Accountancy Forum
Asset Management - Printable Version

+- Accountancy Forum (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum)
+-- Forum: The Profession (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Accounting and Audit (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: Asset Management (/showthread.php?tid=5049)

Asset Management - 4thelement - 04-04-2008

i have heard so many times ..... ltd is a largest asset management company

i want to know wats asset management

- kamranACA - 04-04-2008

Dear,

This is the reason for which I advocate that being in one country, one should prefer to know what is happening around in the specific environment. However, asset management comapnies are working worldwide and it is not a Pakistan specific topic.

Please study "Non-Banking Finance Companies and Notified Entities Regulations, 2007" to know what asset management companies are and what they do. Hopefully you can download these regulations from SECP's website.

In brief, asset management company (AMC) is a management company of mutual funds (open ended or closed ended funds). In most of cases closed ended funds are listed (although it is not compulsory) and open ended funds are unlisted (even these could be listed as well but would not be traded). Closed ended fund units are traded and cannot be redeemed while the open ended fund units are not traded and could be redeemed on some redemption costs.

AMCs launch various funds (like income funds, equity funds, pension funds, cash funds etc), appoints trustees, and manage the investment portfolios and operations of such funds to safegaurd the interests of the unit-holders of such funds and to provide them anticipated returns on their investment in units of funds launched by it.

Hopefully it will provide you an initial insight.

Regards,

KAMRAN.

- Astute Accountant - 04-04-2008

<b>Asset management</b> is a business process and a decision-making framework that covers an extended time horizon, draws from economics as well as engineering, and considers a broad range of assets. The asset management approach incorporates the economic assessment of trade-offs among alternative investment options and uses this information to help make cost-effective investment decisions.

Asset management has come of age because of

changes in the transportation environment,
changes in public expectations, and
extraordinary advances in technology.
Today's transportation environment is characterized by high user demand, stretched budgets, declining staff resources, and a transportation system that is showing the signs of age.

The public has made significant investments in the construction, maintenance, and operation of the Nation's highway system and expects that Federal, State, and local government agencies will be responsible stewards of those investments. Those agencies concur, and they recognize that the public will hold them accountable.

The advent of increasingly powerful computer systems has made the practice of asset management possible. These computer systems not only put sophisticated analytical tools at a highway staff's fingertips, but also allow agency officials to perform "what if" analyses that in turn facilitate discussions with other stakeholders.

Hope thats enough for now!!!

- kamranACA - 04-04-2008

Dear Astute,

Asset management process includes so much. However, 4thelement asked about Asset management companies particularly and in my view this question was focussed on Pakistani environment.

In Pakistan Asset Management Companies are doing and are supposed to do what I have endeavoured to explain.

Regards,

KAMRAN.

- 4thelement - 04-05-2008

thanx again both of u

- Astute Accountant - 04-06-2008

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Tahoma, Arial" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by 4thelement</i>
<br />i have heard so many times ..... ltd is a largest asset management company

<b>i want to know wats asset management</b>
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Dear Kamran Bhai what about this line???

P.S. No offence meant rather its just to clarify the reason of my commnet regarding asset management....

- Astute Accountant - 04-06-2008

An<b> Asset Management Company</b> is an investment management firm that invests the pooled funds of retail investors in securities in line with the stated investment objectives. For a fee, the investment company provides more diversification, liquidity, and professional management consulting service than is normally available to individual investors.

- kamranACA - 04-07-2008

Dear,

Your latest definition is in line with what was asked.

His question was started showing inquistiveness about .............ltd (Asset Management Company) and the next portion was, in my view, required to be seen in conjunction with the first part of his query.

Anyways. Thank you for putting in efforts.

Regards,

KAMRAN.