Accountancy Forum
UAE Job Market: Ask your Queries Here! - Printable Version

+- Accountancy Forum (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum)
+-- Forum: The Profession (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Career (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: UAE Job Market: Ask your Queries Here! (/showthread.php?tid=10214)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

- DxB.Raf - 10-20-2011

http//gulfnews.com/news/gulf/uae/employment/good-times-are-back-change-your-job-now-1.908499

- tahmans - 10-21-2011

I have got an offer from deloitte karachi to submit documents...and my process at KPMG is going on...i am hopeful for induction in KPMG too...

what is better...what to do...should i join deloitte or kpmg? both are in top 4, but deloitte is on second internationally whereas kpmg is third or fourth...i plan to move to the middle east in the future...

comments from kpmg and deloitte trainees/seniors/passouts etc would also be very very much appreciated...

hows the name in UAE...ive heard that deloittes office is in abu dhabi itself and is the hub...i mean what would be a better option?

please reply me asap so that i can decide!

- DxB.Raf - 10-23-2011

^Deloitte sucks in Pakistan to start with. KPMG without a doubt is better option.

In Middle East PWC and Deloitte has very small market. EY and KPMG are the kings of Audit and Advisory service lines with max number of high profile clients.

Deloitte and PWC have a great share in the west and hence in the global standings they win.

My recommendation is is definitely KPMG.

- tahmans - 10-23-2011

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, san" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by DxB.Raf</i>
<br />^Deloitte sucks in Pakistan to start with. KPMG without a doubt is better option.

In Middle East PWC and Deloitte has very small market. EY and KPMG are the kings of Audit and Advisory service lines with max number of high profile clients.

Deloitte and PWC have a great share in the west and hence in the global standings they win.

My recommendation is is definitely KPMG.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

thank you so much!

- wicky - 10-30-2011

Well DXB

What real difference u see in the working b/w "Accountant " and finance manager if u r working as any of the mentioned job?

i know it changes from places to places. Searched it but could not find the real differences from "Global" point of view.

Thx

- DxB.Raf - 10-30-2011

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, san" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by wicky</i>
<br />Well DXB

What real difference u see in the working b/w "Accountant " and finance manager if u r working as any of the mentioned job?

i know it changes from places to places. Searched it but could not find the real differences from "Global" point of view.

Thx

In Gulf,

Accountant/Chief Accountant/Finance Executives handle Debtors, creditors, fixed assets, TB, FS, reporting etc under the supervision of Finance Manager.

Finance manager is additionally responsible to manage the finances of the company in very simple terms. This, means he needs to look for cashflow, budgets etc. Accountant will book a payment while finance manager will ensure that there is enough money to pay or wether to delay the payment, hold payments, how to increase finance income and lower finance charges. FM keeps a balance between cash outflow and inflow and manage the liquidity. Hence, treasury functions come directly under FM. There is a lot of financial decision making involved. If the liquidity goes wrong, FM will be responsible.

In most companies in the Gulf region, the hierarchy will look like this..

CFO > Finance Manager > Chief Accountant > Accountants > Assistant Accountants

Additionally, there will be Management Accountant(s) in bigger companies.

The number of employees at each level depends on the size of the company. There could be 3 FMs or 6 Accountants. Or 1 each.

- wicky - 10-30-2011

thx 4 the ans .

may be in other parts of world it stay's same

- haris_alshafi - 11-01-2011

Dear DxB Raf,

I am finally in the Emirates, but things don't look so bright to me. I have been here since the 13th of November (more than 15 days now) I have not received any reply. Need your help and guidance mate.

Just to jog your memory, I am an ACCA Affiliate with two years experience. A year in Audit, and one year in the Budget Department as a trainee in the Head Office of a bank (Platinum Approved).

Awaiting your response.....

Regards.

- afnan - 11-01-2011

Asalamualikum DXB Raf,
i have just joined this forum after having a look at the thread that is going around and i highly appreciate your input in that regard.
although the picture is scary as u state but it worth having the true picture. i am planning on cming to uae in mid dec. i am an acca affiliate with 2 yrs experience in Pakistan Sate Oil. i have registered my self with icaew and planning on giving the two papers in june. this is all i am. i have constantly been applying to job vacancies that come in khaleej times or gulf times but no response till yet. but then i agree that as i am not available in uae at the moment its hard to get a call. but the problem i beleive is with my cv. i am asking for a fovour from u if u can go through my cv and provide me on tips as to how it can be improved if u dont mind.
another thing is as im a trainee in PSO i can only get leaves for a month max. no more or else ill have to quit the training thing and its a big call. wht do u suggest?? should i come to uae with cost involving min 50k just for a month or should i wait??? i am 24 at the moment and my main concern is good pay.

thankyou,

- DxB.Raf - 11-09-2011

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, san" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by afnan</i>
<br />Asalamualikum DXB Raf,
i have just joined this forum after having a look at the thread that is going around and i highly appreciate your input in that regard.
although the picture is scary as u state but it worth having the true picture. i am planning on cming to uae in mid dec. i am an acca affiliate with 2 yrs experience in Pakistan Sate Oil. i have registered my self with icaew and planning on giving the two papers in june. this is all i am. i have constantly been applying to job vacancies that come in khaleej times or gulf times but no response till yet. but then i agree that as i am not available in uae at the moment its hard to get a call. but the problem i beleive is with my cv. i am asking for a fovour from u if u can go through my cv and provide me on tips as to how it can be improved if u dont mind.
another thing is as im a trainee in PSO i can only get leaves for a month max. no more or else ill have to quit the training thing and its a big call. wht do u suggest?? should i come to uae with cost involving min 50k just for a month or should i wait??? i am 24 at the moment and my main concern is good pay.

thankyou,

WS,

Sorry for the late reply. I was too busy with monthly closing as we had eid holidays in between.

The picture is not that scary if you read my posts. I have mentioned that jobs are there but salaries have gone down and experience requirements have gone up due to excessive supply of finance professionals. Jobs are being advertisied everyday but the candidates are also huge in number. 3 years use to get us 12k before 2008 but now its no more than 8-10k. If you ask for more employers have got numerous good candidates to take your place.

Complete atleast 3 years of experience before moving to UAE.

It won't be possible for 50k PKR. As your ticket and visa alone would cost 35k for a month and 50+ for three months.

I was in similar situation. I chose to forgoe some very good offers in Pak to move here for 3 months. Its your personal decision.

If you can upload your cv somewhere and give me a download link, would be good. I am a CV freak myself. I firmly believe that a great CV can do the job. Upload it i would like to review.

- afnan - 11-10-2011

Thanks man,
Eid Mubarak!!
in order to complete my three years ill have to stay here in pak for 1 and half year more
that will be too late man,
if u can give me ur email address i can send it to u for a look. if thats ok with u.

Thanks for ur help

- DxB.Raf - 11-14-2011

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, san" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by afnan</i>
<br />Thanks man,
Eid Mubarak!!
in order to complete my three years ill have to stay here in pak for 1 and half year more
that will be too late man,
if u can give me ur email address i can send it to u for a look. if thats ok with u.

Thanks for ur help

too late in what sense?

hero143786@yahoo.com

cant give my regular IDs to protect my privacy.

- hasan9900 - 11-15-2011

Brother DxB.Raf,
(Sorry everybody if im interrupting the thread)A few months back i asked you about CA programs in Canada. You gave me some very helpful advice. But (since im in A'levels) i've had a change in my career-plan (I want to go for an undergrad degree, then MSc finance/Mba-finance and then CFA Program) . I've decided to pursue my career in the finance industry (working as a financial analyst or going into investment banking). When im done with my a'levels i'll be going abroad. I need your advice please in

1. Do you have any idea which country has the best finance-schools? im leaning towards Canada, but im still open to suggestions.

2. At my undergrad level, should i major in Finance or accounting at this level? I'd like to work in canada after graduation for a few years (you get a 3 year work=permit) then go for the Masters Degree. Which do you think would be more employable? I've read in few forums that finance grads face alot of difficulty in getting jobs.

Please help me out, i really feel screwed-up right now! )

Oh and btw, if anyone doesn't mind me asking, WHAT IS HE POINT OF DOING CFA after CA/ACCA?. CFA is a finance designation, where as acca/ca as you all know are accounting. CFA is kinda useless if your want to work in the accounting field i think.

- DxB.Raf - 11-17-2011

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, san" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by hasan9900</i>
<br />Brother DxB.Raf,
(Sorry everybody if im interrupting the thread)A few months back i asked you about CA programs in Canada. You gave me some very helpful advice. But (since im in A'levels) i've had a change in my career-plan (I want to go for an undergrad degree, then MSc finance/Mba-finance and then CFA Program) . I've decided to pursue my career in the finance industry (working as a financial analyst or going into investment banking). When im done with my a'levels i'll be going abroad. I need your advice please in

1. Do you have any idea which country has the best finance-schools? im leaning towards Canada, but im still open to suggestions.

2. At my undergrad level, should i major in Finance or accounting at this level? I'd like to work in canada after graduation for a few years (you get a 3 year work=permit) then go for the Masters Degree. Which do you think would be more employable? I've read in few forums that finance grads face alot of difficulty in getting jobs.

Please help me out, i really feel screwed-up right now! )

Oh and btw, if anyone doesn't mind me asking, WHAT IS HE POINT OF DOING CFA after CA/ACCA?. CFA is a finance designation, where as acca/ca as you all know are accounting. CFA is kinda useless if your want to work in the accounting field i think.

You'r welcome.

It is a trend in the west that students go for 3 years bachelors before moving towards professional qualifications. I say u go for a Bachelors in financial management dicipline and then go for CFA. There is no need to start Masters after you graduate. It is better you go for CFA immidiately after that while working in a similar role. You will end up with an academic and professional background instead of all academic. Later on you can choose to complete your masters anytime at any age you want.

Aus & USA are two financial centers of the world. UK has really become a place with a school/uni at every corner. The quality has really gone down except for few big names we all know.

Completing CFA after ACCA is plain foolish. Both are two different worlds and you can only live in one. Some people do it for personal satisfaction only, while others have a habbit of accumulating designations and some don't know what they are doing. If you are in accountancy, CFA hardly helps you a bit. It is more of risk management, investment banking and treasury/financial management type of qualification.

You are still in school and it is good that you are concerned about your career choices but don't get too worked up. Plan your choices and go with the flow. So since you have decided to move into financial management, accountancy qualifications are not so useful if not irrelevant.

- ArsalanYousuf - 11-19-2011

Dear DxB.Raf

I have mailed my CV.. Kindly critically review it.

Regards