Accountancy Forum
Confused, which qualification do go for - Printable Version

+- Accountancy Forum (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum)
+-- Forum: The Profession (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Students (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Confused, which qualification do go for (/showthread.php?tid=4794)

Confused, which qualification do go for - cccp9211 - 10-01-2007

Hi I am 19 yrs old and have just completed my A levels with excellent grades and I got admission in every university local and abroad including lums and Iba in pak, but despite all of this I still find myself nowhere I have not started uni as yet as my plans keep on changing due to my parents. I was seriously thinking of doing actuarial sciences because of my excellent ability in maths and that is waht I applied for abroad. But noone in my family approves of it as they donot know about it. As things stand I can now attend no uni in pakistan or abroad for this year as the deadlines for fees foe every uni I know of has passed. So now I am thinking of doing something else.

- cccp9211 - 10-01-2007

Not the choices I have are CA, ACCA , or any of such qualifications or maybe even actuarial sciences if I can stand my families resistance. I would really appreciate your help if you guys could guide as to where to go either the accounting qualifications or would it be better to waste a year reapply for Bsc in lums or iba. or is actuarial sciences worth doing privately through a firm.
Please keep in mind the monetary aspects of all of these qualifications although one should not go after money but it is important afterall this is what we study our asses off for, and also keep in mind the respect of one profession. I am surrounded by high achievers in my family filled with doctors engineer etc so I have to kind of live upto there expectations.
Please help me out of this I see no future for myself fate has just brought in such a miserable state that i am starting to lose hope trhat I would even study any firther from now on please all those experienced ppl out there and those who have already gone through this help me out. I am sure there will be alot of khalke khuda out there who extend their support for a muslim brother in this holy month of ramzan.

Thanking in advance

- cccp9211 - 10-02-2007

Thanxx for the help. As far as I am concerned I think I am good at whatever I work hard for so that is not a PROBLEM FOR ME I would adjust in any field so as to say. But waht are the pros and cons of the qualifications I asked for like the time required to graduate etc.

- oalevel - 10-02-2007

Assalam o Alaikum

Dear cccp9211,

<font color="red">Quote
"The matter is about 'What you are suitable for', not 'What is the high payer'. When you understand the difference between them, you will surely opt for the field which, you think, you're suitable for(mfahr)"</font id="red">

I would like to include that many students of your age think they'll achieve whatever they want with same hard work and devotion as they are progressing at the moment. But in actual scenario is different, CA, ACCA, BBA... all requires much more hard work than simply an A-Levels. I don't mean that A-Levels is a piece of cake, it requires hard work which you must have done thats why u've achieved good grades. But as for professional qualifications, you need complete.........devotion.

So, before adopting any field, concern mfahr's advice

- cccp9211 - 10-05-2007

Thanks for your help. But one thing that I m still lookign for is the job prospects. Just to put things more into prospective, It is believed that an MBA from a good institute is better then a CA on any ground. Because of the job conditions and the ind of training an MBA recieves. and also becuase the farthest a CA could go is CPO whereas MBA has alot of chances to progress and the end is CEO. SO that also says that a CA could not progress as much no matter how much he works hard. If these questions seem amturish then just answer one thing can someone do a MBA after completing CA. MBA mphil phd watever but my question is can a CA study any further then what he has already achieved. And is someone awarded any kind of degree after completing CA like in ACCA u get a bsc degree.

- Nauman - 10-05-2007

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Tahoma, Arial" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by cccp9211</i>
<br />Thanks for your help. But one thing that I m still lookign for is the job prospects. Just to put things more into prospective, It is believed that an MBA from a good institute is better then a CA on any ground. Because of the job conditions and the ind of training an MBA recieves. and also becuase the farthest a CA could go is CPO whereas MBA has alot of chances to progress and the end is CEO. SO that also says that a CA could not progress as much no matter how much he works hard. If these questions seem amturish then just answer one thing can someone do a MBA after completing CA. MBA mphil phd watever but my question is can a CA study any further then what he has already achieved. And is someone awarded any kind of degree after completing CA like in ACCA u get a bsc degree.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
There are CEO's who are chartered accountants, CAs today are market leaders but thats not the issue here its the work experience too. I have seen CAs landing up position as CFO after 5 or 6 years of qualification on contrary an MBA would atleast require a minimum of 15 years of practical experience to even be considered for a top level executive spot.