Accountancy Forum
Canadian Immigration and ACCA, CIMA, CFA or CMA - Printable Version

+- Accountancy Forum (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum)
+-- Forum: The Profession (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Students (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Canadian Immigration and ACCA, CIMA, CFA or CMA (/showthread.php?tid=5192)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

- waqas43 - 10-17-2009

Dear Toronto Boy

You are doing a g8 service to your countrymen. Hats off for you.

On a different note, need a little help here. I am a canadian permanent resident currently based in Saudi Arabia. I want to relocate to Canada soon, though this decision partially depends on improvement in job market in general there. My two queries are as follows

Background

I am an MBA (Quaid-e-Azam University, Islamabad) and have 10+ years of client relationship experience in corporate / commercial lending in Pakistan and Saudi Arabia. I also possess Diploma in Banking (SBP) and am a CFA Level III candidate to be held in June 2010.

Query 1 With my background, coupled with current job situation in canada, what are the chances to grab a job in financial sector in

A. Toronto
B. Vancouver (i know it is good weather at the cost of less job oppurtunities, though i would still request your opinion)

Query 2 Is it worth trying to try to find a job through internet before coming over. If yes, any suggestions regarding the most effective way of going about it. I mean headhunters' websites or official websites of the banks or any other way.

Query 3 Do you think i should move ahead after completing CFA towards CPA or is it enough. My family is supportive enough and i would love to add those three letters after my name for the heck of it but my friends make fun of me as noone is pursuing studies at the age of 34 now. On a serious note, your opinion is required from effort point of view. How tough is it?

Thanks & Regards

- Toronto_Boy - 10-20-2009

Dear ad2478

Historically speaking, ICAEW is used to require specific audit and tax experience. These days, as far as I know, it accepts general accounting experience also (though through ATOs, which can be any business firm with resources, and not only audit firms). ACCA accepts general accounting experience.

These days curriculum (body of knowledge) of almost all accounting associations is quite similar. However, there is some emphasis on typical areas and some difference in other requirements.

All 3 qualifications you mentioned are good. Pick anyone which suits you and start working toward that.

Please contact directly to relevant association for exemption policy.

Regards

Dear waqas43

Welcome to Canada.

You have required qualification and experience (though non-Canadian). It is quite difficult for me to predict about future and someone’s “qismat”. With all inherent difficulties/ risks, all I can say is, you are eligible, just check your luck here. Since day one, I have been living in Toronto, so can’t say anything about Vancouver. Vancouver is 2nd largest English speaking city, so you may try.

If you have SIN number and legally eligible to do a job here, then there is no harm in applying remotely. Headhunters may give you more response. Physical presence here is always better.

Well I think CFA should be enough to work anywhere, however CPA may be your personal choice. I don’t see any harm in pursuing CPA after CFA. If you love to have CPA, then go for it. Age does not matter, at least to me. With FSA in CFA levels, you would have some idea of accounting. But I personally think, Regulations, Auditing, and FAR would be much difficult for you, as you haven’t studied these in detail so far. In my personal opinion, if someone invests required efforts, nothing is difficult in the world. It is all the matter of required number of work hours which varies person to person.

Best Wishes

Dear ad2478

Usually, associations give special credit for relevant teaching experience toward experience requiremnt. I don't know CIMA's policy though. You may contact them.

Regards

- waqas43 - 10-21-2009

Thanks .... I have decided to come somewhere in Q1 2011. Lets save some bucks herein KSA and try to finish CFA ASAP. One thing i can't do is the blue collar job and i need the canadian passport. Therefore, the logical solution to me seems to come with handful of survival money. Thanks for your reply anyway.

- A R - 10-26-2009

Hello Toronto Boy,
Can you please guide whether is there any possibility for a person who has a refer in Module D of CA to transfer by any means to Canada for any other Qualification? I mean to say like working plus studying in Canada.

Is there any exemption or any route for any other Qualification which may be followed to get in Canada at this very moment. I am talking regarding a short term route.

Thanks toronto boy for all the information you provided on this forum.

Take Care! Hope to see a reply soon

- Toronto_Boy - 10-29-2009

Dear A R

Please see my reply in bold.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, san" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by A R</i>
<br />Hello Toronto Boy,
Can you please guide whether is there any possibility for a person who has a refer in Module D of CA to transfer by any means to Canada for any other Qualification? I mean to say like working plus studying in Canada.

<b>Reply It is very open question. There could be any related qualification. You would have to search. Generally, student visa holders can work part time while studying.</b>

Is there any exemption or any route for any other Qualification which may be followed to get in Canada at this very moment. I am talking regarding a short term route.

<b>Reply Unfortunately, nothing comes up in my mind this time.</b>

Thanks toronto boy for all the information you provided on this forum.

Take Care! Hope to see a reply soon
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Dear, career making is not an easy task. Short term routes may not provide long term lasting benefits. Very good qualifications/ degrees are available in Pakistan these days. Construct your career on basis of those. Doors would open automatically. Don't jump in haste.

I hope you would not mind.

Best Wishes

- badar waseem - 01-17-2010

Dear toronto_boy

can i get your email address please,i want some help
thanks

- Toronto_Boy - 01-17-2010

- badar waseem - 01-17-2010

Kindly add me on msn messenger badarwaseem@gmail.com

thanks

- overman - 01-24-2010

Dear all,

I would like to apply for the Canadian citizenship through a skilled worker qualification (1111.1 financial auditor). I am currently planning on taking the IMA CMA exam but recently became aware that CMA Canada does not recognize IMA CMA.

Does anyone have any suggestions and or experience with some potential issues I might be facing during my application process?

I have a masters in finance and 3 years audit experience from a big 4.
Would this be sufficient to apply for citizenship? Or can there be another route I can take for my citizenship given my background?

overman77@gmail.com

Thanks in advance.

- Toronto_Boy - 01-24-2010

Dear overman

I think you have enough education and experience, but I am not expert on this matter. There are many details which you would have to see. Ask immigration related questions from people who are in queue these days as they can provide you updated info. I got mine in late 90s so my info is not that much current.

Following forum can help you. Ask applicants from Pakistan. They seem quite helpful there. Click on CHC Islamabad applicants thread;

http//www.immigration.ca/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5&PN=335&title=for-chc-islamabad-applicants

http//www.immigration.ca/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=1&title=skilled-worker-independent-immigration

Yes, CMA Canada does not recognize CMA(IMA) as both are rival associations. You may consider CIA as immediate solution that may help your category of "Auditor" also.

I hope it helps.

Regards

- MRS - 01-24-2010

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, san" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by overman</i>
<br />Dear all,

I would like to apply for the Canadian citizenship through a skilled worker qualification (1111.1 financial auditor). I am currently planning on taking the IMA CMA exam but recently became aware that CMA Canada does not recognize IMA CMA.

Does anyone have any suggestions and or experience with some potential issues I might be facing during my application process?

I have a masters in finance and 3 years audit experience from a big 4.
Would this be sufficient to apply for citizenship? Or can there be another route I can take for my citizenship given my background?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Dear

You are eligible for immigration if you can score 67 points. For masters you will get 22 points and for four years experience you can get 21 points, for age below 41 you will get 10 points. If you have any relative in canada you will get 5 points and you can get 4 points if you are married to a graduate. Rest you can score in IELTS. In short you are eligible. Just prepare your case and support it with necessary documents.

You can apply under NOC 1111 (i.e Accountants and Financial Auditors) for this you need to support your case with experience certificates reflecting the job descriptions of this NOC.

Hope this helps.

regards

- overman - 01-24-2010

Thanks for the advice all.

- Toronto_Boy - 01-27-2010

Dears

Please read.

http//www.jang.com.pk/jang/jan2010-daily/26-01-2010/col13.htm

US restrictions would indirectly improve chances of Pakistani origin Canadian professionals to work in US after getting Canadian citizenship (in 4 years). Proper career planning is required to set and achieve future objectives.

Regards