Accountancy Forum
A Level subjects to prepare for actuarial future - Printable Version

+- Accountancy Forum (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum)
+-- Forum: The Profession (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Career (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: A Level subjects to prepare for actuarial future (/showthread.php?tid=2297)

A Level subjects to prepare for actuarial future - yousuf_gatta - 08-04-2005

I have recently done ma O levelz.....And now will be applying for ma A levelz.I want to be an actuary....so thinking what subjects should i opt in my A levelz.....and what i have to do after ma A levelz(any degree/bachelors/masters) or directly go for actuary.
Waiting for Reply.............

- sumaaan - 08-04-2005

You've got to learn to search the forum.

- yousuf_gatta - 08-04-2005

well i dun think i could serach the answer of the question 'which subjects should i take for A levelz which be helpful if a pursue my career as an actuary?'.I dun think any where in the forum this is written.........so could u be kind enuff to help me.

- Syed - 08-04-2005

Math, Econ, Physics, Further Math with Stat option, and ofcourse...General paper. Why physics? Because it makes u a man...

And on a more serious note, take subjects that you like and can get good grades in, anything math/econ. Most importantly, sit for SOA/IOA prelim exams atleast once during ur A-levs. Try to intern during ur summers. Good luck.

- sumaaan - 08-05-2005

Further Maths, Maths, Economics, Accounts.

I presume if you change your mind and plan for something else after your GCE, you would probably go towards commerce. So these subjects would be the best choice for you.

- yousuf_gatta - 08-05-2005

and after A levelz any need for bachelors or masters degree or directly start for the actuary..........

- Syed - 08-06-2005

I would strongly recommend getting a bachelors if you ever intend to work outside Pakistan. I have a feeling US companies require a bachelors...but I could be wrong. Masters...don't sweat it! Doesn't matter beyond bachelors in this field.

- insaan - 08-07-2005

any subject related to statistics would be an excelent
and also some preliminary maths having integration and diffrentiation
besides these
economics..no need of accounts as such
buut i wod really stress on advanced stats

- yousuf_gatta - 08-07-2005

A levelz mai koi 'advanced stats' subject hota hai? havent heard of it D

- derivativetrader - 08-07-2005

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Tahoma, Arial" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by yousuf_gatta</i>
<br />A levelz mai koi 'advanced stats' subject hota hai? havent heard of it D
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Take as many maths / stats modules possible during your A Levels. You also need some understanding of Finance, so also make a habit of reading business pages of a good quality national/international paper.

DT