Accountancy Forum
Our National Pride - Printable Version

+- Accountancy Forum (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum)
+-- Forum: General (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Our National Pride (/showthread.php?tid=1063)

Pages: 1 2

- jbladeus - 09-04-2004

Very well said Pracs...

we live in a hypcritical society

- Pracs - 09-04-2004

And that makes us all hypocrites.. who we all know are to go straight to hell. (God Forbid)

- Goodman - 09-04-2004

Hi

A lot has been said and very well said about the practices in our country and how do they contradict with a model society. I support the view that woman should play active part in our society. Its good to read the views of fellow members and people with such broad views are really the wealth of our nation. Atleast on individual level we can help to instigate a change towards betterment.

I think we should also consider the backwardness of our education and social system. Lack of Land Reforms has led to the upkeep of landlords and a number of social injustices. I would like to request to all fellow members to always consider how can we play our part in educating the childern. My heart goes out when I see youngsters selling shopping bags for a couple of Rs. in bazaars. These kids cannot be allowed to continue wasting their time. They are our future and they must be brought to schools. Lack of eduction poses and very clear danger to our future survival.

- Pracs - 09-04-2004

Goodman,..

Please visit the forum ' resolution on the 57th independence day in the General forum,.. has been posted by your's truly. It does list one good charity that is doing great work all over pakistan. If you are in Pakistan you could well visit there school, other wise people in the Gulf countries and UK can also contact their representatives (who'll by the way be professionals like ourselves doing pro bono work).

I had invited other members to give their suggestions on other charities or what ever the possibilty be.

This issue is the gravest that our country is facing,.. its not food or shelter, its education.. because without food and shelter your body whithers but without education your soul withers.

- Goodman - 09-04-2004

Thanks pracs for pointing me to link. I will read it in detail.

I was thinking of any civilization where education levels was achieved by charitable work. Charities could contribute but cant bring about a change. Its the state who should move on this issue.

You posted very good about Malaysia. They spend more on educting students in UK only than we spend in the whole pakistan. I used to share house with Malay students and I was suprised how their Govt. supported them. In our country all we have is non democartic rule.

- Pracs - 09-05-2004

I agree with you that the Governmet can do a whole lot more if there is a will to do it. Yes the Malaysians under the great Dr. M have done tremendously well. The Govt. of Pakistan sent a batch of Engineers to the US on scholarships in software engineering back in the 80's-90's.. see what wonders it has done with the software industry in the country,,,these initial graduates formed the back bone of the industry and are now industry leaders.

However, I do believe that we in our personal capacity can do a lot for education too,.. especially by pitching in for such chariatable institutions.. Look at how well the Eidi foundation is working.. that is something the Govt. ought to have done,,.. but living in a third world country (with corruption and poverty rife) I think we have a bigger responsiblity than that. I for one cannot not do enough, thinking of looking into the eye of younger generations and telling them 20 years from today that all we did was sit on our butts and complain !

Complain we must, but lets pitch in a little by channeling funds and most important of all our efforts into this forte. You cannot imagine how much educating one child can go a long way towards nation building. Influencing one child as such means influencing his whole family at a minimum 4-5 other Pakistanis. I cannot imagine what else could be bring more joy and contentment.

- Goodman - 09-05-2004

Hu pracs

I agree with you and you have got a valid point re importance of chartiable work in intigating a change. I am also content with the importance of individual contribution towards a collective goal.

Lets hope there are people like you in the Govt. as well.

- Pracs - 09-06-2004

Re the issue of Rubab... she acted like a pakistani and wore a swim suit that covered her to the maximum ! ,.. she was hounded by the West and the East (by Pakistanis. The least this nation could have done is not go on to criticise her,.. she tried to be modest...

I for one would commend Rubab,... to have undergone the pressures of the games, people of her kind (who did not try to understand her) and people of the west ( for their prejudice)

here is the news report

Athlete hurt by negative feelings about Islam

ISLAMABAD, Sept 5 Pakistan's only female athlete in the Olympics on Sunday said she was hurt by negative feelings about Islam in Athens where she claimed she was criticized for running in clothes that fully covered her body.

"Everybody discouraged me for running in full costumes and there was an anti-Islamic campaign that hurt me badly," Sumaira Zahoor told AFP. The 24-year-old from Rawalpindi finished last in her 1,500 metres heat but said she was followed more for her full shirt and leg coverings during the Athens Olympics last month than her novice run.

"They asked me why I can't wear shorts like some of the females from other Islamic countries, why is this difference. "I said that roots of Islam are more in Pakistan than other countries," said Sumaira, who added that her parents never forbade her from taking up sports.

Pakistan also sent 14-year-old Rubab Raza, the first female swimmer from the country in the Olympics. "Rubab was also followed and was asked various negative questions about Pakistan," Sumaira said.

"They think women in Pakistan are confined to homes with strict restrictions, but I told them that this concept is wrong, women are now working shoulder-to-shoulder with men," Sumaira said.

"Things have changed now, and women are taking even pilots' jobs in Pakistan with the full support of the government." Shabana Akhtar was the first-ever Pakistani athlete to compete in the Olympics, in Atlanta in 1996, followed by Shazia Hidayat in the Sydney Olympics four years later.

"The reason why Pakistan did not send female athletes before 1996 was not because of any ban but because we lag behind and could not qualify for the Olympics," said Sumaira.

Sumaira said the modern exposure was a dream for her. "I was amazed by the facilities at the international level. More and more representation can move Pakistani women forward in international events and Olympics." - AFP

http//www.dawn.com/2004/09/06/top8.htm