Accountancy Forum
MBA vs 2 yrs. Relevent Experience - Printable Version

+- Accountancy Forum (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum)
+-- Forum: The Profession (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Firms (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: MBA vs 2 yrs. Relevent Experience (/showthread.php?tid=1143)

Pages: 1 2 3

- Mr. Whappaaaa - 11-13-2004

Not enough for me .... still confused

ASIF ALI

- Pracs - 11-15-2004

Still confused after 2 pages of responses, can you be kind of two reproduce / rephrase the question/part of the question that you are confused about.

We'll try to clarify..!

"Allah does not change the state of people unless they change what is within themselves" Quran 1311

- Mr. Whappaaaa - 11-15-2004

OKHAY

No.1 At this stage i wanna do any good Master degree Like MBA in any specialized field & i have enough time to achieve that degree alongwith ACCA.and i am able to manage both qualification and u know that MBA is two yrs standardized programe i have no prior yrs experience but i want to do MBA because of a huge amount of competition every body want to get 2 to 3 certifications course and degrees like ACCA,MBA & ACMA etc.. & now the multinationals want to hire those who employees who r able to do MULTI TASK regarding job ..if a person are IT manager in an IS deptt. then who should also know about the complete background of FINANCE,ACOUNTS etc. so what do u see PRACS .. is it right to do double qualification to get a good JOB ..?

No.2 but some one said to me that you should join a reputable firm now because nothing has match to experience but u know that in pakistan specialy in karachi joining a firm is tha most difficult task like THK & Co. FRSH & co. but in that firms we cant do over all financial statements work till 2 yrs specially ACCA'so it is right ..??

and Also No. 3Experience is necessary to get a good job specialy of a reputable FIRMS ..????

hope PRACS u will give me a good reponse ..

ASIF ALI

- Pracs - 11-16-2004

Asif, In my opinion

no.1 I would not recommend you to go for any MBA (especially with these street colleges), I think they do not add value, if you are an ACCA/ACA. I gather that you wish to persue a career in the accountancy profession. An MBA is considered a good option if it is gained from a good reputable univeristy after gaining some managerial/supevisory experience. ACA/ACCA/CIMA are top notch accounting degrees you would not want to 'dilute' their market value by going for an ordinary street MBA would you ??

I myslef have begun to think about an MBA after around 3 year's PQE. An MBA (again from a good univ) would be recommendable if you plan to join Financial services (Credit/retail etc.) or Marketing. Top notch Univ will just not consider you for an MBA unless you have proven managerial experience.

no.2 To have an A Class career in accountancy you need to spend some time in an accountancy firm (even if you are opting for an ACCA, i'd recommend the whole three years.) And yes it does matter where you have articled.. Big 4 definately a plus,. BUT if you are unable to find one there is no harm in going to a national firm with a good clientle base and professional staff. Remember what you gain out of articles very much depends upon what you want to. Accounting firms are very good training grounds especially in Pakistan. You will be given as much responsibility as much as you demonstrate the ability to handle. I give a minimum three years time period in an accountancy firm and if you demonstrate the ability to do so, you will be doing independant audits (the smaller ones) in your second or third year max. There will always be people who are not entrusted 'independant' clients even in their fourth year !

no.3 YES, you do stand a better chance if you have articled with a bigger firm. I have personally found that 'most' (barring exceptions)articles from smaller firms lack the technical expertise (because they have not had that kind of exposure) and most important of all the confidence and interpersonal skills that one picks at the larger firms.

"Allah does not change the state of people unless they change what is within themselves" Quran 1311

- Mr. Whappaaaa - 11-17-2004

SO how do u think PRACS if u are an H.R. manager of any multinational Blue chip company and u have to hire an ACCOUNTS, FINANCE manager or whatever, u have reached to CV, both are 3 yrs PQE of a reputable firm but one is just ACCA qualified and other is ACCA qualified and also have done MBA and doin CIMA so what will u see i think u should selecet a second one right .? preference will be give to 2nd one .?
yaar mentaly those person are hired who have double qualification also after gaining experience.

ASIF ALI

- maani - 11-29-2004

yaar only experience will not help u...so u should do ca inter in order to make 2 years experience

Ace

- label - 11-30-2004

Mr Whapaaaaa

Your question begs which will serve you better in terms of being more attractive to a potential employer.

I stand by the advice I gave you! You require experience in the short term. Irrespective of your qualifications, an employer needs to know "Can you do the job" not do you know the theory about doing the job!

I understand from your questions, that your main worry is progression. I would advise that you investigate potential employers that believ in employee growth and development.

I hope this helps!

P.S Good Luck in your exams.

--------------------------
See Ya
-)
Visit www.accountancystudents.co.uk

- Mr. Whappaaaa - 11-30-2004

FIRSTLY tell me LABEL where was u ..??? i think u appeared on the forum after a very longer period of time right ..??? wel ... r u busy nowadays..???

hmmmmmm LABEL u mean to say that Experience is necessary for the development and progression of job ...but for the promotion ...???

ASIF ALI

- label - 11-30-2004

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Tahoma, Arial" id=quote>quote<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
FIRSTLY tell me LABEL where was u ..??? i think u appeared on the forum after a very longer period of time right ..??? wel ... r u busy nowadays..???

hmmmmmm LABEL u mean to say that Experience is necessary for the development and progression of job ...but for the promotion ...???

ASIF ALI
<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Tahoma, Arial" size=2 id=quote>

In answer to your question, I have been travelling with work - therefore very busy/ jet lagged/ over worked yada yada yada and do not get much opportunity to get to the office so my surf time is limited -)

I think you are trying to run before you can walk. You need experience for both in order to develop and to progess in your job or be promoted.

I suggested you look for employers who are interested in employee growth - so you could satisfy your desire to attain MBA whilst working. My apologies for not making that clear.

See Ya
-)

waisey.... my quiries has been completed .....about MASTER DEGREE ..EXPERIENCE ...PROGRESSION..DEVELOPMENT ...WHAT EMPLOYER WANT....

All & ALL we have concluded to my beloved members, who realyy give me a lot of great advices, that EXPERIENCE is necessary and sufficient enough to get good job specially of BIG 4 ...... but the problem is that ...... BIG 4 nahi mil rahi hai yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaro.... i have gone THK & Co. ...FRSH & Co.........YAS & Co. .....forms have been submitted but no reply .....no response....no interview call.....

ASIF ALI

WHAT A fast response label after just 4 minutes i am shocked

ASIF ALI

- label - 11-30-2004

Shocked! -) Isn't that the whole point!

Hope my answer made sense to you and was of help!

You have approached only the big 4? Maybe you should think about what it is you want from a job and rethink the type of companies you are prepared to work for. If you have a broader scope that may help also, answer these questions for yourself.

Are you the type of candidate they want?
Why do you think that is?
Why are you what the big 4 need?
What additional qualities/ skills sets you apart from the other candidates?

See Ya
-)

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Tahoma, Arial" id=quote>quote<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>You have approached only the big 4? Maybe you should think about what it is you want from a job and rethink the type of companies you are prepared to work for. If you have a broader scope that may help also, answer these questions for yourself.

Are you the type of candidate they want?
Why do you think that is?
Why are you what the big 4 need?
What additional qualities/ skills sets you apart from the other candidates?<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Tahoma, Arial" size=2 id=quote>

YES I have approached only the BIG 4 .. thats why i have lost my 6 months due to the not meeting the criteria of big 4 ..... As far as ur question is concerned .. tu i m just saying to u that If a person is sufficient enough to get a good job .. or get a good firm ... then no problem at all.. i mean to say that "THE REAL THING IS MAN NOT HIS QUALIFICATION ...( i am not saying that qualification is not a matter)...what employer want ....what additional qualification is required ...its realy up to me ...right .?

ASIF ALI

- label - 11-30-2004

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Tahoma, Arial" id=quote>quote<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

YES I have approached only the BIG 4 .. thats why i have lost my 6 months due to the not meeting the criteria of big 4 ..... As far as ur question is concerned .. tu i m just saying to u that If a person is sufficient enough to get a good job .. or get a good firm ... then no problem at all.. i mean to say that "THE REAL THING IS MAN NOT HIS QUALIFICATION ...( i am not saying that qualification is not a matter)...what employer want ....what additional qualification is required ...its realy up to me ...right .?

ASIF ALI
<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Tahoma, Arial" size=2 id=quote>

Do you not sleep over there? -)

Yes, you have to set yourself apart from the other candidates. What other skills and qualities are the big 4 getting with you. Also, I would suggest, as you have no practical experience - Can you do some voluntary work and get some experience?

See Ya
-)

- Mr. Whappaaaa - 12-01-2004

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Tahoma, Arial" id=quote>quote<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Yes, you have to set yourself apart from the other candidates. What other skills and qualities are the big 4 getting with you. Also, I would suggest, as you have no practical experience - Can you do some voluntary work and get some experience?<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Tahoma, Arial" size=2 id=quote>

YES, i can get for the purpose of development,progression & promotion coz i have enough time to get experience ..but actualy LABEL the problem is that of getting a big 4 ....& hope i ill set myself as a good quality candidate ..

ASIF ALI