Accountancy Forum
UAE Job Market: Ask your Queries Here! - Printable Version

+- Accountancy Forum (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum)
+-- Forum: The Profession (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Career (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: UAE Job Market: Ask your Queries Here! (/showthread.php?tid=10214)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

- umairahmed - 09-30-2011

DXB. Raf,
I appreciate your efforts of helping the folk on this forum & I need your advice as well

I am ACCA affiliate but don’t have bachelor degree. I have three years accounting experience in a supervisory role at two local FMCG companies. Do you think that being ACCA affiliate is enough to find a reasonable job in UAE? Or not having a bachelor degree would be a major disadvantage? Further I am planning to visit UAE next month for a job hunt. Do you think this is the right time?

Thanks,

- DxB.Raf - 10-02-2011

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, san" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by umairahmed</i>
<br />DXB. Raf,
I appreciate your efforts of helping the folk on this forum & I need your advice as well

I am ACCA affiliate but don’t have bachelor degree. I have three years accounting experience in a supervisory role at two local FMCG companies. Do you think that being ACCA affiliate is enough to find a reasonable job in UAE? Or not having a bachelor degree would be a major disadvantage? Further I am planning to visit UAE next month for a job hunt. Do you think this is the right time?

Thanks,

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

First of all you do have a worthy experience. I assume you have exposure to recievables, payables, bank management, fixed assets and parts of management and financial reporting. This is very good experience. If you check out the UAE job sites, finance related jobs are always available in numbers. The only problem is that the number of candidates applying is more than you can imagine. So the jobs are always there but the competition is fierce. You have to beat lots of good candidates to get selected. So prepare yourself to face it.

Regarding education, there are 2 drawbacks of not having bachelors degree.

First, employers here prefer a mix both academic and professional qualifications. I am strictly talking about industry. Obviously in Big4s qualification matters most. However, i am sure you will be looking at industry. If you are on for an interview in industry, you are bound to face questions pertaining to academic degree. Having no bachelors would adversly effect your chances. You might just not get short-listed because of no bachelors degree as there are hundreds out here offering both professional and academic degrees with experience. That's why i advise all ACCAs to complete the BSC degree first thing after passing the required exams.

Suppose, you still got your job then comes the second drawback. Look we are not going to get high level designations like Finance Manager or AVP or something like that with 3 or even 6 years of experience. These posts are demanding upto 10 years if you look at job sites today. You are most likely to join as Accountant, Senior Accountant, Executive, Analyst, Management Accountant, Cost Controller. You are going to face very cruel salary negotations for these posts. The HR would be arguing about their collective costs and how much you are not being cost effective for them by demanding a certain salary. They start looking for your negetive points like no local experience, no industry exp, no dirving licsence and numerous other things to put you down. That is where your lack of bachelors degree would kill your salary. I faced the argument of no local or accounting experience (i have consulting and audit experience only) and faced cut of 3k. I was offered 3k more at a BIG4 advisory as compared to what i earn currently. But the advisory role is not inline with my long term goals so i had to give it a pass.

So it's better you get one if you can. ACCAs are very lucky to have the BSC option. It is a very prestegious degree here for employers. So got for it.

See there is a minimum you need to get for UAE market. It includes a Qualification, A degree and atleast 3 years of experience. only then you ENTER the competition. Beating it is the next step and without these, you are not even in the game.

Up to March next year, it is the ideal time to visit. One of my close ACCA friend is on visit here these days. He has done 7 interviews in 2 weeks.

- umairahmed - 10-03-2011

DxB.Raf, Thanks for your detailed reply

I have prepared the RAP for BSC & going to submit it this season & most probably will get the BSC degree in March. Can writing “Awaiting for result / Result expected xx/xxxx” on CV would improve the chances of getting shortlisted?

As you assumed, I really have detailed exposure of nearly all accounting functions.

Further, my reasons for leaving the country aren’t just financial; there are some other serious issues that are forcing me to leave.

By reading your analysis, I understand that without having a bachelor degree my chances of getting a good job are low. But, do you think that I can be considered for some entry level positions in industry / audit firm. & if this will be the case, then what may be the minimum salary? & will I be able to afford my living expenses in that Salary?

Many thanks & best wishes

- DxB.Raf - 10-03-2011

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, san" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by umairahmed</i>
<br />DxB.Raf, Thanks for your detailed reply

I have prepared the RAP for BSC & going to submit it this season & most probably will get the BSC degree in March. Can writing “Awaiting for result / Result expected xx/xxxx” on CV would improve the chances of getting shortlisted?

As you assumed, I really have detailed exposure of nearly all accounting functions.

Further, my reasons for leaving the country aren’t just financial; there are some other serious issues that are forcing me to leave.

By reading your analysis, I understand that without having a bachelor degree my chances of getting a good job are low. But, do you think that I can be considered for some entry level positions in industry / audit firm. & if this will be the case, then what may be the minimum salary? & will I be able to afford my living expenses in that Salary?

Many thanks & best wishes

Your chances of getting a job is lowered but not finished in the absence of a bachelors degree.

Yes, having "awaiting results" status is better than having nothing. If, you can wait till the final results, you should. You will spend lots of money to visit. It is better you load up as much as you can before moving. It would be a shame to look for entry level jobs after 3 years.

You will have to start from entry level if you switch to firms. I would still prefer industry. More scope and better chances of getting jobs. There are total 35 accoutnancy firms operating in UAE in addition to around 35 Consulting firms giving advisory services like internal audit, SOX etc. I don't need to tell you about industries. The numbers run in 1000s.

You should be looking at atleast 2 levels more than entry level. You can secure a job of minimum 8k per month. Medical and annual 30 days paid leaves with air ticket of course by law. Assuming your lack of degree doesn't come in your way.

Trust me it is a very good salary to start with. You could save upto 4k per month if you want. Actually you could save anything in UAE. Almost every expense here has variations. You can do your meals in 500 or 700 or 1500 a month, it all depends on your habbits. Even the 500 per month meal is 10 times better than the eat outs we get in Pakistan. Similarly you can save in accomodation by living in Sharjah after you get your own car of course. Fuel is cheap. I fill up my car in 60 and go 350 KM. That is my full 5 working days fuel. Calling is very very cheap almost negligible. Electricity bill goes around 300 per month AC included. Internet starts with 200 pe month. You do around 300 grocery and your pentry would be full for the whole month including household items. You might not even buy anything for the next month.

One off expenses, You can get your Blackberry in like 1.5k with 6 months of free unlimited net. A nice new laptop for around 1500. Cars are cheap, you can get a 2005 lacner for 14k 2007 for 18k. 2004 Civic for around 15k. Car is not an issue. You save up like crazy for 3-4 months and you get it in cash. If you are gona lease, most nice 2011 models are from 1500-2200 per month with minimum to no down payment.

So, if you live a LAVISH life with fun on weekends like movies, waterparks, fine dining, long drives, safaris or clubs, you could spend max 5-6k a month on yourself. A normal Pakistani lifestyle costs less than 3-4k. Nothing hurts your pocket here and you totally incharge of your money unlike Pakistan.

There will be no saving during the settling down period which is normally the first 4-5 months. During this period you will be looking for the perfect accomodation, travelling through metros and taxis, doing your driving license and lots of other things. After that its all good.

- haris_alshafi - 10-04-2011

Dear DxB.Raf,

I am an ACCA Affiliate with 2 years of experience...one year in an unknown audit firm and one in a Platinum Approved bank in Pakistan. I am coming to Dubai on the 11th of October. I would like to know what sort of preparations should I do (such as research)beforehand. I would also like to know what form of job hunting should I adopt, like applying in newspapers, online applications, posting ads...etc.
Any help would be highly appreciated DxB.Raf!

- DxB.Raf - 10-04-2011

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, san" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by haris_alshafi</i>
<br />Dear DxB.Raf,

I am an ACCA Affiliate with 2 years of experience...one year in an unknown audit firm and one in a Platinum Approved bank in Pakistan. I am coming to Dubai on the 11th of October. I would like to know what sort of preparations should I do (such as research)beforehand. I would also like to know what form of job hunting should I adopt, like applying in newspapers, online applications, posting ads...etc.
Any help would be highly appreciated DxB.Raf!

Make sure you are in posession of VERY effective comunication skills. Be ready to talk about yourself, your skills, your future plans, your CV and the type of experience you have. Start being comfortable with making tall claims about your skills during interviews. Make sure you will never go quiet in an interview and your body language looks confident and relaxed. Go through some basic accoutnancy book knowledge like CAT level and outlines/summary of IFRS if possible.

Make sure you have a really nice CV. Personal information, Career objective, key strenghts, achievements, education and latest job information should cover the first page.

Apply online through job portals. No need to look in news papers or go to employers to drop your cv. Send as many cvs as you can on daily basis and wait for calls.

If you already have your UAE contact number on your cv, start applying 7 days before you fly.

Gulftalent
Monstergulf
Jobs-me
Nadia
Bayt
GulfNews

are some very reliable job sites.

Good luck!

- haris_alshafi - 10-04-2011

Thankss alot DxB.Raf, One more thing I would like to ask is what do you suggest to someone who has just 10-11 months left till he becomes a member, should he apply to firms for articles or avoid them entirely and just cover the industry asI was thinking of applying for ICAEW articles in Dubai.
Thanks once again mate!

- DxB.Raf - 10-05-2011

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, san" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by haris_alshafi</i>
<br />Thankss alot DxB.Raf, One more thing I would like to ask is what do you suggest to someone who has just 10-11 months left till he becomes a member, should he apply to firms for articles or avoid them entirely and just cover the industry asI was thinking of applying for ICAEW articles in Dubai.
Thanks once again mate!

Becoming ACCA member does not require firm experience. You can complete your PER and TDM in both worlds.

Regarding continuing in firm or making a career in industry depends entirely on you and your long term plans. There are pros and cons of both.

In practice, you get the chance of making PR with the industry people. There is a clear growth and career path from associate to partner step by step. Annual apparaisals and promotions are usually better in practice specially Big4. You are almost sure that if you do everything right, you will become a manager after certain period, then S.Manager and so on. The drawbacks include repetitice tasks if you are in audit. Normally it becomes a problem if you want to move to industry after working for 7+ years in a practice. Yout hen become the practice guy. Also as i mentioned before firms are limited and jobs are limited.

In industry, you get the real experience of preparing accounts and other finance matters rather than just auditing the prepared FS. Industry experience is generally highly regarded. All the elder senior professionals i know tell me that only stay in firm after articles if i want to go to the partner level. Otherwise change it immidiately after articleship. That is one view. Salaries are better in firms for higher disignations specially. However, industry growth is no confirmed. You may find youself working for a company where the Finance Manager designation is already filled and you are not being promoted as manager. In such cases people switch companies to grow.

Once you quit firms its hard to get back in. Like you did your 3 years articles than worked in industry for 5 years and going back to practice would not get you manager designation even though you got 8 years under your belt.

So you need to decide immidiately after you finish your articles. This decision is crucial. So keep your long term plans in mind.

If you are an ACCA, i would not prefer you goin for ICAEW. It's better you go for CIMA.

- HERA BABY - 10-05-2011

all respected members please shed your knownledge on ths topic [)]
http//www.accountancy.com.pk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=26606

- DxB.Raf - 10-16-2011

Good news, a friend who visited UAE for a month has secured a job in a brokerage house in Abu dhabi for 8k as Accountant. He is ACCA, Bcom, Mcom from some interior sindh Uni and 3 years of experience in civil aviation and KESC. So you can see people do switch industries and starting salary after 3 years is on average 8-9k in today's market. As i mentioned earlier it is a very good salary to start with and settle down in UAE for the first 2 years before moving to better pay.

- tahmans - 10-16-2011

hello..

I am a student of CA from ICAP in Pakistan.. i will have my training in one of the big 4 firms most probably.. the training will be of 3.5 years on a minimum...

i would like to know about my status..

-whether the training of 3.5 years in a big 4 is counted as experience?
-if i would get a decent job in UAE after my 3.5 years training from big4?
-if i should do another qualification such as ACCA side by side..would it help? the ACCA training will also be counted along with my CA training if i start ACCA..so that means i wouldnt be an affiliate after my ACCA..

i plan to move to UAE after my training..ie after 3-4 years.. so i have to start planning right now with respect to my qualifications and start them now as this is the appropriate time..

please guide me..also suggest me any qualifications that you think i should do apart from CA that are possible in Pakistan.

i also have done bcom from Karachi University...

- DxB.Raf - 10-16-2011

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, san" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by tahmans</i>
<br />hello..

I am a student of CA from ICAP in Pakistan.. i will have my training in one of the big 4 firms most probably.. the training will be of 3.5 years on a minimum...

i would like to know about my status..

i plan to move to UAE after my training..ie after 3-4 years.. so i have to start planning right now with respect to my qualifications and start them now as this is the appropriate time..

please guide me..also suggest me any qualifications that you think i should do apart from CA that are possible in Pakistan.

i also have done bcom from Karachi University...

-whether the training of 3.5 years in a big 4 is counted as experience?

<b>Yes, obviously. </b>

-if i would get a decent job in UAE after my 3.5 years training from big4?

<b>If you are qualified as CA or ACCA or any other good qualification. </b>

-if i should do another qualification such as ACCA side by side..would it help? the ACCA training will also be counted along with my CA training if i start ACCA..so that means i wouldnt be an affiliate after my ACCA..

<b>You can go for CIMA, ACCA. Once you complete your 3 years of articles and pass all given exams, you will become a member just like ICAP. Doing another qualification would help you if you ever reach that point where you are a CA-inter and articles end. Needless to say, 75% of CA students do reach that breaking point. </b>

Its good to plan in advance. I would recommend you to start another qualification along side CA as you don't need to make extra efforts for it. You are already studying it all in CA itself and doing your articleship.

- tahmans - 10-17-2011

thank you..

yes i am considering the decision to pursue acca..since it will benefit me in many ways, including articles, qualification and the similarity in course...exemptions also might help me...

i am not interested in cima, since costing doesnt interest me...

CIA was another qualification i heard was in demand in UAE..is it true?

- Se7en - 10-17-2011

hey
im ACCA Affiliate, C.A inter exempted n BSc (hons) of Oxford Brookes Uni.
My age is 25 years n recently got inducted in one of big 4 audit firm. Now the problem is that i don't wanna do C.A (i might go for any other foreign certificate) n i have an option to do either 3.5 years of articles in firm or do training as an internee in firm without contract. What do u guys suggest me to do
-Considering my age, Should i sign the contract of articles of 3.5 years or do training without contract?
-Should i attempt for C.A EnF Module papers if i opt for articles although my future plan is to move to middle east.

Regards,
Ahmed

- DxB.Raf - 10-18-2011

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, san" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by tahmans</i>
<br />thank you..

yes i am considering the decision to pursue acca..since it will benefit me in many ways, including articles, qualification and the similarity in course...exemptions also might help me...

i am not interested in cima, since costing doesnt interest me...

CIA was another qualification i heard was in demand in UAE..is it true?

CIA has a very solid market in Gulf. However, internal audit is different from finance and external audit. Depends what you want to persue as career.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, san" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Se7en</i>
<br />hey
im ACCA Affiliate, C.A inter exempted n BSc (hons) of Oxford Brookes Uni.
My age is 25 years n recently got inducted in one of big 4 audit firm. Now the problem is that i don't wanna do C.A (i might go for any other foreign certificate) n i have an option to do either 3.5 years of articles in firm or do training as an internee in firm without contract. What do u guys suggest me to do
-Considering my age, Should i sign the contract of articles of 3.5 years or do training without contract?
-Should i attempt for C.A EnF Module papers if i opt for articles although my future plan is to move to middle east.

Regards,
Ahmed

What have you been doing till the age of 25?? Its your personal deicision to get into firm to start your job. I am not sure what advise i should give you. S

If you start with firm do register with ICAP and complete their 3.5 years training. It is not necessary to sit in the exams. Even if it is you can try your luck or just skip. It will help you if later in your life you decide to persue CA in Pakistan.