Accountancy Forum
Career Advise: Desperately Needed - Printable Version

+- Accountancy Forum (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum)
+-- Forum: The Profession (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Career (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Career Advise: Desperately Needed (/showthread.php?tid=10071)

Career Advise: Desperately Needed - AaronMan - 07-05-2011

Hi Peoples of the Forum,

I hope this thread finds you all well and dandy.

I have been looking up this forum since I joined the accountancy field.
I need help and advise on the predicament I am facing and I believe experienced professionals will be delighted to answer as they are such good people -D

A brief overview of myself
1. I have an O' and A' Levels background ( OK grades )
2. ACCA Finalist P2 P4 Awaiting Result and only P5 Left. So, ACCA expected to complete in December 2011.
3. Currently in London ( Visa expires November 2012 )
4. Studying at LSBF for my MBA now which would complete in August 2012 ( in Risk Management from the University of Wales )
5. 5 Months internship experience in Deloitte ( M. Yusuf Adil Co), I got it on pure source and left to come to London.
I now often feel that was a bad move, should have stayed in Deloitte and got articles.
6. I'll be 21 in almost 4 months time.
7. My father has already spent too much on me and I do not want to bother him more.

Now see the problem is, I came here with a mind to do my ACCA+MBA and then apply for a Post-Study Work (PSW) Permit (Giving me 2 yrs to find job here). But by the time my courses complete, PSW will be abolished. I get job calls here from big companies, even PWC UK and they denied because I was on student visa.
I belong to a upper middle class family and I am in charge of my own finances.

Problem
With my PSW dreams slipping away with time I do not know what to do next.
CAN YOU PLEASE GUIDE ME WHAT MY NEXT STEP SHOULD BE?? From the 2 Options

I may already be aware of some suggestions and here are my comments on them.
1. Do BSc Hons and apply for PSW in a rush, all the while studying for my P5 on self, MBA Semester and BSc also?
I don't have the money for this, the BSc fees the MBA fees the visa application fees the mentoring fees. I cannot do it.
2. Move to Canada on a student visa? i don't have the money for this either.
I do not want to study full-time anymore.

SO THE 2 OPTIONS I THINK I HAVE

OPTION 1 Come back to Pakistan and complete articles from Big 4 of-course and then try for abroad again?
I return in end of 2012, articles start by 2013 finish by 2016. I will be 25 and just finished articles, I don't think earning potential will be much. And I wanna Marry Soon too.

OPTION 2 From London go straight to Middle East and try my hand there? I wanna do articles, an ACCA without articles, just doesn't seem right.

Please sort me out, I am young, ambitious and I need a direction.
I don't wanna look back and see that i made wrong career decisions.
I am working my butt off managing things, living alone since 3 years.
I am currently Financially Independent and am going to keep it that way.
even if I come to Pakistan, my family doesn't live in a big city so i will have to handle finances for my own accommodation and living.

Thank You for the patience for reading my Post and a million thanks for Replies.

Greatly Appreciated

- lost - 07-05-2011

You should have little insight of recent UK immigration policies changes. Ordinary Tier 1 has already been axed. It has been replaced by Tier 1 "exceptional talent" and UKBA placed cap of 1000 (per annum) on such visas. As for PSW, PSW was also under Tier 1. If you complete your degree before April 2012 only then you'll be able to get 2 year Post-Study Work visa. It seems like you won't be able to complete your degree by April 2012.

I heard that degree holders from OBU could also get 2 years PSW visa. Visit consultant/solicitor/legal advisor for concrete information in such regard. Since it is a degree it should work well for PSW. New students can get PSW based on OBU degree only if CAS states that you are student of OBU together with ACCA (keeping in view April 2012 deadline).

As for now, I would suggest you to contact some genuine recruitment agents in Middle East. Meanwhile, try to get part-time job in some mid tier firm in UK during vacations, even if you have to work voluntarily. So you will have some recent experience which will enhance your employability when your UK student visa will be expired. Canada doesn't seem to be viable option for you. Degrees are very expensive and, in private colleges you cannot work part-time during your studies on student visa. So don't waste time, gain experience of some extent (relative to ACCA). For rest of your options senior members will assist you better.
Best of Luck

- AaronMan - 07-06-2011

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, san" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by lost</i>
<br />You should have little insight of recent UK immigration policies changes. Ordinary Tier 1 has already been axed. It has been replaced by Tier 1 "exceptional talent" and UKBA placed cap of 1000 (per annum) on such visas. As for PSW, PSW was also under Tier 1. If you complete your degree before April 2012 only then you'll be able to get 2 year Post-Study Work visa. It seems like you won't be able to complete your degree by April 2012.

I heard that degree holders from OBU could also get 2 years PSW visa. Visit consultant/solicitor/legal advisor for concrete information in such regard. Since it is a degree it should work well for PSW. New students can get PSW based on OBU degree only if CAS states that you are student of OBU together with ACCA (keeping in view April 2012 deadline).

As for now, I would suggest you to contact some genuine recruitment agents in Middle East. Meanwhile, try to get part-time job in some mid tier firm in UK during vacations, even if you have to work voluntarily. So you will have some recent experience which will enhance your employability when your UK student visa will be expired. Canada doesn't seem to be viable option for you. Degrees are very expensive and, in private colleges you cannot work part-time during your studies on student visa. So don't waste time, gain experience of some extent (relative to ACCA). For rest of your options senior members will assist you better.
Best of Luck

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Thanks for your valuable contribution.

I am aware of the recent rules.

Firstly, I have taken for granted that I am not going to be able to complete my course for PSW, so, I have thrashed my dream of a PSW.

Secondly, the OBU degree will qualify me for a PSW but will require a solicitor's help and the fees and time for the OBU degree that will need to be done in a rush, my resources won't allow. So, i have dropped the dream of a PSW totally.

Thirdly, part time field related jobs here, impossible. Before people who don't have small jobs during the year would get jobs in holidays, but now people are being laid off in holidays.
Small jobs are hard to get and maintain, finance jobs impossible.

No one wants an ACCA who can only work a max of 20 hours.

I now rely on going back to Pakistan or favorably the Middle East, to do my articles. Hopefully.

I personally wanna just focus on experience and earning. But despite my desperation and toils, I get rejected due to my STUDENT VISA. It's a curse for my career till the next 1.5 years

I wonder, was it a bad decison to come here.

Whats better in the long run??
ACCA + 2 years Big 4 **** Experience
ACCA + MBA (Both from London)

- eccentricumar - 07-06-2011

Hi,
Do you believe in "istakhara" ? and can u do it yourself or get it done from a trustworthy source? that will provide the best answer to all your problems..leave yourself at hands of ALLAH and he won't let you down...
Please give me your email address, its very much needed for I may seek a favor from you but not here...

- eccentricumar - 07-06-2011

Aaron, I have a similar background to yours..the same O and A levels back ground and waiting for professional papers result of ACCA...
Need your help genuinely, please do reply.
May ALLAH bless u and assist u in solving this problem.

- AaronMan - 07-06-2011

@eccentricumar I have emailed you, get back to me at your earliest convenience

- AaronMan - 07-06-2011

Does anyone know of genuine recruitment consultants in middle east??
Any experiences??

- eccentricumar - 07-07-2011

Aaron, I have sent you an email..awaiting response.

- AaronMan - 07-12-2011

Hello, anyone, someone???
with just a bit of insight?

- m.hassan - 07-16-2011

complete ur acca come back to paksitan nd do articles.Then after articles apply for jobs in middle east.ICAEW is perfect option after acca if u can afford ur stay.
Dua karo sab theek ho jae ga.MERA AIK DOST BHE LONDON GAYA HAI ACCA KARNAI OR WO KEHTA HAI KAI PAKISTAN KE PARHAI ZIADA BEHTAR HAI ND WAHA PAKISTAN SAI ZIADA MEHNGAI HAI.HE IS not happy.PAKISTAN ZINDABAD