Accountancy Forum
Degree info request - Printable Version

+- Accountancy Forum (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum)
+-- Forum: The Profession (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Career (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Degree info request (/showthread.php?tid=1075)

Degree info request - imateeq - 09-03-2004

Dear Fellows,

My name is Ateeq , I am planning to take some degree programme in order
to enhance my market value.Currently i have M.A Economics degree from
Punjab University but i have found that M.A Economics is a kind of General
Degree.

That's why i have asking for suggestions through your forum , What programme
should i start to study and it would be much better if u can tell from which
institue , I am a resident of Lahore.

Thanks

With best regards and kind wishes to All the Members.
Ateeq

- Pracs - 09-03-2004

Ateeq

I am not clear what kind of vocation you are planning to go for.. If you are looking for an accounting career..

-Accounting/internal audit/external audit
CA- chartered accountancy (ICAP) this is a five plus years programme (depending on the route you take and passes in each exam) on the minimum including a 4 year articles/training with an accounting firm.
www.icap.org.pk

Certified Chartered accountants (UK) ACCA may be a good option but that will take a mimimum of 2 years ( I am not sure what kind of exemptions you will get).There is a local chapter that may be able to help you. Local accredited schools include

Professionals Accademy of commerce
Skans school of accountancy
(these schools also run ICAP programmes too)

www.accaglobal.com

-Internal Audit
Another option is CIA (may require a 6 months to a years's preperation)
www.theiia.org

Ofcourse with this you will need relevant experience for better job prospects. Most people with those qualifications would have a three to four articles/training at an accounting firm or a registered trainer.

If you are looking for a short term things, an MBA in finance is recommended. However, I am not sure of the business schools in Lahore I have been out of the country for three years now. Ofcourse LUMS is the prime institution in the country (affordibility is a question here)other MBA schools (in a general order)are

PAK aims
Punjab College of Business administration
Imperial college
University of Lahore

ofcourse there are many business schools in Lahore (lots of them have cropped up in the last 5 years), but you will have to do some research on the quality of their degree and the kind of repo they have in the job market.

- the_farhan - 09-04-2004

<font face='Verdana'>
salaam all,

basically, the choics depends upon the nature of job tht u wanna do. if time is the limiting factor, MBA(Finance) is a better option. otherwise, CIMA,ACCA, CFA, ACA etc r also good options.

u can select any of these instrument to pave ur way in ur field of interest. ie, MBA/CFA for banking, investment, n other financial institutions, n CIMA,ACCA,ACA etc for corporate sector mainly

</font id='Verdana'>

FARHAN

live, n let live ...

- Azeem Shah Khan - 09-11-2004

what is ur ultimate objective??? and what resources u have to attain them.

GOALS
- money
- prestige
- success
- status
- knowledge
- none of the above
- all of the above
- a mixed bag

RESOURCES
- sound financial backing
- family
- friends
- relatives
- prior knowledge/qualification
- time

once u r clear in ur thoughts of what u want to do and how u r going to achieve then it will become an ezeee pzee decision for u.

by the way the above is PROVEN technique and is widely used in NLP(Neuro Linguistic Programming) and other mind programming modules.

regards

azeem

- Pracs - 09-11-2004

Azeem didn't know u were an NLP practicioner... so is your's truly... aware of any good long distances courses that one can go for.. especially to qualify as a practitioner/trainer...I for one am a great believer in NLP...works for me.

I am working on the concept of linking it together with our own spiritual (as in islamic) conduct.

"Allah does not change the state of people unless they change what is within themselves" Quran 1311