimdakar............

Why we people are comparing ..... Don't do this ...

- Dard - 03-07-2010

Dear Padphoosilimdakar,
It is not about proving any institute superior. They are all professional accountancy qualifications, having their own merits and reputation in a region. But here what is being debated is that one qualification is not inferior to the other, which many believe to be due to a fixed mindset

- Dard - 03-07-2010

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, san" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by kamranACA</i>
<br />Shoaib

<b>His post was appreciated because itproved the things other way round</b>.

That's why the questions have arisen and are inquired. Answers to the questions may be found in your post as well.

Regards,

Nice. Does that mean whoever talks and proves things "the other way around"(i.eagainst ACCA) is appreciated merely because it is in favour of some PpL's beliefs???