Accountancy Forum
is ACCA equalent to a BACHELORS? - Printable Version

+- Accountancy Forum (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum)
+-- Forum: The Profession (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Students (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: is ACCA equalent to a BACHELORS? (/showthread.php?tid=4947)

is ACCA equalent to a BACHELORS? - saifankhan - 01-22-2008

I have heard that after 2 levels of ACCA you can claim a B.S degree from U.K, is this right? and is the degree recognized by H.E.C for admission to a MBA program or in CFA?

I would appreciate if the answer is provided with a proof or justification

Waiting for a prompt response....

thanx

- Astute Accountant - 01-23-2008

Yup! a degree in applied accounting from Oxford Brooks Uni UK (I think).

Wait for Amir, He may confirm it with proof etc.

- saifankhan - 01-24-2008

any more replies???
hey cum on!!!

- Astute Accountant - 01-26-2008

Students must be registered with Oxford Brookes University in order to be eligible for the Oxford Brookes University degree of BSc (Honours) in Applied Accounting.

Registration takes place automatically for those students who have indicated to ACCA that they wish to be opted into the degree scheme.

Students not indicating on their initial registration form that they wish to be part of the scheme can opt in any time prior to attempting 2.4 + or 2.5 + or 2.6. Eligible students can write to the Oxford Brookes University BSc Administration requesting to be opted in or can enter their details via the E-business facility.

An ACCA CAT student who has passed the CAT Advanced Level examination papers meets all the entry requirements for the BSc degree scheme.

And yes, the degree is recognized by the HEC.

Cheers!

- Muhammad Amir - 01-28-2008

Here is the proof

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Tahoma, Arial" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><b>11
B.Sc. (Hons.) in Applied Accounting of Oxford Brookes University (OBU), UK through the ACCA UK-Pakistan Chapter

Mr. Arif Masud Mirza,

Chief Executive Officer,

ACCA Pakistan, 61 C, Main Gulberg, Lahore

Tel (042) 111 22 22 75

Fax (042) 5759346

The HEC has approved the launching and recognition of B.Sc. (Hons.) in Applied Accounting of Oxford Brookes University (OBU), UK through the ACCA UK-Pakistan Chapter with effect from October 13, 2004, with following conditionalites

1. Candidates desirous of B.Sc. (Hons) in Accounting from Oxford Brookes University will be required to possess intermediate/A-level for registration with ACCA and Oxford Brookes University.

2. The examinations to be conducted by the ACCA Pakistan on behalf of ACCA, UK and Quality Assurance Agency will be monitored by the British Council.

3. For operation in the jurisdiction of provinces, the permission from concerned Provincial Education Department/s is pre-requisite

4. Equivalence/recognition to the degrees will be issued on individual merit on submission of relevant details on prescribed proforma (E-01) and copies of documents like i) matriculation/’O’ level and intermediate/’A’ level certificates; ii). Registration letter for B.Sc.(Hons) with OBU, UK; iii). UCRS Institute joining certificate; iv). UCRS institute leaving certificate; and v). student enrollment/record verification letters etc.

</b><hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

alternatively follow link given below

http//www.hec.gov.pk/new/QualityAssurance/Quality%5FAssurance/University%5FAccreditation/Foreign_Collaboration/Foreign%20Universities%20Institutions.htm

Regards,

Muhammad Amir

- cccp9211 - 01-30-2008

That means thaat this degree will automatically be accepted by institues such as Lums, LSE, and IBA or would these institutions have different rules. Does anyone here know anyone who has a Bsc degree through this route and is doing MBA at any of the above institutes.

- kamranACA - 01-30-2008

Dears,

I don't know the current situation but previously ACCA students had to submit some assignment for getting this degree.

There were certain parameters for such assignment regarding its quality, length and checking from mentor etc.

I knew this because once I prepared (helped some one in preparation of) such assignment for some ACCA student who finally got the degree on the basis of such assignment.

Regards,

Kamran.

- Muhammad Amir - 02-01-2008

Yes one has to submit 6500 words Research and Analysis Project to Oxford Brookes University on any of the topics given below.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Tahoma, Arial" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><b>1 An analysis of the efficiency and/or effectiveness of a management accounting technique in an organisational setting.

2 An analysis of how the application of technology can contribute to an organisation’s efficiency and/or effectiveness.

3 An examination of the impact of an aspect of existing or impending legislation on an organisation.

4 An analysis of the impact of e-business on an industry or organisation of your choice.

5 The identification of the effects of globalisation on an industry of your choice.

6 The identification of key factors or indicators in the motivation of employees in an organisation of your choice.

7 An analysis of the tax and profit implications of different company entities, changes in status or acquisitions or disposals of
company assets.

8 An analysis of the financial situation of your choice of organisation.

9 An examination of how to plan, develop and implement an appropriate information system in an organisation.

10 An analysis of how management accounting techniques are used to support decision-making in organisations.

11 An analysis of the costs and benefits of the internal audit/internal review activities within an organisation of your choice.

12 An analysis of the effect of any International Accounting standard on the accounts of any organisation in terms of profitability or financial stability or balance sheet value.

13 An analysis of future personnel requirements under conditions of change (including employee development).

14 An investigation of recent investment decisions by an organisation of your choice and how the use of different methods of risk and uncertainty analysis might affect such decisions.

15 An analysis of the role of working capital on the profitability and /or efficiency of an organisation of your choice.

16 An analysis of the effect of different sources of capital on investment decisions within an organisation of your choice.

17 An analysis of the effect of corporate governance on an organisation of your choice.

18 An examination of how to plan, develop and implement an appropriate PRP system in an organisation.

19 An analysis of the business and financial reasons and effects of creating a multinational merger company.

20 An analysis of the effects of IT failure and contingency plans within an organisation of your choice.

21 An analysis of the impact of the Euro on an organisation or industry of your choice.

22 Analyse the marketing strategy of an organisation of your choice, identifying the key success factors or indicators in the marketing mix and the activities of the organisation.</b><hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

After evaluation of RAP the Oxford Brookes University will award students a pass or fail in RAP if OBU awards pass to a student then he will be awarded Grade/Division on the basis of his performance in ACCA part 2(or Fundamental Level)...

Currently I am planning to start my RAP on any of the two topics

<b>16 An analysis of the effect of different sources of capital on investment decisions within an organisation of your choice.</b>

<b>
14 An investigation of recent investment decisions by an organisation of your choice and how the use of different methods of risk and uncertainty analysis might affect such decisions.</b>

but don't know from where to start (

Regards,

Muhammad Amir

- kamranACA - 02-01-2008

Amir,

You must pursue some person working in capital market division or FIPs and market risks management division of some renowned commercial bank like MCB, ABL, UBL, ABN AMRO or NIB etc.

You will get lot to learn and interpret.

Regards,

Kamran.

- Muhammad Amir - 02-02-2008

Dear Kamran Bhai when i was studying F9 Financial Management i found this paper very interesting and i had decided to complete my RAP on any of the topics related to finance, my first priority will be 'Sources Of Finance' and i am willing to write something relating to this topic but for this, first i need to select my mentor which is not a big problem because i have good relations will almost all of my teachers and i hope they will not show reluctance to provide at least 3 meetings, but the problem is 'Organisation'.

I do not want to go for banks for reasons known to you, can you tell me any good organisation other than bank and the procedures to followed.

Regards,

Muhammad Amir

- kamranACA - 02-02-2008

Dear,

It's ur prerogative whatever you decide for urself but simply going to banks for acquistion of knowledge is not bad in concept (just my own view) as you are not going to do business or help doing business of the bank that is prohibited by Islam.

What you want to learn can ONLY be found in banks as pointed out by me. And even if you go to some other organization to find out means of financing or source of finance you will face the issues of Riba calculations and learning etc. Derivatives dealing division, FIPS and market risk management divison, capital market division of a commercial bank is good to learn if they like to train you.

Otherwise, if you restrict the scope, you can also go to a multinational / big company like Unilever or ICI or PSO or Shell etc. Annual reports of such big companies could be taken from KSE and even could be read at KSE's library. This will help you in deciding which company would be more helpful for your purposes.

Regards,

Kamran.

- Muhammad Amir - 02-03-2008

Thanks for your guidance

Regards,

Muhammad Amir

- saifankhan - 02-04-2008

thnk u for such a comprehensive reply Amir..& others! it has cleared many disputes in my mind!