Accountancy Forum
Can ACCA qualified get admission in LUMS - Printable Version

+- Accountancy Forum (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum)
+-- Forum: The Profession (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Students (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Can ACCA qualified get admission in LUMS (/showthread.php?tid=330)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Can ACCA qualified get admission in LUMS - Omar - 09-30-2003

I am doing CAT I just wanted to know why the ACCA qualified cant get admission in LUMS and IBA . As what is the major difference between LUMS BSC (hons) in Applied Accountancy and Oxford Brookes BSC (hons). As IBA and LUMS dont take the ACCA qualified. Although ACCA is world recognized qualification why not in PAKISTAN ?

- Farhan Ali - 09-30-2003

i just have two words for that.... "illplaced vanity"...

may i could do it one word also ... "stupidity"

- zubair - 10-03-2003

Its news to me... that LUMS and IBA dont entertain ACCA qualifieds. The best things is to ask LUMS and they might have a perfectly valid reason. However, my experience of Pakistans market is that there is a degree of superiority complex amongst few institutions, which is a real barrier to the professional development.

I am an ACCA qualified expanding my practice in to Pakistan, my opinion is that all is going to change with in our tenure of operations.

Students should aim to develope themself whichever body they are with. Remember, its your own long terms objectives that should form the basis of professional developement with any particular institute.

For the benefits of those who have not seen international markets, let me tell you nobody knows LUMS or IBA on the international stage. I Myself been to IBA as well. Few people know about Pakistans national institute. However, everybody knows ACCA.

This was an honest assessment of the situtaion and was meant to provide guidance to new students. I did not try to degrade any body. To me everybody is the best.

- jaybeee - 02-19-2010

@Omar I am a student at LUMS so I can only offer its position. LUMS does not have a program in Applied Accounting, it has a BSc (hon's) in Accounting and Finance. ACCA qualified are not taken as in principle it is a BSc degree but in practice it is vastly different from what LUMS offers. In the program there, you basically go through an accelerated MBA with courses in Financial Reporting, Corporate Finance but also more intensive ones in Management, Marketing, HRM etc. Apart from that you have to engage in a lot of Economics ranging from simple principles to hard core stuff like Econometrics and Industrial Organization as well as Game Theory. Even the Financial part is very thorough covering not only rudimentary level courses but also going deep into derivatives, stochastic calculus and Financial industry like the commercial banks and Islamic Banking. There are also multiple projects at each stage, I myself have done well over a dozen projects for the Accounting and Finance program and still have more to do. Aside from that, you also need to take compulsory courses from a big list from fields ranging from Psychology, History and Literature to Anthropology and Sociology etc. That's the reason they dont accept a certification as enough for LUMS directly as it only includes giving exams in a very specialized area. Other than that, you can give the LUMS entry test and still start yout bachelors program like a normal entrant, but you wont get special treatment for ACCA.

Many Accounting and Finance students from LUMS even graduate, having cleared CFA Level 1 as well normally with the university study.

- jaybeee - 02-19-2010

@ Zubair To the contrary, Pakistan's institutions are known very well in my experience. LUMS happens to be one of the few universities in the country who's credit hours are easily transferrable to most international universities very easily as their programs are recognized. Their instructors are to a great extent renowned as well and the students routinely gain easy admissions into universities in UK and the US. Fresh graduates from the BSc (hon's) Accounting and Finance program have even taken jobs in PWC UK, McKinsey UK and other big names across Britain upon applying online from Pakistan, having beaten contenders from Oxford and Cambridge even. So the quality that it has to offer in the Bachelors program at least is something to reckon with.

- Dard - 02-19-2010

MBA of any university doesn't require bachelors degree in accounting/finance only. It can be in any discipline. The main reason why ACCA affiliates are not accepted into LUMS's MBA is that ACCA does not any project submition requirement(which is a very essential part of Bachelors degree). In Pakistan many universities enroll students with HEC recognised degrees. Hence an equivalent certificate of Oxford Brooke's Bsc in applied accounting will be acceptable in LUMS. In IBA their website says they do accept students of professional qualifications(i am not sure about ACCA though). There are some universities which offer MBA/MSc to ACCA students and affiliates

- shani420 - 02-19-2010

Dear jaybeee,
all ACCA students who have passed first 9 ACCA papers can get a 4 years BBA degree from Uni of central Punjab after submitting a thesis.And LUMS accept this BBA degree for their MBA admissions.Hence by this route ACCA's can get into any HEC recognized univ.This route is also available for CA,ACMA(pk),CIMA,PIPFA etc.
As far as Bsc from Oxford brokes
is , it is a 3 years degree and LUMS demand a 4 years degree for its MBA so it is not accepted.
BTW above questions were raised in 2003 , u replied really promptly!!!
Good to see a LUMS student on-board , hope u will contribute in future.

- sameer_mobin - 02-19-2010

WOW I CAN'T BELIEVE MY LUCK! I AM COMING TO THE END OF ACCA INSHALLAH AND I AM NOWADAYS I M SEEING EVERY TOPIC IS OF MY INTEREST SINCE THEY CONCERN THE AVAILABLE OPTIONS TO PURSUE AFTER ACCA.

ANYWAY, @ DARD,SHANI420 AND ALL FORUM MEMBERS-

DARD YOU ARE RIGHT THAT OBU IS RECOGNIZED BY HEC.I JUST CHEKED IT LAST WEEK.

SHANI YOU ARE RIGHT TOO ABOUT THE 3 YEAR DURATION OF OBU.BUT MY FRIEND,DOESNT THAT MEAN THAT WE CAN APPLY IN MBA BUT FOR US CREDIT HOURS OR SOMETHING WILL BE MORE THAN OTHER STUDENTS COMING FROM DIFFERENT QUALIFICATION BACKGROUNDS?BECAUSE I TALKED TO MY TEACHER ABOUT THIS AND I GOT THIS REPLY WHICH I AM TALKING TO YOU ABOUT.

I THINK THE SIMPLE THING WOULD BE TO CALL TO LUMS AND IBA ONE BY ONE AND EXPLAIN THEM THE CASE AND INQUIRE THEIR VIEW ON THE ISSUE.WHICH I KNOW MANY STUDENTS (MAYBE SHANI420) MAY HAVE DONE THIS ALREADY [)], BUT MANY DON'T SHARE.2 MONTHS BACK I ASKED THE SAME QUESTION AS OMAR DID AND NO FORUM MEMBER REPLIED.

GODSPEED EVERYONE!

- shani420 - 02-19-2010

Dear sameer_mobeen,
I mailed LUMS about Bsc(OBU) for checking its acceptance for MBA admissions.They replied that they only accept 4 years credentials(2years bachelor +2 year master is also accepted).They said if you hold a foreign 3 year degree , you must produce an HEC certificate that it is equal to Pakistani 4 years.But HEC also recognize it as a 3 years degree and not a four years.But u produce a certificate from HEC, than u would be accepted.LUMS doesn't require specific credit hours rather a 4 years degree.I have posted this before also on this forum.I can forward u the email reply.But better confirm it urself.
I don't know Bsc(OBU)'s status with IBA.
Regards.

- Ajnabi - 02-19-2010

It will be even a big achievement for an ACCA's student to be appointed as a <b>watchman</b> at LUMS or IBA.[8D]
To be awarded admission is nothing except a "dream".

Furthermore, University of central punjab is nothing except a "degree distribution corner" to some illiterates, besides some professionals.

- Dard - 02-19-2010

What a lame and biased comment, so-called "professionals", rofl

- Ajnabi - 02-19-2010

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, san" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Dard</i>
<br />What a lame and biased comment, so-called "professionals", rofl
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Nanhay Bachay,[8D] yad rakho, Haqeeqat hameesha Karwi hoti hai, meri nahi apni fiqr karoo. Professional k Chuchay.[8D]

- padphoosilimdakar - 02-19-2010

Kuch din pehlay lums main watchman ki post khali hoi.Pori dunya say acca aur dosray professionals nay apply kia.Test kafi mushkil tha.Practical aur bhi mushkil.Afsos tamam acca walon ko mayos lotna para.Sisf Ajnabi ki kismat jagi.Aajkal woh lums k gate peh baray fakhar say sena tanay kharay hotay hain.Aksar mochon k tao bhi detay hain.Un say bat zara faslay say kerna.Khusay main kat bhi latay hain.

- rabia-k - 02-19-2010

this university's business school is not even ranked in the worlds top 100 business schools.
let alone the business school, the university is itself not even ranked in top 500 universities world wide.

Omar if you can afford it, then try any university in UK, my friend is an OBU grad and was being accepted by most UK universities on the basis of his OBU degree.

- rabia-k - 02-19-2010

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, san" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by padphoosilimdakar</i>
<br />Kuch din pehlay lums main watchman ki post khali hoi.Pori dunya say acca aur dosray professionals nay apply kia.Test kafi mushkil tha.Practical aur bhi mushkil.Afsos tamam acca walon ko mayos lotna para.Sisf Ajnabi ki kismat jagi.Aajkal woh lums k gate peh baray fakhar say sena tanay kharay hotay hain.Aksar mochon k tao bhi detay hain.Un say bat zara faslay say kerna.Khusay main kat bhi latay hain.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

[D][D] ROFL! yeh ajnabi ki posts par ke yahi lagta hai ke iska uthna bethna watchmen mein hi hota hai[D][p]