Accountancy Forum
A little guidance Needed!! - Printable Version

+- Accountancy Forum (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum)
+-- Forum: The Profession (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Students (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: A little guidance Needed!! (/showthread.php?tid=1785)

A little guidance Needed!! - ishaikh - 03-11-2005

I need some information about ACCA.I have checked the acca site and i'm planning to go to uk in july to start my acca.But i am a little hesitant in opting to do ACCA as i have the option to do my bachelors in accounting and finance from some UK university.What i would like to know is would ACCA be a better option or a bachelors degree in accounting and finance?.I have completed my Alevels and have scored a Grade A at 95% in alevel accounting..that sort of forces me to go for ACCA but on the other hand i have heard people quitting in part 2 or 3 cuz it gets so tough.I little help on this would be greatly appreciated.

- MALIK FARRUKH - 03-11-2005

I WOULD PREFER U TO THAT DO CA B/C A LEVEL STUDENTS GET GOOD CHANCE OF DOING CA

mfarrukh.

- Desert Sleet - 03-11-2005

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Tahoma, Arial" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ishaikh</i>
<br />I need some information about ACCA.I have checked the acca site and i'm planning to go to uk in july to start my acca.But i am a little hesitant in opting to do ACCA as i have the option to do my bachelors in accounting and finance from some UK university.What i would like to know is would ACCA be a better option or a bachelors degree in accounting and finance?.I have completed my Alevels and have scored a Grade A at 95% in alevel accounting..that sort of forces me to go for ACCA but on the other hand i have heard people quitting in part 2 or 3 cuz it gets so tough.I little help on this would be greatly appreciated.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"><b>Everyone has different opinions, this one is mine. </b>

Definately ACCA will be a much better option. One plus will be the the BSC Degree(Applied Accounting) which you can take on completion of level 2.

To succeed...You need to find something to hold on to, something to motivate you, something to inspire you likewise judging by your percentage in Accounting of A lelvels it seems as if you have devoleped some interest in it, and do beleive me it will help you alot in ACCA .

Perhaps the single most important element in mastering the techniques and tactics is experience. But once you have the fundamentals, acquiring the experience is a matter of time.

And Here’s what it takes.

Sit in the front of the class. It’s the first step in getting the instructor to personally know you. You will be more attentive (especially if it’s a huge lecture hall), and you’ll take better notes.

Listen more than write. By listening intently and taking only a few notes as reminders, you’ll form the basis for expanding your notes later in the day.

See if the instructor will review your paper before the deadline. This is especially important if you’re not a good writer. Even if you are a good writer, this step will help you fine-tune your paper and let the instructor know you care about your academics.

Meet deadlines. They’re part of college and life. If you miss them, whether it’s a credit card deadline or enrollment cut-off date, it’ll cause difficulties that will ultimately impact your future.

Plan to study two to three times class time. It’s a simple but accurate equation If you have lecture or lab three hours a week, allow six to nine hours for studying for that class. This is why taking 15 semester hours is considered attending school full time [8D].

If you do poorly on a test, ask for a retake. Instructors generally understand that the first test of a class can be hard to study for. So if you blew an exam, show them you studied hard but just didn’t know what material to focus on. You’ve got nothing to lose by asking to retake the test.

If you must miss a class, ask what you will miss. This will show your instructors that you’re a sincerely ambitious student. It will also prevent you from having to rely on another student for the info.

Test out of classes. Opportunities abound for those who want to test out of certain requirements. Ask your college advisor about what tests your school recognizes for credit.

Schedule a break in the day. You’ll find that an hour or so break during the day is the perfect time to study, use the library or meet with your advisor.

Register as early as possible. A large part of your success depends on your time management skills. Registering as early as possible will help you control your days.

Switch at the beginning of the semester if a class is not right for you. There is nothing wrong with doing this—you are not giving up, you’re simply moving to a better class choice. Better to put your efforts into a class that fits you rather than struggle through a course that doesn’t.

Know the deadline for dropping classes without penalty. Students often get stuck in a class that’s wrong for them simply because they failed to note the drop deadline.

<b>Dont get discouraged because of people who dropped ACCA in middle.</b>

Everyone is different. Everyone has different experiences in their past to draw from so I think we need to grow as a collective to realize that our experiences are not carbon copied. Some of us may have left ACCA and others could have definately cleared it in 1st attempt, BUT some of us DON'T!! . Actually, I bet the feeling might change in different times of life. We have different expereinces and that is .fine., we shouldn't judge each other as having more valid or complete experiences by some checklist!.

---------------------------------------------
If I could... Then I would... Turn back time!!

- ishaikh - 03-11-2005

Desert Sleet thanks alot for your info..makes me more confident..but i'm thinking of giving acca part 1(1.1,1.2,1.3) in one go, which will be in dec and for that i will have a 5 month studying time..do u think i'm not rushing it or anything...or i should take it easy n give 1.1 and 1.2?.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Tahoma, Arial" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ishaikh</i>
<br />Desert Sleet thanks alot for your info..makes me more confident..but i'm thinking of giving acca part 1(1.1,1.2,1.3) in one go, which will be in dec and for that i will have a 5 month studying time..do u think i'm not rushing it or anything...or i should take it easy n give 1.1 and 1.2?.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
Judging primarily by your Previous Acedamic record i will suggest you to attempt 3 papers in Dec sitting(assuming you have sufficient time to study and no other commitments). Passing exams can make or break a student’s academic career. For this reason, many students find studying for, and taking, exams to be an extremely stressful experience. So be careful, dont think my statement as a final verdict , take your own decision as you know yourself better than anyonelse. So dont take my word for it research it.

<b>General strategies for exam</b>

The following six strategies are basic ground-rules for any exam that you may be faced with. Don’t leave home without them!

1. Preparation in brief

• Practice for the exam. Make up exam questions and answer them. Share questions and answers with your friends.

• Find out as much as you can about the exam the type of questions (eg. multiple choice, essay, short answer, open book); the length (eg. one hour plus fifteen minutes perusal); the distribution of marks (eg. 10 marks per essay and one mark per multiple choice question); the time you are due to arrive at the exam (always arrive about 20 minutes early); and the exact location of the exam (visit the room before the exam).

• Discuss the exam (format and subject matter) with classmates.

• Make sure you sleep well the night before the exam.

• Eat well before the exam.

• Choose layers of clothing which allow you to feel comfortable with the room temperature.

• Take supplies of tissues, cough drops, pens, pencils, erasers, liquid paper, calculator, pet lizard, etc., as required.

• Paste your ID card to your forehead!

• In the 20 minutes before the exam, relax. Sit quietly, tense and relax each of your body muscles, take a few deep breaths, and don’t rehearse your material. If you are tempted to have a look inside your memory banks, you are quite likely to find them “Not open for inspection”. Don’t worry, the gates are unlocked with the wallop of adrenalin after reading the exam paper.

• Exam fatigue is when you cannot stand the thought of sitting another exam. Don’t attempt to study immediately after an exam. Give your batteries a chance to recharge.

2. Seating

• If you are allowed to choose a seat, consider ...

... the angle of the sun on your desk.

... whether you prefer the front, the back or the aisle seats.

3. Perusal

• This is a crucial time for planning.

• Read all the instructions thoroughly. It is quite common for students to do two out of three essays when only one was requested. No extra marks are obtained.

• Plan the amount of time you should spend on each question. This will depend on the number of questions, the mark value of each question and the total amount of time available. 1.8min/question should be allocated to each mark.

• Read the entire paper, re-read it (this is not a waste of time!), and, if necessary, decide on the order in which you will answer the questions. Do the easier questions first to boost your confidence, and the more difficult ones last when you are warmed up. Be prepared for strong fear, if not sheer terror, to whip through your veins when you first read the questions. It’s called adrenalin. The questions often look totally unfamiliar. Just hang in there! Start on something easy and you will soon oil up.

• Don’t be afraid to ask questions during the period when questions are allowed.

4. Time Management

• Time is of the essence!

• It is crucial that, during perusal, you write the time allowed for each question on the exam paper next to the question. For essays, note down the exact time at which the essay must be started.

• It is wise to stick rigidly to your times.

• Round off the question as the time runs out, not after.

• <b>You are likely to score higher marks if you write something for each question rather than if you answer only half the paper and run out of time. Always attempt every question!!!</b>

5. Check Answers

• Avoid spelling errors.

• IF you have time at the end of an exam, check your answers for spelling errors, omissions, ambiguity, and accuracy. In multiple choice exams, make sure that your final choice is easily identified.

6. Handwriting

• Practice the balance between fast and legible writing.

• Always write in pen.

• Marks are hard to obtain for unreadable material. Remember staff members have many papers to mark and may be marking papers late at night. Don’t irritate your marker.

Specific strategies for specific exams

“You as an examination candidate, are faced with the daunting task of confronting a variety of different examination formats. You might have to demonstrate your logical reasoning and creative abilities in one or more essay questions; or show how well you can condense a series of logical thoughts into one concise paragraph in a short answer section; or cope with multiple choice questions.”

(Orr, 1984 105)

1. Essays

• Re-read the question as you start it and underline the key words and phrases.

• Marks are only given when your answer matches the question. Many students write an answer with correct information but do not answer the question.

• Words like ‘discuss’, ‘illustrate’, ‘compare’, and ‘contrast’ require different answers.

• Do a brief outline of the major points and order the points before you start. This should take 5 minutes out of 30 minutes. Check again that your outline answers the question. It will also help you to write the Introduction and Conclusion.

• You should have a clear argument which you develop and support with facts.

• Don’t waffle. Be concise. Padding a few facts into a three page essay will annoy the examiner.

• On the other hand, always write something down. A blank page will definitely get 0%.

• If you run out of time, jot down the essential points.

• Start each answer on a new page.

• Clearly number or label the answers.

2. Multiple choice

• Make sure your name is on the answer sheet.

• If you don’t immediately know the answer, move on and return to a difficult question after you have answered the ones you do know.

• If the best answer is not immediately obvious, eliminate the incorrect options and choose between the remainders.

• Sometimes there will be more than one correct answer. You must choose the best answer.

• Change your answer only if you have a very strong feeling that your first response was wrong.

• Take care to record every answer in the correct space.

• Don’t forget to go back to the questions you haven’t answered.

• If you don’t know the answer and there are no penalties for wrong answers ... GUESS!

3. Short answer

• Short answer exams are a test of your concise and logical thinking.

• Use the same strategies as for essays.

• If you don’t immediately know the answer, move on and return to the question later. Don’t waste time wondering what to write.

4. Open book

• In these types of exams you are allowed to bring in specified materials. This does not mean they are easier. They often require much better understanding of the subject matter. Marking is more stringent.

• Avoid lengthy quotes.

• Use quality information (not quantity).

• Be super-organised in your answer (do a very good outline).

• Use information accurately and purposefully.

• Your preparation should ensure that you have marked the important areas in your text so that you can find them quickly.

When The Going Gets Tough ... The Tough Gets Going ...

- ishaikh - 03-11-2005

Hmm thanks alot for all the info..just one more thing...is it true that if i choose to do ACCA i wont have time to do anything else? its just study study study all the time?.Thats what people tell me n that gives me a scare.

<br />Hmm thanks alot for all the info..just one more thing...is it true that if i choose to do ACCA i wont have time to do anything else? its just study study study all the time?.Thats what people tell me n that gives me a scare.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
The transition from high school to college can be difficult for college students. However, with appropriate foresight and planning, it can be managed successfully. Time management, positive attitudes, and support from friends and loved ones will go a long way in making the transition a smooth one.

Time management is crucial in making a successful transition to college. This is an area that presents a big change for most students. College students have more free time, more independence, and more distractions than they were used to in high school. Colleges also require and expect more outside studying and homework than high schools do. These changes may blindside a student who does not carefully plan and implement time management techniques.

While it is common practice for collegians to carry 15 credit hours per semester, you sould be wise to limit themselves to 12 credit hours the first semester of college, in order to get a feel for the new demands being placed on them. When scheduling your classes, the you should take into consideration such things as breaks and intensity. It is essential that you maintain a calendar of all assignments, appointments, and social events. They also should plan two hours of study time per credit hour, and consider it a serious commitment.

For a more effective guide of time management plz visit the link below and schedule your study time accordingly.
http//www.ballarat.edu.au/aasp/student/learning_support/acskills/PDF/TimeManagement.pdf

When The Going Gets Tough ... The Tough Gets Going ...