Accountancy Forum
MBA-Finance or MS-Finance, better one? - Printable Version

+- Accountancy Forum (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum)
+-- Forum: The Profession (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Students (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: MBA-Finance or MS-Finance, better one? (/showthread.php?tid=2944)

MBA-Finance or MS-Finance, better one? - Mubashir - 02-20-2006

AOA
Your precious opinion required, regarding MBA(Finance) or MS Finance).
Firstly I am interested in setting up my career as a Finance and Investment, Analyst and Planning in Banking Sector. (Financial Analyst)
Right now I am waiting for my graduation results, B.Com-II.
As for my query, will MBA support me in my future career or MS-finance? I will make a go for CFA, soon, inshallah.
I learned from forum previous posts that an MBA-finance gives you an all-round administrative knowledge keeping also in view about financial fields, whereas MS-finance gives the whole sole knowledge about the financial world.
Keeping the job requirements in view, a master is a must and nowadays there are many jobs available for MBA finance in the analyst field as compared to MS finance. (I haven’t seen one yet)
There are many institutes providing the programs in MBA finance. But I came across only IBA which is providing MS finance. Are there any other institute? I know IBA is among the toppers for Pakistan but are there some other good institutes proving MS program. And pls can you give information about the admission requirements and procedure in MS of IBA.
One thing more, how can I get internship in my field?
It would be very helpful for me if you could solve these problems. Pls post your opinion keeping the scenario of current and future position and requirement of this field in Pakistan and Middle East.
If you know about any topic discussed in the past which has resemblance to my queries, pls do inform me or attach a link.
I know there will be someone out there.
Regards,
Mubashir.

- Aamir Qureshi - 02-21-2006

<font face="Times New Roman"></font id="Times New Roman">

Dear Mubashir!

I m an MBA(Finance)myself.So i may advise you that i have also compared MS and MBA in finance after doing MBA and i have found out that MBA(finance)is much more oriented towards the job market in Pakistan. But if u see the subjects in MS(finance) they are more informative but very hard for a new student of Finance. I would recommend u that you should go for MBA.

Regards

Aamir Qureshi

- sportyspice - 02-21-2006

boss for admission into iba u require a four years bachelors program, however bcom two years may still be accepted i am not sure. just check out their website. www.iba.edu.pk .as for ms finance is concerned it is a very good option if u do it from iba. for a bcom student i believe mba is much better as it has a wide market scope. ms finance can be good for those who already have a general bachelors degree such as bba 4 years , but ms finance not to forget better equips you for cfa and if u r good in finance than there is no stopping. zabist and hamdard also offer ms finance but a i told u if u want to do ms than do it form iba only otherwise go for mba.

- Mubashir - 02-22-2006

Thanks Aamir and sportyspice.
I will make a quick search for the admission criteria in IBA.
But have one question more. Keeping the banking and investment sectors in view, is the door of internship open for MS students as they are available for MBA?
Mubashir.

- sportyspice - 02-24-2006

yes as i told you ms finance is a specialized field in finance and much more forused than mba. it is bound to give one edge over traditonal mba's when it comes to hardcore finance jobs, however ms from only iba is worthwhile. lums doesnt yet offer ms in finance. anything form iba and lums is going to be of quality. as i said do ms only for ibs ohterwise go for mba becuase mba from an average uni even will help you get a decent job. after doing ms you are eligible for highly specialized jobs which in case from any other uni will not get the appropriate response. if you are good in studies ms is a good option and try doing mba later on when you have several years of experience ubder your belt. it is really going to be useful otherwise go for mba as mubashir said that atleast you will be able to complete it and again mab form iba lums cbm etc is going to get a good response.

- sportyspice - 02-24-2006

sorry i meant aamir instead of mubashir)....

- the_farhan - 02-26-2006

<font face="Verdana">
MBA(Finance) covers many non-financial/qualitative areas of business too in addition to Finance (eg HRM, MIS, MArketing, Strategic planning, Business Research, Organizational Behavior, etc). so it is better suited for all-round type of jobs where u interact with accross-the-department affairs. eg, developing a new product plan where its economic/financial aspects are studied in perspective of its likely/target market(consumers) and required skills or traininggs for our employesse or hiring etc etc. ie all business areas put together. here, MBA(finance) has edge over other qualifications.

but in comparision to MS(finance/economics), MBA covers smaller portion of finance. MS(finance) is totally finance n finance n finance. nothing else. such a person is mis-fit in above scenario where cross-functional activities come into play. but MS finance person dominates over MBA in area of finance bcoz it covers lot of finance in much much broader/detailed way.

so if u want to b in functional/departmental affairs of finance only, prefer MS. but if u wanna b all-round manager who deals with non-financial aspects too, prefer MBA. anyway, u can do both as well. it shall only add in ur value ))) why to shortlist!!!!

as u ve plans for CFA, it alone is enough to give cutting edge over any finance qualification. CFA is infact all about investments, portfolios, treasuries, funds, and corporate finance. but (like MS finance) it does not cover other aspects of business.

furthermore, i m not sure whether AIMR (owner institute of CFA qualification)will accept 2-year B.Comm degree as a GRADUATION degree or not bcoz all arround the world, Graduation is supposed to be at-least 3-yr n preferably 4-yr degree (especially in USA, it is 4-yr).

my advice is tht if CFA is ur ultimate destination, do MBA or MS first, it shall b counted towards 4-yr degree requirements abroad (is 2-yr b.com + 2-yr MS/MBA). then start job, n do CFA along with it. but if CFA is not ur ultimate gioal, i suggest tht u do both MS n MBA bcoz these two eliminate the weakness/lackings of each other beautifully.

</font id="Verdana">

FARHAN

live, n let live ...

- the_farhan - 02-26-2006

<font face="Verdana">
MS finance is relatively new in pakistan, but capturing the atension of employers rapidly. i ve personnaly seen ads in DAWN newsppr asking for MS (Finance/Economics). so dont b afraid. the type of work tht u ve mentioned in ur query make me feel tht MS-Finance will b better option for u. however take ur own decision.

in addition to iba, i guess LUMS offers it too or at least they ve MS (Economics). BIZTEK (A-rated by HEC) also offers MS in both. i think SZABIST also offers MS in finance n economics.
</font id="Verdana">

FARHAN

live, n let live ...

- Mubashir - 02-27-2006

Thanks a lot. You all have provided me a clear view about this field.

Well, for admission in ms from IBA, the graduation level of B.Com is acceptable. There is an aptitude test which should be cleared. The previous session of ms program in IBA was deferred till fall of 2006 because minimum number of candidates did not qualify the aptitude test.

As for the eligibility in the CFA program, a degree is a must. I asked a CFA member and was told that B.Com also qualifies for the basic entrance requirements.

One thing more, can you suggest me a book on Financial Management, which would guide me right from the introductory level to some intermediate level.

And need some information on the aptitude test of ms finance.

Once again thanks for in-depth analysis.
Regards,
Mubashir.

- sportyspice - 02-27-2006

i dont have much idea about ms finance test except for that it will be similar to gmat or gre pattern. iba tests include a section each on english, maths, GK, and intelligence. for ms finance there willbe a section on finance aswell. if u guyz got to know anything elz plz do tell me aswell. btw r u planning to sit for the test this summer if yes than we can be of help to each other as i am planning to do the same.
as for cfa u should check the latest updates on their website becuz as far as i know they require a four years bachelors degree or a bachelors plus a masters if u have two years bachelors degree. previously bcom was accepted. that member may not be updated on the issue (i may be wrong).
for finance financial management by VAN HORN is a good option and it is eas to digest for an elementary,

- naqi - 02-13-2011

AOA

I HAVE DONE MASTER IN ECONOMICS & FINANCE FROM UNIVERSITY OF KARACHI IN 2010. NOW A DAYS, I AM WORKING IN A BANK. PLEASE GUIDE ME WHAT I DO, MBA THAT IS VERY COMMON, OR MS(FINANCE) FROM A GOOD UNIVERSITY LIKE SZABIST. ?

- TAHIR NAVEED - 10-27-2011

I complete my MBA (Finance), can now i am able to do MS Finance now????

- m.malik - 10-29-2011

Who can stop you? You may get some exemptions Do MS finance & later M.com. make sure you don't get bald!