Accountancy Forum
Whay CA`s are weak in English ? - Printable Version

+- Accountancy Forum (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum)
+-- Forum: The Profession (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Career (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Whay CA`s are weak in English ? (/showthread.php?tid=2323)

Whay CA`s are weak in English ? - zee_cma - 08-10-2005

Hi guys,

Its not to degrade anyone please......

I have bit experience of working with CA`s. They are poor in English!!!!!. Their professional correspondance even has wrong use of English... n I m not talking abt spealings.

Have anyone noticed......any comments
and whay its so.....

Smile ! GOD loves you.....
www.zee-cma.4t.com

- Shahbaz - 08-10-2005

Posted - Aug 09 2005 74931 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi guys,

Its not to degrade anyone please......

I have bit experience of working with CA`s. They are poor in English!!!!!. Their professional correspondance even has wrong use of English... n I m not talking abt spealings.( SPELLING HOTA HAI I GUESS)

Have anyone noticed......any comments
and whay its so.....

Maamo pehlay apni english ki fiker karo .. aur CAs ki english kaafi achi hoti hai .. as compared to CMAs .. mein is liye keh sakta hoon cuz mein CA se CMA mein gia hoon to mujhe pata chal raha hai k kia difference hai ) thanks .. no hard feelings ok )

Beleive Da Hype !!!

- maani - 08-11-2005

Yeah I agree with you Shahbaz...
I also want to add a point here that their is a difference between written and spoken english...I consider written english as a skill which we must practice, spoken english depends upon your enviornment, the people with whom you interact and ofcourse your schooling.

Ace

- Pracs - 08-11-2005

The main reason is ofcourse schooling, alot of CAs and ACMAs or for that matter other professionals may not have an english medium schooling background. Having said that the standard of education on a general level is quite appalling, including some of the more expensive private schools in Pakistan.

Needless to say that student's level of English is directly proportional to that of their teachers, so we are in more of a vicious circle here.

Mani is right on the spoken and written front. However, I do find that most CAs and CMAs (that is once they qualify) make no ammends or efforts to improve upon their writting skills. I have had the experience of working with a lot of accountants from across the world and have nothing encouraging to report there. Most people find it quite difficult to construct a string of words into some thing logical. This is true for people coming from English speaking countries as well. The response that I usually get is that an accountant is'nt supposed to be a person expert in languages ! for that you have journalists and other humanities graduates. (This is what I got from an accountant educated and trained at a Big4 in the UK)

Among Pakistani accountants I see a major reason being a general lack of reading. So it boils down to this. Accountants not only have poor language skills but are also ignorant of what goes around. Exceptions withstanding !

- maani - 08-12-2005

"but are also ignorant of what goes around."
Pracs will you plz tell us something more about your statement.

Ace

- Pracs - 08-12-2005

as in general knowledge, literature, arts, get my drift ?

- fardeen_1984 - 08-13-2005

salam it may b but i dont think so if a person have a confidence so it can do each n every thing

- sportyspice - 08-19-2005

i fully agree with pracs and would like to add soemthing. english is necessary for good communication skills and pakistanis sure do lack that...as far as CA's are concerned they come from a variety of schools and most of them doesnt get the previlage of studying in hi-fi private schools offering O and A levels( or even good quality matric and inter as a matter of fact)so u really cant expect much of them.....however,there is always room for improvement...the draw back they suffer is that even after doing there inter they dont get a chance to study in a full fledge university where their personality could be groomed. studying in tabannis or cams is just like going to a commercialized tution centre( and they dont have any other option do they?).
they are hardworking and studious but should concentrate on their communication skills aswell. i heard that these days ca's are being introduced to presentations and all that stuff which is good.remember techanical skills without good communcation skills can hamper ur growth. gone are the days when BA's use to get induct in banks and are heading them these days. u really need to be competent.

and for shahbaz most probably u r a ca student.dont get pissed off and instead wasting ur time by criticizing spelling errors u should accept the reality and try to do something about it.zee_cma's english may not be good but he sure did raised a valid point.

- Xak - 08-23-2005

are you ppl talking about ca students or those professionals?..if thats students you're talking about, then you may find it in any field...if you're talking about professionals....they are far ahead than anyone....specially in our field it is important...and in written communication..ca's are on top....
this topic is debateable....both sides may have examples....its not very strict...
over'n'out!