Accountancy Forum
Quality of posts is declining! - Printable Version

+- Accountancy Forum (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum)
+-- Forum: General (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Quality of posts is declining! (/showthread.php?tid=2043)

Quality of posts is declining! - Ali Akbar - 05-24-2005

AoA

We all know that this forum proved to be very informative for new commers and others.

Don't u think that nowadays the quality of posts is very low? People like Awais etc post there words just to increase their number of posts! Is this professionalism?

ICAPians, the unparalleld.

- fahim239 - 05-24-2005

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Tahoma, Arial" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Ali Akbar</i>
<br />AoA

Don't u think that nowadays the quality of posts is very low? Is this professionalism?

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Right-o Ali, but better iggy such posts n concentrate more on the informative n constructive ones.

There's a wolf among the lambs, as they say. It ain't a new phenomenon. Do you know even ppl at the microsoft are hitherto unable to stop the inflow of spam n junk mail/info?

If you block such contacts, they simply make new ones n kick-starts again -(((

«•´`•.(*•.¸(`•.¸ ¸.•´)¸.•*).•´`•»
«................. Fahim .................»
«•´`•.(¸.•*(¸.•´ `•.¸)*•.¸).•´`•»

- ADNAN KHAN - 05-24-2005

AOA
YEH WE KNOW DAT DIS IS NOT A PROFESSIONAL ATTITUDE
BECOZ WE KNOW DAT IT IS UR APTITUDE DAT DETERMINE UR ATTITUDE
N I AM SORRY TO SAT WE DO NOT HAV SUCH APTITUDE.

- Xak - 05-24-2005

increment in the number of posts wont give you anything REMARKABLE.
bottomline is that ppl. must avoid ;-p>
shame shame

- Desert Sleet - 05-25-2005

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Tahoma, Arial" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Ali Akbar</i>
<br />AoA

We all know that this forum proved to be very informative for new commers and others.

Don't u think that nowadays the quality of posts is very low? People like Awais etc post there words just to increase their number of posts! Is this professionalism?

I've been noticing a steady decline in the quality of messages posted on this website. Members are using slang, non-standard abbreviations, and avoiding simple things like capitalization and even punctuation.

I think a multi-step approach is needed. First, in our TOS or posting guidelines, we shall make a clear statement as to what is or isn't allowable. Proper case (not all upper or lower), reasonable punctuation, and no excessive abbreviation (like text message-speak) would be a start.
If it's a prevalent issue, then Admin might post an announcement or sticky-thread as well. Or, put a note next to the post editing box.

Some oblivious posters will still miss all the cautions, of course. Moderators (none here) should either edit these (if simple) or return them to the poster for editing. While I've seen some forums that embarrass members publicly, I recommend handling most of this by private message. I'm guessing the problem will clear up quickly.

- fahim239 - 05-25-2005

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Tahoma, Arial" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Desert Sleet</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Tahoma, Arial" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Ali Akbar</i>
<br />AoA

I've been noticing a steady decline in the quality of messages posted on this website. Members are using slang, non-standard abbreviations, and avoiding simple things like capitalization and even punctuation.

I'm guessing the problem will clear up quickly.

I think more emphasis should be given to the content of the subject matter rather than to the complications of the language. Being slang is one thing, while being offensive is another. It doesn’t necessarily entail that a student who is using a slang language means something really offensive.

Then there is the problem of the subject matter itself. Certain subjects require certain approaches. If it’s a subject of an academic nature, it would require the scribe to approach it in the academic language. Likewise, if it’s a subject of non-academic nature and more of fun-making, then it would certainly require quite an opposite approach.

The use of the internet and computers for the educational purposes has this quintessential feature of molding one’s language style, like short-spelling, slang words and everyday expressions. In the past, though, people of the academic circles were very formal about such a thing. They wouldn’t tolerate even a single mistake of a comma, semi-comma or even a hyphen, let alone the spelling. Using only the more conservative British vocabulary, they deemed American English as highly formal and slang. But look around and see how many people nowadays give a thought to such subtleties. In fact, one finds the very dictionary of the Microsoft’s Word application as American one.

So in my view, when it comes to a healthy and constructive discussion it’s the quality of the content which matters, rather than the punctuations, abbreviations and slang words. After all, English is neither our national language nor our mother language. Lolsss…

«•´`•.(*•.¸(`•.¸ ¸.•´)¸.•*).•´`•»
«................. Fahim .................»
«•´`•.(¸.•*(¸.•´ `•.¸)*•.¸).•´`•»

- khurram_afzal - 05-26-2005

<br />AoA

Don't u think that nowadays the quality of posts is very low? People like Awais etc post there words just to increase their number of posts! Is this professionalism?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

<font face="Book Antiqua"><font color="red">NO COMMENT !! JUST AGREE NOT 100% BUT 200% TO ALI AKBAR[Wink]</font id="red"></font id="Book Antiqua">

- Sahar_M - 05-26-2005

<font face="Comic Sans MS">All the NERDS sitting together and discussing a really important topic . IS IT ?????
</font id="Comic Sans MS">
<font color="red">hmmmmmmm ......... ( oH! I guess the thinking process should not be typed, Sorry.)
</font id="red">

*** above written while keeping all the grammer rules in mind, n if i dont know all i guess it desnt really matter atleast to me.[p]

being serious[o)] , i.e. according to u using slang n all. if u want a totally professional site i guess than most of us wont be here n if the atmosphere is suffocating (not proper use of word but my inci binci brain cant think of something else) than i guess u wouldnt like coming here urself as ofen as u do now.
n theres always (or for u ppl shld be) space for fun. [B)]

Y is the WorLd so full of ..............FOOLs ?????? n y am I one of them ( .

- sajjad_dar2000 - 05-26-2005

<br />AoA

agreed...but noboby stated the reason for low quality posts.

i let you know the one main reason for low quality posts

I AM OUT OF FORUM[D][D][D]

identify other..........................

Sajjad Dar

- Desert Sleet - 05-27-2005

One of the unfortunate side-effects of the increasing popularity of this Accountancy forum is that the number of trolls, flame-warriors and all-around lamers increases as well, and it only takes a relatively small number of them to make a lot of noise. Keeping this noise to a minimum is one of the primary goals of the more regular members and Admin.

Since this accountancy forum is essentially an experiment in trying to solve the problems inherent in mass communication, one would expect its success to be variable, and indeed, this is the case. Some days it works great, and some days it doesn't.

- ehson - 05-28-2005

<br />AoA

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">I guess I've mentioned this earlier in one of the post on this forum that one of the best thing that internet could have provided is the virtual community. I've into using various pakistan based communities for a long time now. From my experiance I can say that in paki communites it is very difficult to keep a standardiesed (i.e. good) level of post. Reasons one you'd observe around you that majority of the students do not have professional attitude towards the studies. where students should disucss the research areas, student of my nation disscuss the opposite sex. Secondly, it is a community so in communites you'd find all sorts of people. Unfortunately major chunk of the communities of my nation are ......
This i guess is inevitable. However, we can try to motivate people to stay focused and be professional and i belive Mr. Ali has done a great job for the motivation, but mentioning name in your post might not be a good idea )