Accountancy Forum
importance of reference in Big Three - Printable Version

+- Accountancy Forum (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum)
+-- Forum: The Profession (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Firms (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: importance of reference in Big Three (/showthread.php?tid=1543)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

- Johnny_Lee - 01-22-2006

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Tahoma, Arial" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by bilal azhar</i>
<br />can a student go in big firms like FERGUSON,Ford rhodes,kpmg etc without a reference.

bilal
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

- Johnny_Lee - 01-22-2006

In my class,there are 6 students entered KPMG,PWC,E&Y and Deloitte,as i know, no one has a reference before they got a chance to have a interview.

- derivativetrader - 02-12-2006

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Tahoma, Arial" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Johnny_Lee</i>
<br />In my class,there are 6 students entered KPMG,PWC,E&Y and Deloitte,as i know, no one has a reference before they got a chance to have a interview.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

I guess you are referring to China? If yes then you are not comparing like with like. Chinese market is different to Pakistani Market..

- tajwar - 04-05-2006

hi friendz
well i dont think that references r more then academic records.
i have given modele D n have been selected in A.F.F n also all my friends in my class have been selected without any reference
i think candidates should write good refrences in their application but it doesnt mean that any minister or firm's partner calls to such firms n asked them to select u

- advisor - 04-09-2006

Dear All,

I am very sorry to read that many people still have doubts on the integrity of hiring policies in Big 4 firms. Always remember, those poeple who have failed to get into these firms want to create these type of false statements that they knew somebody who fulfilled all the requirements but because they didnt have any "SAFARISH", not managed to enter in a articles contract with these firms.

Anyways, I work with AFF (on job and not doing articleship), I share some of my experiences with this firm so that people know how things happen.

I and all colleagues of mine joined this firm without any reference or safarish and I still don't know anyone who entered in this way. I am not saying that this doesn't happen but people who enter this way are "EXTRAS". You can say 1 in a batch of 20 and he/she lateron is always clearly identified because of his/her inabilities. No S.S wants to send him/her on any kind of job/client. As far as my batch is concerned, no one entered in this way.

Now I tell you about what a firm wants from a person when it selects him/her for an interview. Always remember, academics always count, but what do you say about if all the candidates have excellent academic record? It is your personality, your communication skills, your gesture, analyses of your personality in pressure situations etc. They test you in variety of ways and you dont know that you are being tested. Like, often candidates dont come on time. What they expect after that? I think if someone has cleared his/her foundation in second attempt but have excellent personality should be considered and I think many of you people will agree with me on this issue.

Now coming to the ACCA matter, I know many guyz and gals who cleared ICAP module E and F with ease after completing ACCA exams and within three years of articleship. I know that ACCA guyz are not as good in auditing and taxation when we compare them with ICAP FE II cleared people but they overcome this lacking within a year. And yes as far as I know only those ACCA passed are prefered who want to complete ICAP qualification. If someone says that they prefer ACCAs because they are less paid, then please be aware, firms do not compromise on quality of their people and work paying "Rs 2000" less.

I know one case of "SAFARISH", and if I tell you the level of that "SAFARISH" you will be astonished but because of some confidentiality issues I don't want to disclose it here. I just want to tell you guyz that he was refused and "Islamabad" couldn't help him. I want to tell him if he is reading this that "AGAR AAP YE PARCHI USE NAHI KARTEY TOU SHAYAD AAP KI AFF MEIN ENTRY HOJATI". I dont want to tell more than that.

Some people blame ICAP about their strict passing criteria. I wish if anybody of you could be a paper marker (checker), and see the answer scripts, he would say, please don't pass him ever. This is not my quote, it is one of the checkers who belong to AFF.

Please don't critisize any firm without your own personal experience, we have to compete with the world. Try to develop other qualities as well in addition to the excellent academics.

Regards

An Advisor

- advisor - 04-09-2006

And for those who mentioned the cases of "SAFARISH" in previous mails, please give your own experience, not your "friend's chacha's banja's cousin's friend". I told u one of mine because I saw safarishers file and the phone call was recieved by my partner when I was sitting in front of him and he clearly refused to proceed........

- Flower - 04-20-2006

why all people just talk about three or four firms.
are all other firms useless? are just therse threee or 4 firms the future of a student?
does only the name of firm play role and not students own abilities?
shud u only get admission in only these three or 4 firms to become successful chartered accountant? are all knoen chrtered accountants the past trainee students of only these firms.
waiting 4 reply