Accountancy Forum
ACCA from UK/Pakistan? - Printable Version

+- Accountancy Forum (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum)
+-- Forum: The Profession (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Students (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: ACCA from UK/Pakistan? (/showthread.php?tid=4025)

ACCA from UK/Pakistan? - nadiaa - 12-16-2006

<font face="Arial"><font face="Arial">Hi..I am a student of CAT(have recently taken my final three papers and expecting the result of 19th February) Currently,Im studying in SKANS,Pakistan.However,i am thinking of moving to UK for ACCA studies.And therefore, im planning to take admission in FTC, London. But Friends,i really need your assistance in this regard.Please guide me if i am following the correct way.It would be very nice,if anyone could identify the benefits of studying ACCA from UK in comparison with Pakistan.[i.e. standard of ACCA teaching in UK,benefits of passing ACCA from UK, value of work experience gained in UK etc.--in comparison with resources available in Pakistan] I will be really looking forward to your quick response(because im really out of time,my ACCA classes in UK are supposed to start on 19th Feb. and i havent even applied for admission yet, havent applied for the VISA yet, have just applied for the IELTS test).

Best Regards,
Nadia</font id="Arial"></font id="Arial">

- accountingunlimited - 12-16-2006

Dear Nadia
First of all best of luck for your exams. As far as studying in London and specially FTC is concern, the main benefit is that that you can qualify much earlier as compare to Pakistan.Secondly if you are choosing British Variant instead of International, then you can opt to get Chartered Accountancy from Institute of Chartered Accountants of England and Wales by appearing in just 2 papers (however you have to undergo a training contract for 4 years and you will be eligible to appear in those 2 papers in last year of your training contract) I must tell you that it is almost impossible to get a training contract because of rules and regulations.
On the other hand you can study for CFA which is a very significant qualification and is not offered in Pakistan as it is offered in England specially in FTC.
As far as classess are concerned, dont take the dates so seriously, they vary.
You will be having great difficulties in convincing British High Commission that you want to study ACCA from U.K. Beacause according to law and immigration rules only those students are allowed for visa who dont have the qualification available in their home country and ACCA is available in Pakistan.
If you have any particular qurey, write me on balilay2k@hotmail.com
thanks

- nadiaa - 12-16-2006

Thanks for the reply and the wishes..hmm your post suggests that i dont have a good chance on getting a Student Visa on ACCA basis? However id like to know that if a acquire a good band in IELTS test(Band 7 lets say) does it play a role in my chances?<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Tahoma, Arial" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by accountingunlimited</i>
<br />Dear Nadia
First of all best of luck for your exams. As far as studying in London and specially FTC is concern, the main benefit is that that you can qualify much earlier as compare to Pakistan.Secondly if you are choosing British Variant instead of International, then you can opt to get Chartered Accountancy from Institute of Chartered Accountants of England and Wales by appearing in just 2 papers (however you have to undergo a training contract for 4 years and you will be eligible to appear in those 2 papers in last year of your training contract) I must tell you that it is almost impossible to get a training contract because of rules and regulations.
On the other hand you can study for CFA which is a very significant qualification and is not offered in Pakistan as it is offered in England specially in FTC.
As far as classess are concerned, dont take the dates so seriously, they vary.
You will be having great difficulties in convincing British High Commission that you want to study ACCA from U.K. Beacause according to law and immigration rules only those students are allowed for visa who dont have the qualification available in their home country and ACCA is available in Pakistan.
If you have any particular qurey, write me on balilay2k@hotmail.com
thanks
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

- accountingunlimited - 12-16-2006

Well for your kind information i have gone through all these procedures by myself and I am not talking about someone else's experience and guess what? I am one of few people in Pakistan who have scored 8 bands in IELTS.
thanks.

- khurram sheikh - 12-18-2006

Dear Nadia,

I must say that you have taken an excellent reason. and I would like to wish you the best of luck for your exams.

I have myself been a CAT student in SKANS Lahore and have been studying in FTC for the last 1 1/2.I must say that there is a hell of a difference between SKANS and FTC.The standard of teaching at SKANS is no where near the standard maintained at FTC.ACCA classes are taken in a very organized and professional manner.In SKANS(and not just in SKANS,in almost all ACCA institutes in Pakistan),they explain you the topic by just solving a sample question and thats it.Theoratrical portion is giving the minimum preference,althought we have to realize that at this professional level and in so much competition,one needs to be technically equipped to deal with all problems.So teaching standard is definitely one of the major benefits in taking ACCA classes in UK in comparison with Pakistan.

Accountingunlimited,certainly made a good point,that one can complete ACCA from UK in a much quicker time in comparison with Pakistan.

Secondly,you'll enjoy many good accounting job opportunities,while living in UK in comparison with Pakistan.Its been a while since i left Pakistan,but still i've heard that the monopoly of ACA's is still the same and employers still prefer CA Inters in comparison with full ACCA affiliates(which has a long story which i dont wanna go into).However in UK,you will be exposed to many good opportunities.If you do well,you will have a good chance to get into Big4(which is not easily possible for an ACCA student seeking practical experience while living in Pakistan)

I am myself working in a Big4 and I can very well understand the value of Big 4 experience today.Now not only I am being paid well, but also the level of training which I have received has undoubtedly polished me.

So overall,you are going on the PERFECT WAY.

Okay now comes the VISA issue.I read accountingunlimited's post, and dear i really feel sorry that after scoring so well in IELTS, you couldnt make it to UK(thats what i've assumed)Today I confess that I only scored a 5 band in IELTS and still got through.You're right accountingunlimited that ACCA studies are already available in Pakistan.I think the element of bad luck came into play.But dear, you must give another try.Talented people like you definitely deserve to come here(not dummies like me ) ).

But Alhamdullilah in my case everything worked ALMOST PERFECT. I scored a 5.0 in IELTS and I applied after completing my CAT and yet I got the Visa pretty easily. And not only me, we were 4 friends who applied together on the basis of ACCA studies and we all got the VISAS.Unfortunately,I had the lowest band in all of them 5 ( By the way,we all had applied admissions at FTC also.

So Nadia,i wish you all the luck for your admission and visa process.Try to do well in your IELTS and remain confident,Inshallah you'll be successfull.I personally see very good chances of yours in getting the VISA.If you have any further questions regarding studies in UK,please feel free to ask me.

GOOD LUCK )