Accountancy Forum
Some questions on actuarial sciences - Printable Version

+- Accountancy Forum (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum)
+-- Forum: The Profession (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Career (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Some questions on actuarial sciences (/showthread.php?tid=376)

Some questions on actuarial sciences - arifa - 10-30-2003

Hey you ppl,
I am a student of second year pre engineering..and I am really really glad that at last I can get some guidance abt the actuarial sciences..First of all I want to ask you if the firms in Pakistan allow female actuarians to work. Secondly I wanna know how do we study for the exams and how do we give the exams...cuz theres no institute from where we can study...and state life offers only the training program...so where do we get to know the courses and study? Thirdly will you please send me the handbook on my account? I shall be really thankful to you.. Thanks a lot.

A.Nusrat

- sumaaan - 11-01-2003

I hope you've gone through the old Actuarial Sciences thread which was on the forum... The information on that thread is still not 'old' and explains the study of Actuarial Sciences in brief depth...

For the Actuarial Sciences handbook, please make a request on sumaaan@accountancy.com.pk ... However, a new edition of the handbook will be available in a few weeks time, and will be made available on the forum... If you still wish to get the current edition, request a copy at the above mentioned email address and make sure you have at least 714 KB of free space in your mail inbox...

Regarding the study of Actuary, yes you have to study by yourself and go through all the topics by your own self... Regarding the on-job training, its not compulsory to do it, but in the end it helps you as you might require it to get good jobs and also for further fellowships and all... The most popular Actuarial Sciences student training company/firm is Statelife currently... Nonetheless, there are other trainees in firms like Forde Rhodes Siddat Haider as mentioned by Guybrush, and various other insurance companies as well (Adamjee Insurance)...

If you're planning to do Actuarial Sciences, make sure your family doesnt have any financial liabilities or might not be requiring financial assistance from you for the next 6-8 years minimum or so... Also bear in mind, contrary to what a lot of people have 'highlighted', Mathematics is not the ONLY thing you have to be good at while doing Actuarial Sciences, you also have to study economics and accountancy a great deal.

- smraza - 11-01-2003

hey sumaaan,
I once posted a topic regarding the book on "PUC" (Projected Unit Credit) method, can u help me in this regard???? as i want to compute PVODB of my company's staff.

S M R

- sumaaan - 11-02-2003

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
hey sumaaan,
I once posted a topic regarding the book on "PUC" (Projected Unit Credit) method, can u help me in this regard???? as i want to compute PVODB of my company's staff.

S M R
<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

You mean, you need a book on PUC? or want to know where it is available?

- smraza - 11-02-2003

Yes, I m in need of the book on PUC, and of course i'd also like to know the place where i can get that book,
Regards.

S M R

- sumaaan - 11-02-2003

If you're in Karachi, then you must try Al Jamia Book House... 62 Noman Center, Block F-5, Gulshan-e-Iqbal. 4960904, 03332249877

Its on the back side of the NIPA Mr.Burger outlet(near Gulshan KFC).

I'm not 100% sure that you might find it there, but the shop has almost all the study material relating ACCA, CIMA, CA, ICMA, PIPFA, CISA, LLB, MBA, BBA, etc etc.

Don't worry, I'm not marketing the shop here, its not mine ) just that I found the shop full of variety.

- smraza - 11-02-2003

Thanx sumaaan, i m gonna check that out overthere, I will be more thankful to you if i find my required book,
of course you are not marketing the shop, you are just helping out a person who is need of a book )

S M R

- arifa - 11-03-2003

Hi there sumaan,
THANKS a lot for the reply..well i have got one issue of the students handbook...but thats the 2002-2003 version..so when the new one is available to tell me....another thing i wanted to ask u is dat..fine we have to study on our own..but how do we take the admission and give the papers for the uk university or the us university.. do please reply soon..take care

A.Nusrat

- sumaaan - 11-03-2003

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
Hi there sumaan,
THANKS a lot for the reply..well i have got one issue of the students handbook...but thats the 2002-2003 version..so when the new one is available to tell me....another thing i wanted to ask u is dat..fine we have to study on our own..but how do we take the admission and give the papers for the uk university or the us university.. do please reply soon..take care

A.Nusrat
<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

According to what I've been told, the new edition should be available in the first week of december, but it will not be an official copy... The official copy will obviously be available after 2004 has started...

And about your registration, for example if you're deciding to study through the Society of Actuaries (USA), you can go to their website, www.soa.org, download their registration form, fill it up and send it to the address mentioned.

- alphawerewolf - 12-08-2006

Deare sumaaan,
You have said that If you're planning to do Actuarial Sciences, make sure your family doesnt have any financial liabilities or might not be requiring financial assistance from you for the next 6-8 years minimum or so..." But I have learned that even an actuary who is not fully qualified can find an "acceptable" job and continue to complete his fellowship.