Accountancy Forum
Share Experience and Skills - Printable Version

+- Accountancy Forum (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum)
+-- Forum: General (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Share Experience and Skills (/showthread.php?tid=3025)

Share Experience and Skills - hanifasif - 03-16-2006

Dear Friends,

I want to start this new thread. The purpose is to share each other's professional work skills, experiences and those small things which can help one become a better professional. It will not only add on to skills of the experienced ones but also help new entrants in the field of professional accountancy.

So here is my humble contribution.

I have realized that 30% of work (the kind of accountancy work I do) is normal routine nature but 70% work requires follow-up. So what I do is that I write down all the pending work or the other work requiring follow-up (even the smallest thing) on a note pad and keep on carrying forward until work is satisfactorily finished. Well, that may appear a very small thing but it has helped me a lot and saved me many times from embarrassing situations.

Waiting for others to share their tidbits. Please do contribute and lets share the power (even derived from small things) that has made Pakistani Accountants amongst the best in the world.

Kind regards,

Asif

- Azeem Shah Khan - 03-22-2006

Hi all

Nice topic Hanif, good to see something constructive.

I cant think of anything too exciting at this time of the day (730pm in office) but in order to keep this thread rolling I must write something so there you go

We all use MS Excel for majority of our workings/schedules/reports etc so here are few very basic yet extremely useful tips

I always find it easier/quicker to use Keyboard shortcuts or customised icons to run basic commands like copy/pasting/cutting etc. I am sure everyone knows the short-cuts for these commands (you can shout if you dont know) so I wont waste time on this, what I would rather share is a list of commonly used ICONS (otherthan Standard Icons)that can be placed on the task bar to increase your work speed

<b>1. Insert Row Icon</b>
Go in Tools (top of the screen)----->Customise
Go in Command Tab-------->then click on Insert (on left side of the pop window)
Then Select ROW (from left side of the pop window) and drag it to your task bar.

This will increase your speed inserting new rows in your worksheet.

<b>2. Insert Column Icon</b>
Same as in (1) but instead of selecting ROW, Select COLUMN and drag.

<b>3. Delete Row/Column Icon</b>
Repeat the same untill you get into Command tab
Then select EDIT and scroll down the right hand side of the pop-up window and select Delete Row or Column Icon and drag it to your task bar.

Similarly various other useful icons can be placed on the task bar for e.g.

Sub-total
Group
Un-Group
Set Print Area
Clear Print Area
Trace Precedents (very useful if you use complex formulas)
Remove Precedent Arrows
Trace Dependants
Remove Dependant Arrows
Trace Error (once again extremely useful for complex formulas)

and so on.....

Try the above icons when you are working on a spreadsheet, hopefully you will find these basics very handy.

I would love to share some more tricks/tips and shortcuts in Excel as well creating complex formulas and pivot tables depending on the response from other members. I would appreciate if other members could also share Excel as well as other tips.

Kind regards

Azeem

"You don't get to choose how you're going to die. Or when. You can only decide how you're going to live. Now."

- Azeem Shah Khan - 03-23-2006

Hi Hanif

As expected HONOURABLE members of this forum are not very interested in such a boring topic. Ofcourse in presence of highly intellectual topics like sex with wife, it is easy to sleep with an accountant etc the idea of sharing knowledge, experience and skills seem mind-numbing.

Kind regards

Azeem

"You don't get to choose how you're going to die. Or when. You can only decide how you're going to live. Now."

- fatima ca - 03-25-2006

hmmm hi
v nice Asif ur habit is good and nice contribution from Azeem.
i wanna say thing for Pakistani accountants that they dont get nervous in complex situations at their work and can reach to some solutions and this is due to Icap's examinations which test our nervous system too.

goodluck every body

hmm

- 786 - 03-29-2006

aoa

I am writing this message specially to <b>hanifasif</b> and <b>azeem shah khan</b>
i am writin this message to u coz u seem experienced in this field
can u plz plz advice me that what opportunities a person has whos has done AAT from uk and also sage line 50 from uk
i want to know the options in pakistan
plz plz advice something
i really need help
i know both of u not in pk bhut still can't u refer to some one
or by ur experience can advice something

- 786 - 03-29-2006

i posted this message in this place coz feel like u check it more often then other places

- Azeem Shah Khan - 03-29-2006

Walaikum assalaam

I am afraid not too many people use Sage Line 50 in Pak (I am not aware of any business who is operating it - there may be some). Pakistan is a place where typical employers usually go for popular qualifications, Pak is a place where the supply of qualified accountants with multiple qualifications is in abundance. In a place like this I dont think AAT stand anywhere, which is very unfortunate as I think AAT with experience best suit book-keeping positions. Unfortunately in Pak such jobs go to people with B-Com, M-Com, QBE etc if such positions are not already filled by people with Sifaarish.

I personally think if someone is AAT qualified with book-keeping/accounting experience and working knowledge of Sage Line 50, the best place to be in is UK.

I hope I have answered your questions.

Kind regards

Azeem

- 786 - 03-30-2006

aoa

i am really grateful to u for ur such a realistic and prompt reply.
can u plz answer one more question
that is
can u advice me something abt going for cima or acca or any masters
i am really sorry if i am bothering u again and again but the thing is at the moment i am my self stuck and dunno where to start or what would be good for me.
i know the worth of my qualification in uk but the prob is i can't stay more in uk and have to go back in june to pakistan.
i would be really pleased if u could guide me in some way or the other

thanks
kind regards