Accountancy Forum
MBA-->CA?/CFA? - Printable Version

+- Accountancy Forum (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum)
+-- Forum: The Profession (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Students (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: MBA-->CA?/CFA? (/showthread.php?tid=4680)

MBA-->CA?/CFA? - saifankhan - 08-09-2007

Salam to all,

Im a MBA(finance) from CBM (karachi), i want to continue with my education as i think that holding simply a MBA degree would not let me achieve all my objectives in life.

So i have decided to acuire a professional qualificatoin along with my MBA, which would be either CA (ICAP) or CFA. i have all the information regarding the structure of both of these qualifications and all other related issues including their syllabus, application/scope, exemptions, duration & etc.

what all i want from you all are your valuable opinions on both the options stated below, interms of which one would be more suitable for me...and if you were at my place which one of the following two ways you would have desired your name to be written as and why?

<b>
1) Your Name, MBA,CA.
2) Your Name, MBA,CFA.</b>

<i>i hope you all would provide your inputs and help me making a good decision.</i>

- Muhammad Amir - 08-09-2007

Dear Saif Khan Sahib...

You said that you are already an MBA(Finance) and now you are planning to further enhance your career and you gave us 2 possibilities either CA or CFA(both of them are nearly 180 degree different from each other)......Since you are an MBA(Finance) I think CA is not worthwhile for you because it will consume your lot of time and ofcourse CFA is much much prestigeous certification than CA...CFA is basically a Financial Analyst Qualification and it will help you to pursue your career further in finance(Investment Appraisal,Risk Management,Working Capital Management,Business Valuations etc etc..)....CFA is much much better option that CA....However CA has its own prestige and one can't deprive it from CA but i think in the situation which you have mentioned CFA will be more suitable for you...

If you ask my decision I will say 100/100 times CFA....

- saifankhan - 08-09-2007

Thanks for your replies mfahr & amir..well im myself more interested in CFA as compared to CA...as what i have done throughout my BBA/MBA has quite resemblance to the CFA curriculum....i opted for the following courses in my specialization
1) Analysis of Financial Statements
2) Portfolio Management
3) Risk Management
4) Corporate Finance
5) Treasury & Fund Management
6) Investment ANalysis
7) Investment Banking & Security Analysis
8) Project Appraisal

Despite all this...i have some concerns with CFA followig are those

1) Narrow scope(as compared to CA) its scope is only limited to the financial sector

2) No Practical Application Many of the Concepts learned in CFA have no application in Pakistan...i dont expect things like wheather derivatives being used in Pakistan...so is it right to learn things that have no application?

3) The working Conditions people working in investment management/anlysis are offered many financial & nonfinancial perks but they are required to work more then 12hrs..on daily basis. i know few whose families are annoyed by their jobs.

4) CFA is gradually turning into an awami qualification...i dont know any one in my batch of MBA who is not sitting for the CFA exams..im afraid that the supply not surpasses the demand...that has happened with us MBAs.

these concerns have...put me in thoughts and now im considering CA as an option...what i have been informed is that i would have to do 4yrs atricleship for a CA...in between of which i wud have to give exams...of C,D,E,F...4yrs is not an issue for me..my family is supporting me...they have just given me a timeframe in which i have to marry..so 4yrs is something that i can afford.

Now your opinions...

- saifankhan - 08-09-2007

Mfahr regarding your queries...

The MArket of a CBM MBA...is on an avg 25k-30k....
one can get job easily after an MBA...but it really depends on the nature of job...one of my freind is working in the operations department of UBL..where as one freind has been selected for the management traniee program at UBL....both are getting some what similar salaries...but...The one in MT...within 5-6yrs would be enjoying a senior management position...on the other hand, the one in operations would be sitting there on the same desk..in operations

So you can easil earn 25-30k after an MBA from CBM....but what really matters is the kind of job it is...

For us MBA (fin) now it is a must to pass CFA L1 or any other professional exam to be considered for the treasury/ or the corporate banking departments in a Bank....otherwise...it would be the same operations or credit department.

Regarding other universities...im not too sure...i have heard that CBM has the strongest placement department...there are many universities who dont even have a placement department...the KU affilated colleges are on the top of the list..others in the list include preston, dadabhouy, paf-keit, biztek..& etc.

i hope your query is anwered...will be looking forward to tell you any thing more you want to know about MBA.

wassalam,
szk

- shsaeed - 08-09-2007

You Take Very Good Decision I Will Appreciate You.
I Also Pray Allah That You Become An ACA Without Any
Encumbrance.

I Am Also A B.Com Student And Awaiting My Result After Which
Inshallah I Can Start CA.

Same Like You Everyone Can Guide Me To Not Start CA. But Its
My Passion And I Hope And Rely Upon Allah That I Will Do It.

Thanks

- Muhammad Amir - 08-13-2007

Why don't you think about CIMA or ACCA...CIMA and ACCA are much more relevant to you specially CIMA and not only relevance but the weightage of Exemptions you will find with flexible working experience requirements…

In CA you need to start from Module ‘C’ which in opinion is wastage of time for already an MBA…

- khan_sade - 08-13-2007

There is no doubt that CFA is a much better option for you. I would have gone for that straight away only if i had the financial resources but now i'll obtain IBP diploma first, land myself a reasonable job and go for CFA then. Insha Allah ( ah! how easy these plans seems when talking, Doing is something very different altogether)