Accountancy Forum
actuarial sciences - Printable Version

+- Accountancy Forum (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum)
+-- Forum: The Profession (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Career (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: actuarial sciences (/showthread.php?tid=195)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

- insaan - 08-15-2005

dear iyz the fact that this would not help you a lot
and you would hav to giv act exams all on your own ,,because ,remember you would woth be doing only BS actuarial sciences in this case ..BUt with this combination
calculus,stats ,act maths and something alike all these would help ua bit
but nothing more than that
abetter option would be doing BS act sc any recognized university from UK

- zaid - 08-18-2005

yes this is much more cleared, thanks. But i have some more questions to you derivative trader, that you tell me your personal choice from 2 options

either 1. i do actuarial science from LSE or any other university?
or 2. i do actuarial sciences through an awarding body just like SOA or IOA.

Give me the answers in the sense of rating,demand and through which way i could complete the program faster, because i am confident about my Maths that i can complete it much faster.

thanx

- derivativetrader - 08-20-2005

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Tahoma, Arial" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by zaid</i>
<br />yes this is much more cleared, thanks. But i have some more questions to you derivative trader, that you tell me your personal choice from 2 options

either 1. i do actuarial science from LSE or any other university?
or 2. i do actuarial sciences through an awarding body just like SOA or IOA.

Give me the answers in the sense of rating,demand and through which way i could complete the program faster, because i am confident about my Maths that i can complete it much faster.

thanx
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

I would always go for choice 1 for the following reasons,

You will graduate from any university in 3 years and if at any time you change your mind that you don’t want to continue within the actuarial profession you can always go for different fields and it woudnt be a major problem. However, if you just study for act science and don’t go to any university then you are closing your several options.

- poonam_actuary - 08-25-2005

Hi there, I have done my Msc mathematics from a reputed univ in India with statistics as a subsidiary subject.....I just wanted somebody to help me out in finding the scope of Actuarial sciences in India.....The institutions offering any kind of such course in India....and if there is any exam which is required to be cleared....I just want to know how to go abt making a career in this field.....currently i m teaching statistics and maths in MCA colleges...so i m very much interested in it...

- poonam_actuary - 08-25-2005

I would be very much obliged if any of u can help me out..

- nadir_actuary - 08-26-2005

I am a Actuarial student at KU.
Do any one know,Is there any professional recruiting bodies except State life corp. who recruit for actuaries and what are their prerequisites.

- derivativetrader - 08-27-2005

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Tahoma, Arial" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by nadir_actuary</i>
<br />I am a Actuarial student at KU.
Do any one know,Is there any professional recruiting bodies except State life corp. who recruit for actuaries and what are their prerequisites.

I think your department should be able to give you some hints on this. Alternatively, google it and you will get a list of actuarial firm / consultants in Pakistan and then you will have to make few telephone calls.

DT

- zaid - 08-28-2005

no derivative you are not getting my question. i want the much faster way to complete the actuarial sciences program. See if i do it from any university then i will spend 3 years for graduate and 2 more years for post graduate and then i would be called an actuary, but on the other hand if i am doing it from any awarding body just like SOA or IOA then it would depend on me that how much fatser i could become an actuary, may be in 2 years or 3 years. tell me if i am right?

zaid

- zaid - 08-28-2005

See i am intrested in faster way because 1 year ago a guy came in my school "Karachi grammar school", he was giving presntation about actuarial scineces, that guy told us that a boy became a complete actuary in 3 years. at that time i wasnt intrested in actuarial sciences thats why i didnt remember the name of that guy. but does this thing make sense?

zaid

- derivativetrader - 08-29-2005

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Tahoma, Arial" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by zaid</i>
<br />See i am intrested in faster way because 1 year ago a guy came in my school "Karachi grammar school", he was giving presntation about actuarial scineces, that guy told us that a boy became a complete actuary in 3 years. at that time i wasnt intrested in actuarial sciences thats why i didnt remember the name of that guy. but does this thing make sense?

zaid

The minimum it takes to become an actuary is 3 years. You can't become an actuary (IOA or SOA (I think)) until unless you have 3 years of work experience and it will only be achieved if you have worked '3' years.

Secondly, you can't be called if you do a BSc/MSc/PhD in Actuarial Science - you need to pass exams set by IOA or SOA. I think the confusion arises when you interpret 'exemptions' wrongly. The 'only' way you can qualify quicker by doing academic degrees is if you get good scores in your academic degree modules AND your degree is affiliated with IOA or SOA. At present, there are no arrangements between any university and IOA/SOA that exempt you to do any 'professional' papers set by those bodies.

I know the person who might be referred in that presentation but for obsious reasons I can't disclose his identity on this forum.

So, at the end of the day you will have to do exams (in most cases yourself) to qualify as an actuary - there are no short cuts!! Otherwise, there wouldn't have been a premium for qualified people.

DT

- om3r_20 - 08-29-2005

hello...I m doin ma A'levelz but still hv 1 yr left
i m very much intrsted in Ac. Sc. n ive collected alot of important info frm ur forum but i m still a bit concerned abt the 'salary' which a qualified Actuary wud get as compared to a qualified CA..
Plz help me out

- om3r_20 - 08-29-2005

a Fellow, a Correspondent, Associate or Affiliate...Can any body help me out with these terms.. i m lil confused over them!!!
thnx

- Shuja - 08-29-2005

Hey DT,

How u doin man? I just wanted to tell u that i'm off to waterloo, i decided not to go to warwick even thought i got the grades i feel that i have a better future in canada with the immigration and all and plus waterloo is seen as the best uni for mathematics in canada and its usually in the top five in north america, and the standard of life is a lot better in canada, Anyways i just thought that since u helped me with a lot of things i ought to tell u. Anyways i wish u the best of luck at LSE.

regards,

Shuja.

- derivativetrader - 08-30-2005

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Tahoma, Arial" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Shuja</i>
<br />Hey DT,

How u doin man? I just wanted to tell u that i'm off to waterloo, i decided not to go to warwick even thought i got the grades i feel that i have a better future in canada with the immigration and all and plus waterloo is seen as the best uni for mathematics in canada and its usually in the top five in north america, and the standard of life is a lot better in canada, Anyways i just thought that since u helped me with a lot of things i ought to tell u. Anyways i wish u the best of luck at LSE.

regards,

Shuja.

No problem and I'm happy that you have made a good career decision. Good luck for the future and do stay in touch if you need any sort of help.

DT

- om3r_20 - 09-04-2005

yar derivative...plz reply me also!!!
Mujh se kiyun naraz ho..bhayii.....!