Accountancy Forum
Professional Qualifications and Exemptions - Printable Version

+- Accountancy Forum (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum)
+-- Forum: The Profession (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Students (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Professional Qualifications and Exemptions (/showthread.php?tid=1551)

Professional Qualifications and Exemptions - derivativetrader - 01-11-2005

Doesn't anybody think that if a professional qualification accepts exemptions, then it is not really worth taking? I mean if there is exemption available then most probably it's due to the fact that there is some overlapping material in both qualifications, i.e. the one you already have and the one you are intending to take.

What is the point in getting another recongnition where you already have the knowledge for it?

DT

Edited by - derivativetrader on Jan 10 2005 92903 PM

- Pracs - 01-11-2005

Agree with you DT,.. I think one is a CA/ACCA going on for further similar qualifications e.g CPA is of no academic use... then again for some people it may be necessary to pass a local CA variant for the purpose of acceptability (say australian CA if you are working in that country). Apart from this I think other qualifications which may add to your ''professional skills'' might be (in no particular order)

-CFA (Treasuery and capital markets)
-CIA (Internal audit)
-CIMA (Management accountancy)
-MBA (Furthering one's management skills)
-Local tax qualifications
-Phd. (research/teaching)

"Allah does not change the state of people unless they change what is within themselves" Quran 1311

- seesamad - 01-13-2005

AOA !
Dear DT ! yes u have raised a very valid question abt exemptions . listen i m telling u my own xperience and i have done MBA and got 5 papers exemptions from ACCA. now i am starting from paper 6 i.e 2.3 ;;;;
By attemting these exemtions i have saved ropund abt 1 an a half year of my career . so as a student of accountancy u can also analyse the future value of ur career as well as monetary pouint of views and other point of views.
I wanna to mention a point here that by taking the xemtions u r going to save ur time bt the other worthly thing is that u will be not equal to the student who have attempted these papers. Student attempted 5 papers not equal to student exepmts form 5 papers ;;;; Hence PROVED.
Regards
Abdul Samad<b></b><font color=red></font id=red>

www.geocities.com/samadsh

- the_farhan - 01-14-2005

<font face='Verdana'>
salaaam all,

dear mr DT, i believe tht this overlapping among qualifications is because they ve, more or less, identical goals n objectives n they try to inculcate similar types of skills in students n these qualifications operate in almost similar types of companies. eg, ACA n ACCA, both r dealing with affairs of companies, both r good for audit, taxation, n other corporate affairs etc. this is why these qualifications award exemptions to each others. same is the case with other 'related' qualifications.

but for the qualifications tht do not deal on the same grounds, no exemptions r available. eg, CFA members might not get exemptions in ACCA or vice versa bcoz CFA deals in financial institutions n investment management while ACCA is a different state. so no exemptions

</font id='Verdana'>

FARHAN

live, n let live ...

- the_farhan - 01-14-2005

<font face='Verdana'>
dear mr DT, i believe tht the qualifications tht deal in similar type of functions, deal in almost similar types of industries, n inculcate almost similar type of skills in their students. eg, ACCA n ACA give exemptions to each others bcoz both of these deal in auditing, taxation, n all other corporate affairs etc. so, their students get exemptions over each other toavoid redundacies n to acquire the new skills only.

in contrast, the qualifications tht do not deal in same businesses, seldom/donot get/give exemptions. eg, CFA does not give exemptions to ACCA n vice versa. reason is tht CFAs deal with investment mgmt n financial institutions while ACCA is a different world.

</font id='Verdana'>

FARHAN

live, n let live ...