Accountancy Forum
Share Experience and Skills - Printable Version

+- Accountancy Forum (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum)
+-- Forum: The Profession (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Career (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Share Experience and Skills (/showthread.php?tid=3030)

Pages: 1 2

Share Experience and Skills - hanifasif - 03-18-2006

Dear Friends,

I want to start this new thread. The purpose is to share each other's professional work skills, experiences and those small things which can help one become a better professional. It will not only add on to skills of the experienced ones but also help new entrants in the field of professional accountancy.

So here is my humble contribution.

I have realized that 30% of work (the kind of accountancy work I do) is normal routine nature but 70% work requires follow-up. So what I do is that I write down all the pending work or the other work requiring follow-up (even the smallest thing) on a note pad and keep on carrying forward until work is satisfactorily finished. Well, that may appear a very small thing but it has helped me a lot and saved me many times from embarrassing situations.

Waiting for others to share their tidbits. Please do contribute and lets share the power (even derived from small things) that has made Pakistani Accountants amongst the best in the world.

Kind regards,

Asif

- hanifasif - 03-20-2006

I think my friends here dont want to share their "secret" weapons.

- derivativetrader - 03-21-2006

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Tahoma, Arial" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by hanifasif</i>

lets share the power (even derived from small things) that has made Pakistani Accountants amongst the best in the world.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

I like that!![)][)][)]

- Azeem Shah Khan - 03-23-2006

Hi all

Nice topic Hanif, good to see something constructive.

I cant think of anything too exciting at this time of the day (730pm in office) but in order to keep this thread rolling I must write something so there you go

We all use MS Excel for majority of our workings/schedules/reports etc so here are few very basic yet extremely useful tips

I always find it easier/quicker to use Keyboard shortcuts or customised icons to run basic commands like copy/pasting/cutting etc. I am sure everyone knows the short-cuts for these commands (you can shout if you dont know) so I wont waste time on this, what I would rather share is a list of commonly used ICONS (otherthan Standard Icons)that can be placed on the task bar to increase your work speed

1. Insert Row Icon
Go in Tools (top of the screen)----->Customise
Go in Command Tab-------->then click on Insert (on left side of the pop window)
Then Select ROW (from left side of the pop window) and drag it to your task bar.

This will increase your speed inserting new rows in your worksheet.

2. Insert Column Icon
Same as in (1) but instead of selecting ROW, Select COLUMN and drag.

3. Delete Row/Column Icon
Repeat the same untill you get into Command tab
Then select EDIT and scroll down the right hand side of the pop-up window and select Delete Row or Column Icon and drag it to your task bar.

Similarly various other useful icons can be placed on the task bar for e.g.

Sub-total
Group
Un-Group
Set Print Area
Clear Print Area
Trace Precedents (very useful if you use complex formulas)
Remove Precedent Arrows
Trace Dependants
Remove Dependant Arrows
Trace Error (once again extremely useful for complex formulas)

and so on.....

Try the above icons when you are working on a spreadsheet, hopefully you will find these basics very handy.

I would love to share some more tricks/tips and shortcuts in Excel as well creating complex formulas and pivot tables depending on the response from other members. I would appreciate if other members could also share Excel as well as other tips.

Kind regards

Azeem

"You don't get to choose how you're going to die. Or when. You can only decide how you're going to live. Now."

- Azeem Shah Khan - 03-23-2006

Hi Hanif

As expected HONOURABLE members of this forum are not very interested in such a boring topic. Ofcourse in presence of highly intellectual topics like sex with wife, it is easy to sleep with an accountant etc the idea of sharing knowledge, experience and skills seem mind-numbing.

Kind regards

Azeem

"You don't get to choose how you're going to die. Or when. You can only decide how you're going to live. Now."

- Azeem Shah Khan - 03-24-2006

Few more basic tips specially for the trainees working in practice

Try to remember commonly used General Ledger codes, this will immensely speed-up your posting/book-keeping skills. My experience suggests there are usually 20-30 commonly used GL accounts (both P&L and BS) and if you know them you cant only do the postings within no time plus you can also impress your supervisor.

Also try to remember client codes, that will help too.

- hanifasif - 03-29-2006

Here is one more tip that has worked fairly well for me.

If you have very short time for exam prep and you fear you might fail, simply start studying from the end of the book i.e. from the index given at the end of the book. The index, as you know, contain almost all the key terms. See the page number given against each term and read from the main text. You will find yourself feeling comfortable with the whole text book even if you have not read it all. and you will see how different topics inter-relate. Past exam papers are equally important but doing them will be worthless if you are not familiar with the key terms.

Well I am not sure whether you liked this technique but it has worked for me and perhaps it might for you as well.

Regards,

Asif

- hanifasif - 04-01-2006

waiting for others to...

- Pracs - 04-01-2006

I guess part of one's skills as an accountant is managing resources,. people who work with you and at times working for accounting firms I have had upto 15-20 people working with me. How do yoou go about managing people, different personality types and different skill sets, different nationalities. What should be more important for a team leader ? Deadlines, deliverables or your staff ? I have realised that a calculated mix of all three are the necessary ingredient of a 'good job'. Deliverables are expected of any job,. the client expects that to happen, deadlines in the world of Finance and Corporates is an integral part of the job, Resources ? are as important since that is what makes things go. There are quite a many leadership traits that can be used,.. Leading from the front (a bit autocratic at times), Laz e faire (let people do what they want and interfere only when things go wrong etc.)there are quite a many others as well.

I believe in a mix of these again, you need to lead from the front on some issues, such as technical support and administrative issue but since we work with 'professional accountants' as such there needs to be a little room for letting people manage their own skills and work in the best efficient manner there is to. A team leader therefore needs to do the following

- identify best possible skill sets within the team and allocate like wise
- let people have the opportunity to develop thier skills and enrich experience,.. a person who is on improving him/her self is at times more effective than an experiences resource who has no interest in that particular skill set.
- Work on the mechanics of feed back on a daily basis if possible. Getting on top of it all earlier on is always the best way to 'avert' a situation
- Client relationship is important and should be a 'considerable factor'in all of your team's daily work routine
-And last of all be prepared for the unexpected and always have some time on your budget for 'knick knacks' that may just prop up at the last moment.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Failure is a word unknown to me" - M A Jinnah

- Beyond_instincts - 04-23-2006

AOA dear friends
Most of the people using word processing programmes such as MS-WORD, Excel,PowerPoint are "Mouse Oriented".Without using mouse they can not even create and edit a simple table. print keyboard shortcuts for you....Open the MS-Word Window.Go to tools>macro>Macros.In "Macros in" drop down box..click Word Commands. and in Macro name dialogue box write ListCommands.Now click run. and and click OK.
Microsoft word will print all keyboard shortcuts for you..

Regards....beyond_instincts

Topic

- hanifasif - 04-23-2006

wow, i did not know that. I just got the print out of all keyboard shortcuts. Thanks buddy. hey guys keep this thread rolling, i am sure many people will benefit from your exp/skills.

kind regards,

Asif

- Azeem Shah Khan - 04-24-2006

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Tahoma, Arial" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Beyond_instincts</i>
<br />AOA dear friends
Most of the people using word processing programmes such as MS-WORD, Excel,PowerPoint are "Mouse Oriented".Without using mouse they can not even create and edit a simple table. print keyboard shortcuts for you....Open the MS-Word Window.Go to tools>macro>Macros.In "Macros in" drop down box..click Word Commands. and in Macro name dialogue box write ListCommands.Now click run. and and click OK.
Microsoft word will print all keyboard shortcuts for you..

Regards....beyond_instincts

Topic

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

good one bro!

cheers

- Beyond_instincts - 04-30-2006

ssalamualaykum
In previous version of WORD and EXCEL a user was not able to define his own
keyboard shortcuts and the users were bound to the keyboard shortcuts specified by the developers
But now Word Processors are made so that the user can manually set the keyboard shortcuts.
In microsoft Word and Excel,this is a very easy process.Try following steps to create your own keyboard
shortcuts
Click TOOLS>CUSTOMIZE and click on the COMMANDS tab.
Now suppose you want to change the keyboard shortcut for OPENING A NEW FILE..
click on FILE and on the bottom click KEYBOARD.
Now in CATEGORIES click FILE and in COMMANDS click FILENEW
a keyboard shortcut will appear.Click on Remove button at the bottom
Now click on PRESS KEY SHORTCUT and press a new desired key combination for example CTRL and H at a time then click ASSIGN..

And thats all from BEYOND_INSTINCTS[)]

- Beyond_instincts - 04-30-2006

Assalamualaykum
keyboard shortcuts and the users were bound to the keyboard shortcuts specified by the developers
But now Word Processors are made so that the user can manually set the keyboard shortcuts.
In microsoft Word and Excel,this is a very easy process.Try following steps to create your own keyboard
shortcuts
Now click on PRESS KEY SHORTCUT click ASSIGN..

BEYOND_INSTINCTS
i am the "school of thought"

- Beyond_instincts - 05-02-2006

Assalamualaykum
shortcuts
Now click on PRESS KEY SHORTCUT click ASSIGN..

BEYOND_INSTINCTS
The school of thoughts...