Accountancy Forum
SETTING UP OF A SUGAR MILLS - Printable Version

+- Accountancy Forum (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum)
+-- Forum: The Profession (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Accounting and Audit (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: SETTING UP OF A SUGAR MILLS (/showthread.php?tid=4513)

SETTING UP OF A SUGAR MILLS - kamranACA - 05-21-2007

Dears,

Setting up of a sugar mills requires to obtain an NOC from the provincial governement (industries department). No sugar mills can be established in various areas prohibited by the provincial governments. This is specifically done to create a balance in supply and demand ratio and also to preserve other crops in specific areas like cotton areas.

During 2003, the punjab government (Pakistan) banned the new sugar mills. Contrary to such ban, one can see so many new sugar mills established in punjab. Almost 9 NOCs have been given.

Does any body know how to apply for such NOC, wherefrom such application form could be downloaded, and to whom such application is filed and what fees are payable.

I am trying my best to open the punjab.gov.pk but it is not getting opened.

I would appreciate any help.

Best regards,

Kamran.

- kamranACA - 05-23-2007

Dears,

I know it was a bit administrative and legal question and was not related to accounts and audit. However, we have to work out all such affairs for our clients.

I have finally found out the answers of my questions through various sources.

Best regards,

Kamran.

- msc286 - 05-24-2007

Kamran Sahib,

I also tried to get some information and am still waiting. Would be grateful if you could post your findings on the forum for the benefit of the members.

Regards,

- kamranACA - 05-24-2007

Dear Mr. Mahmood Chaudhry,

There was a ban on setting up a sugar mills in Punjab up to 14 July 2005. However, the Punjab Government issued a notification dated 15 July 2005 amending clause 3 of the Notification (alreday issued) No. AEA-III-3-9/91 dated 17 September 2002.

As per this amendment, the establishment of new sugar mills up to capacity of 16,000 (M.Tons) TCD (Total Crushing per Day) is allowed in the province. (Punjab)

Above this capacity is not allowed either for establishing new mills or enhancing the existing capacity by already set up sugar mills.

Application for NOC is to be made to District Officer, Investment and Enterprise, Government of the Punjab, of the district in which the land has been acquired for the proposed sugar mills.

Application could be submitted on the letterhead pad of the company applying for such NOC. However, mentioning of land and area where sugar mills is proposed to be set-up is a must for such application.

On receiving permission/NOC against the application, sugar mills can be established by the applicants.

If you need further info, plz let me know.

Best regards,

KAMRAN.

- Goodman - 05-25-2007

Do we still have sugar commissioners for every area. Last I have known Pakistan was the only country in the world who have sugar commissioners (to protect the int. of mill owners who happpened to be politicans)

- kamranACA - 05-26-2007

Yes we have.