Accountancy Forum
What is meant by Actuaries - Printable Version

+- Accountancy Forum (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum)
+-- Forum: The Profession (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Firms (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: What is meant by Actuaries (/showthread.php?tid=3254)

What is meant by Actuaries - Zikria Yamin - 05-14-2006

AOA
Dear Dosto;
Yesterdays i heard that the value of an Actury is equal to a Chartered Accountant and he erns more than a chartered accountant.

Please tell me what is meant by Actuary? and how it can be better paid as the CA's.

Thanks
Zikria

- Zikria Yamin - 05-14-2006

My Dears
Please tell me any one from this forum.
Please tell me about the Actauries, I am waiting for the replies.
Thanks
Zikria

- Muhammad Ahmad - 05-14-2006

I do not know much, but my concept about ACturial Scientists is that they are highly paid people and are far beeter qualified than a chartered accountants. Acturial science invovle complex methimetical calculations used by the insurance,banking copanienes etc. These pople are also working as fund manager and have the ability to develop schemes like retirement benifits,WWf, and benovelont funds.To me there are only few acturialist in pak..........

regards
[)]

- Pracs - 05-14-2006

Again, there is a whole thread dedicated to this topic (a sticky!) and is very useful on this topic, I would advise you to visit that

http//www.accountancy.com.pk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=229&whichpage=1

- Muhammad Ahmad - 05-15-2006

Punjab university is also offering MSC in acturial science

- Muhammad Adnan Arshad - 05-17-2006

PU (Hailey College of Banking Finance), Lahore has also started its first session of BBA/MBA (Insurance & Risk Management) under the supervision of 'Professor Dr. Khawaja Amjad Saeed'.

"ACTUARY" is an expert in insurance matters, development & implementation of employees retirement benefits schemes (like provident funds, gratuities, pension funds, allowances etc) & in various other fields of actuarial sciences..

- Zikria Yamin - 05-17-2006

Dear Friends
According to the opion of some people the Acturies are much paid than the Chartered Accountants and have greater reputation in market than Chartered Accountants.
Is it true?

Thanks
Zikria

- Pracs - 05-18-2006

Yes Zikria, your some people are correct,. Actuaries are paid more than CAs.. but there is no comparison, Actuaries are not accountants. Its pretty much like comparing apples and oranges

- Zikria Yamin - 05-18-2006

Dear Prac
What is the methodolizy of Acturial Studies. Whether they are taought as degrees just as B.Sc, M.Sc or as a professional studies like ACCA, CPA and CA.
Thnks
Zikria

- derivativetrader - 05-19-2006

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Tahoma, Arial" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Zikria Yamin</i>
<br />Dear Prac
What is the methodolizy of Acturial Studies. Whether they are taought as degrees just as B.Sc, M.Sc or as a professional studies like ACCA, CPA and CA.
Thnks
Zikria
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Its a professional field and thus examined by professional bodies.

- Zikria Yamin - 05-20-2006

But
The universities Like Punjab University, Karachi university,UNSW Sydney, Australian National University etc are delivering it on degree basis as B.com with Acturial Studies and MSc in Acturial Studies.

Then how we can nominate it as professional Studies.
Please reply earlier.
THKS
Zikria

- derivativetrader - 05-21-2006

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Tahoma, Arial" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Zikria Yamin</i>
<br />But
The universities Like Punjab University, Karachi university,UNSW Sydney, Australian National University etc are delivering it on degree basis as B.com with Acturial Studies and MSc in Acturial Studies.

Then how we can nominate it as professional Studies.
Please reply earlier.
THKS
Zikria
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

I think it would be a good idea to go over other actuarial threads on this forum where these questions have already been discussed.

You could do actuarial degrees but these qualifications on their own wouldn't make you an actuary. They might help you in gaining some exemptions from the professional bodies but to qualify as an actuary you have to fullfill certain requirements. One of those requirements is passing all exams set by these professional bodies. Think of actuarial profession as chartered accountancy. I think this is the best analogy.

DT