Accountancy Forum
NATIONAL MONEY SEFL AWARDING - Printable Version

+- Accountancy Forum (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum)
+-- Forum: General (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: NATIONAL MONEY SEFL AWARDING (/showthread.php?tid=4878)

NATIONAL MONEY SEFL AWARDING - javed - 11-17-2007

Chief Justice of Pakistan His Lordship Mr. Justice Iftikhar Mohammad Choudhary who showed his real heart towards the unfortunate common man of this country, as I read last month in a foreign newspaper, took suo moto notice that approximately a sum of Rs. 5 crore was taken as award by the President National Bank of Pakistan. The Bank’s Defence Counsel however as per newspaper submitted that only Rs. 2 crore were “given” (awarding self or self taken!!!!) by the President of the Bank as award for the good work done by him and rest was given to other similar “good doers”. All the banks in Pakistan in fact are doing “good” and that is why in the words of well known economist Dr. Shahid Hassan since in Pakistan banks have a total free hand hence a lot is coming in banking industry. He said in 5 years a foreign bank remits out what it brought and the bank still remains in its hand. No body can convince me at all that today’s extra fatness of our banks is due to any “good work” or innovative productivity but only due to new surcharges, deductions, no interest to small domestic savers, fine print or undisclosed terms income etc.

I am unable to understand that as a matter of principle the protector of account holder’s rights the Banking Mohtasib should had taken suo moto note of this pocketing the money but he did not. I do remember when banks were under Federal Ombudsman he took a serious suo moto note on writing off loans. Though the SBP resisted nevertheless the Federal Ombudsman did proceed to some extent.

Reading the above news item as an account holder of NBP I addressed Chief Justice of Pakistan His Lordship Mr. Justice Iftikhar Mohammad Choudhary that his suo moto notice appeared to me as of my own voice. That day how much pride in myself I felt needs a new pen to describe. I requested him that my comments may also be included in his suo motor notice. I quoted him a few things including that how brave and bold our bureaucracy was today that it can even write down day light lies on the official government letter head. I quoted him an example how an original letter wrongly mailed to me violating the international postal rules was in my hand while a senor executive of this efficiency awarding giving bank had the courage fooling me on Bank letter head that the courier had returned back to the bank the original letter undelivered (courier fee refunded!!).

Now that due to temporary suspension of the Constitution, Mr. Justice Iftikhar Mohammad Choudhary has gone I am confused if the above case automatically sands closed or legally still stands to be processed and a decision taken under SC policy of public interest issues. Awarding of such awards is pro rata from my deposits and after all affects my profitability which in fact shamelessly already is almost half percent perhaps. Will any reader competent on such issues guide me if I need to readdress SC enclosing copy of my previous communication or it would automatically come on processing line.