Accountancy Forum
Scope of CFA in Pakistan? - Printable Version

+- Accountancy Forum (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum)
+-- Forum: The Profession (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Career (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Scope of CFA in Pakistan? (/showthread.php?tid=2684)

Pages: 1 2 3

Scope of CFA in Pakistan? - hanifasif - 11-23-2005

- derivativetrader - 11-23-2005

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Tahoma, Arial" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">
the scope of CFA in pakistan. Sectors open?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

It depends what are actually planning to do in Pakistan. Bear in mind that the local market is not sophesticated and you may not be able to utilise your advanced knowledge that you would have acquired from CFA in financial markets in Pakistan.

I'm sure CFA would look good on your resume but I don't know how effectively you would be developing your skills set. I've heard that many large private equity groups are establishing themselves in Dubai so if your are fluent with Arabic and do acquire CFA in next couple of years, in my view, that would be a lot better career transition.

DT

- hanifasif - 11-24-2005

Thanks for your reply. I am looking for carrer in investment banking.

Asif

- derivativetrader - 11-24-2005

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Tahoma, Arial" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">
I am looking for carrer in investment banking.

IB is very vague term. Please be specific.

DT

- derivativetrader - 11-26-2005

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Tahoma, Arial" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by hanifasif</i>
<br />Corporate Finance, and what they say "thats where big money is"

CFA is seen as the qualification for buyside careers. I don't think a CFA would help you much to get a job in Corporate Finance division of an investment bank. Please note that this might not be the case for Pakistan. However, I am talking from the London & NY's market point of view.

- derivativetrader - 11-26-2005

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Tahoma, Arial" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by hanifasif</i>
<br />Corporate Finance, "thats where big money is"

Apparently, most of the largest and successful investment houses have made more money from the fixed income businesses than advisory. So, your statement might well had been the case in dot com phase but certainly doesn't hold in todays's market conditions.

- hanifasif - 11-28-2005

waiting

- ehson - 12-01-2005

I think the person sharing his/her views, would be at a better place if you can tell a little bit about yourself. Like your experiance, education level

- sumaaan - 12-03-2005

Considering it would take you MINIMUM three years to complete CFA, I'm sure you wouldn't get as good a break (monetary and position wise) as the position you'd be in your company after three years.

You have a lot to fall back upon (ACCA/CIA/work-experience/good-job). I'd say, continue with your job and in the meantime if you feel like doing CFA, you do that. CFA LII and LIII are held only ONCE a year. So if you risk your job and start only with CFA, and you fail LII or LIII, you'll have to wait ONE WHOLE year to reattempt.

So ask yourself.. is it worth it?

- ehson - 12-03-2005

hanifasif considering the amount of experiance you have if have some good links in Pakistan, you'd be able to secure a decent job. For that I'd recomend you to apply for the jobs from Saudi Arabia. If you get a compensation mix which suits your expecations do comeover otherwise stay there and do CFA along with your job. I guess sumaaan has made a very valid point, you must consider things yourself.
Quiting your current job before you find a job in Pakistan or to have a full time enrollement to CFA doesnt sound good to me. Again, we can only advice you have to evaluate the alternates. Wish you best of luck. May Allah (swt) help you with e'thing and your future plans.

- hanifasif - 12-04-2005

Thanks guys )

- ehson - 12-05-2005

always welcome

- iftykhar - 12-07-2005

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Tahoma, Arial" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by derivativetrader</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Tahoma, Arial" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">

It depends what are actually planning to do in Pakistan. Bear in mind that the local market is not sophesticated and you may not be able to utilise your advanced knowledge that you would have acquired from CFA in financial markets in Pakistan.

I'm sure CFA would look good on your resume but I don't know how effectively you would be developing your skills set. I've heard that many large private equity groups are establishing themselves in Dubai so if your are fluent with Arabic and do acquire CFA in next couple of years, in my view, that would be a lot better career transition.

DT

- iftykhar - 12-07-2005

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Tahoma, Arial" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by derivativetrader</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Tahoma, Arial" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">

DT

- hanifasif - 12-15-2005

"The CFA is like jumping into a freezing cold pool of knowledge; invigorating, absorbing, consuming, the threat of hypothermia if you don't keep swimming. But that cold rush is like a smack in the face letting you know you don't need a room with tables and teachers to get more education. You just need some initiative coupled with some good materials"