Accountancy Forum
Canadian Immigration and ACCA, CIMA, CFA or CMA - Printable Version

+- Accountancy Forum (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum)
+-- Forum: The Profession (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Students (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Canadian Immigration and ACCA, CIMA, CFA or CMA (/showthread.php?tid=5192)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

- Dard - 02-13-2010

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, san" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Toronto_Boy</i>
<br />Dear students

Though I know that you must have listened it many times, but I just want to assure you again.

Study and education is <b>the easiest thing </b> in life that you can do and <b>the easiest time </b> to get it is while living with your parents. So, concentrate on your studies and get as much as possible before you would be at your own.

Best wishes
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
According to a research studying is the toughest thing in life

- Dard - 02-13-2010

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, san" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Toronto_Boy</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, san" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Dard</i>
<br />Many PpL here think life abroad is heaven<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Dear Dard

Well the thing is, people are not much wrong in thinking so, specially if they compare current problems they face every day. But the point is, as always, there is a "price" of living a good life in "heaven", which is "preparation".

So, the people who are "prepared" well and ready to pay the price, live a good life in "heaven".

However, our people are so humble that without doing enough "preparation", become happy if they just get a corner to live in "heaven", even at its lowest level.

By the way, I am writing on this forum for some time but still have slightly more than 450 posts, though comparatively you are a new poster, have crossed 300 milestone...Just kidding, keep it up...Congrats and Cheers[)]

Regards
By "heaven" i meant PpL think there are no hardships whatsoever and they will live a luxurious life during studies
Thanks for the compliment(as i take it). I try my level best to help PpL here to the best of my knowledge. Therefore my posts/day are higher

- Toronto_Boy - 02-13-2010

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, san" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Dard</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, san" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Toronto_Boy</i>
<br />Dear students

Though I know that you must have listened it many times, but I just want to assure you again.

Study and education is <b>the easiest thing </b> in life that you can do and <b>the easiest time </b> to get it is while living with your parents. So, concentrate on your studies and get as much as possible before you would be at your own.

Best wishes

Dear Dard

I know what you mean and agree with it to some extent.

Please feel no offence, but have you ever considered how much continuous struggle/ efforts are needed to become a national level sportsman in any famous sports?

Have you ever considered how difficult the job of any driver is? How much difficult it is to sell sabzi on a thela (vegetable hawker)?

How much difficult it is to be a police man and standing on road all day?

How much difficult it is to be a clerk and living whole life in small amount?

How much "riaz" practice is required to be a good singer, pianist, violinist etc. etc.?

Even the job of an ordinary labourer (i.e. mazdoor)?

How much difficult it is to stand whole day and rush to clean windshields while vehicles stop for few moments for few Rs.?

How much difficult it is to get up at 3AM, khaiton main hal chalana, aur paani lagana?

How much difficult it is to go on feet for miles regularly, just to fill some buckets of drinking water?

There are many others, but I don't wanna mention.

How many of us have ever experienced any of such jobs, alongwith did our studies, and then compared both. How many of us realized which one is more difficult?

At-least to me all above jobs are many times difficult than my own studies in whole life. What I have done in my life so far than turning some pages (though in thousands), reading and writing in exams. Was it anywhere near to working even as hard as an ordinary labourer? I don't think so.

Others are free to have their own opinion.

Regards

- MRS - 02-18-2010

<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, san" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Dard</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, san" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Toronto_Boy</i>
<br />Dear students

Best wishes

.....At-least to me all above jobs are many times difficult than my own studies in whole life. What I have done in my life so far than turning some pages (though in thousands), reading and writing in exams. Was it anywhere near to working even as hard as an ordinary labourer? I don't think so.

Others are free to have their own opinion.

Regards

@ Toronto boy

Agreed to certain extent dear. There is always this debate of physical verses mental work and at times I feel that these jobs in finance department consume our mental energy to such an extent that one feel mental as well as physical fatigue.

By the way its very difficult to start your studies again [)]

I am preparing for CIMA and that’s after the gap of around 5 years when i completed my ACMA. Believe me its seems hell lot difficult in fact i wonder how did i passed ICMAP [D]

Its look very odd when I sit in ICMAP library among young students and what else I can say….

Do wish me success in my latest endeavours.

- Toronto_Boy - 02-18-2010

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, san" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">[i]Originally posted by MRS
@ Toronto boy

Agreed to certain extent dear. There is always this debate of physical verses mental work and at times I feel that these jobs in finance department consume our mental energy to such an extent that one feel mental as well as physical fatigue.

Dear MRS

Its always very interesting to communicate with you.

Yes, I thought too to elaborate a little further the difference between physical and mental labour, but then I thought perhaps this would lower intensity of my message to our young brothers. Anyways, I agree with you that mental labour can also have physical labour's effects. But, dear, that is the reason that I called it the easiest and most energetic time to study while being with parents with minimal distractions.

[/quote]

By the way its very difficult to start your studies again [)]
[/quote]

Yes, you are very right. This was one of the reasons to start this thread.

[/quote]

I am preparing for CIMA and that’s after the gap of around 5 years when i completed my ACMA. Believe me its seems hell lot difficult in fact i wonder how did i passed ICMAP [D]

Do wish me success in my latest endeavours.

[/quote]

My friend, as I told you in our last face to face meeting, I say you here again that your capabilities to do ICMAP ensures that you can now do CIMA too. So, to me its only a matter of some time and offcourse efforts that you would be a CIMA too, soon InshaAllah. I wish you best of luck.

[/quote]

It looks very odd when I sit in ICMAP library among young students and what else I can say….

[/quote]

I would say you are doing a great thing by considering addition to existing qualification and working hard toward that. Its a metter of courage.

Eventually you came to the same point that I was trying to convey in my previous post to students. From your position and experience now, would you not tell them that it is the easiest time, and utilize it effectively and efficiently? Are they not lucky enough that they have this opportunity to be in the library, rather than doing some physical work?

By the way, when our next meeting is happening?

Wish you all the best.

- MRS - 02-18-2010

Keeping in view reference to context of this post the point is conceded. [Wink]

If every thing goes as per plan then i will be back in toronto by July 2010 inshallah. And this time our meeting will be on dinner (ofcourse at my place )[)]

Many thanks for your wishes.

- aahan786 - 02-21-2010

Assalam-u-alekum everyone

This is my first ever post in accountancy forum. I have read many posts in this thread and would like to appreciate the efforts by all of you people especially Torontoboy. Though the whole discussion (except for the typical ACCA v/s CA part -) LOLz) clarified many notions but I'd be really grateful if someone could provide me comfort over my plans in specific.

Presently, I’m left with 4 papers of the ACCA which I plan to pass within two attempts max (Inshallah). I have four years experience in couple of top class asset management companies of Pakistan. Along with that, I also have started efforts to obtain Oxford Brookes University’s B.Sc degree and completing my Practical Experience Requirement (PER) so that by the time I pass all my papers, I could be eligible to claim ACCA membership. As far as my knowledge helps, a four years degree (such as B.Sc Oxford Brookes) and full ACCA membership are essential to be eligible to apply for CGA membership. As soon as I successfully complete online Canadian Tax and Law course and get CGA membership (Inshallah), I want to immigrate to Canada. Few weeks ago, I met a representative of a large Canadian immigration firm. One of them was a Canadian and the other one was a local. The Canadian guy said that CGA qualification is going to help me a lot during immigration application process.

Now the problematic part over which I’m little confused. The industry where I worked in Pakistan is still in nascent stages therefore is probably much different than what advanced countries like Canada may have. I’m not sure if it will be easy for me to join the same or at least a similar industry in Canada. As I said earlier, I don’t have any prior experience in audit therefore I want to start off in Canada from an Audit firm. I heard that Audit firms hire fresh graduates every year and like other countries such UK they hire graduates as trainees with full job except that they are required to pass the examinations within 3-4 years time span. Assuming that I’ll not be expected to pass any papers (being a CGA member by then) I plan to pursue CFA, CPA or most probably CA from CICA (whatever appropriate) during the time with audit firm. I’ll be immensely grateful if someone having experience could advise esp. over this last part.

Thanking you in advance

Ashfaque
KHI.

- aahan786 - 02-21-2010

Just to clarify "first ever post" part (in case if some1 notes multiple posts shown by the forum -P), I probably posted here many years ago which totally skipped out of my mind... P

- Dard - 02-21-2010

Many wouldn't have noticed the number of postsp(atleast i hadn't)
The degree required by CGA doesn't have to be 4 years degree. All the undergraduate degrees in U.K are of 3 years. Bsc in applied accounting and MBA from OBU is recognised by CGA, Canada
It is not easy going into a new location. Accountancy jobs are similar, but not totally same, in many countries. You will have to get yourself familiarised with the canadian GAAP. As an ACCA, IFRS shouldn't cause a problem to you

- aahan786 - 02-21-2010

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, san" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Dard</i>
<br />Many wouldn't have noticed the number of postsp(atleast i hadn't)
The degree required by CGA doesn't have to be 4 years degree. All the undergraduate degrees in U.K are of 3 years. Bsc in applied accounting and MBA from OBU is recognised by CGA, Canada
It is not easy going into a new location. Accountancy jobs are similar, but not totally same, in many countries. You will have to get yourself familiarised with the canadian GAAP. As an ACCA, IFRS shouldn't cause a problem to you

Dear Dard (what kinda id is that BTW[p])

Thanks for the reply and clarification about 3 -4 years degree. No matter what the exact requirement is, the bottom line is that B.Sc OBU degree is acceptable for CGA eligibility as far as I can understand. Please correct me if I am wrong.

As you have correctly stated that accountancy jobs are similar but never the same, it is exactly one of the reasons that made me think about an audit firm instead of going for a permanent job. As per my understanding, even if I spend 1 - 2 years in an audit firm in Canada, (i.e. starting as a graduate who has no practical knowledge about accountancy and audit) it would be helpful not only to understand the business environment of new country but also to obtain a firm grip over the local GAAPs and other technical competences which may be expected from a CGA trained in an Audit firm. Do you endorse the idea?

Thanks
ASH.

- shredder - 02-22-2010

Hi Toronto Boy,

Glad to see this forum you started as I am in search of a strategic career plan along with my intention to migrate in Canada. Here's my plan for the moment, (subject to your suggestion) [D]

1) IMA-USA - Plan to finish it here in my country (Philippines) prior to migrating, understood that it is not widely recognized in Canada but I guess it's better having a certification than nothing.

2) ACCA - Apply as a CAT (full exemption policy for IMA-CMA) after finishing IMA-USA certification. Then finish full ACCA papers in Canada. I have tried to contact ACCA if CAT papers will be affected due to reformat in IMA's exam, after long exchange of emails ACCA advised that all exemptions are available in their website, never bothered to follow-up after that. (In my opinion, I guess CAT papers will still have full exemption, though several ACCA exams might be affected).

* How would an IMA and ACCA (CAT level)combo fare well in the canadian job market?

3) I have come accross this canadian accounting technician professional association, http//www.instituteofat.org/ , May I know if their diploma in professional accounting will give an immigrant an advantage in getting accounting jobs?

Thanks in Advance.

Regards,
Shredder

- Dard - 02-22-2010

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, san" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by aahan786</i>
<br />Many wouldn't have noticed the number of postsp(atleast i hadn't)

Dear Dard (what kinda id is that BTW[p])

Thanks for the reply and clarification about 3 -4 years degree. No matter what the exact requirement is, the bottom line is that B.Sc OBU degree is acceptable for CGA eligibility as far as I can understand. Please correct me if I am wrong.

As you have correctly stated that accountancy jobs are similar but never the same, it is exactly one of the reasons that made me think about an audit firm instead of going for a permanent job. As per my understanding, even if I spend 1 - 2 years in an audit firm in Canada, (i.e. starting as a graduate who has no practical knowledge about accountancy and audit) it would be helpful not only to understand the business environment of new country but also to obtain a firm grip over the local GAAPs and other technical competences which may be expected from a CGA trained in an Audit firm. Do you endorse the idea?

Thanks
ASH.

- aahan786 - 02-22-2010

Nobody is replying? [(]

- saleen.super - 02-22-2010

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, san" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by aahan786</i>
<br />Nobody is replying? [(]

A person who wants to establish his career in accountancy must spend initial 3-5 years in an audit firm as it helps in accomplishing all those tasks that you have mentioned in your last post.
Its written in the holy book of accountancy.

- Toronto_Boy - 02-23-2010

<br />Assalam-u-alekum everyone

Now the problematic part over which I’m little confused. The industry where I worked in Pakistan is still in nascent stages therefore is probably much different than what advanced countries like Canada may have. I’m not sure if it will be easy for me to join the same or at least a similar industry in Canada. As I said earlier, I don’t have any prior experience in audit therefore I want to start off in Canada from an Audit firm. I heard that Audit firms hire fresh graduates every year and like other countries such UK they hire graduates as trainees with full job except that they are required to pass the examinations within 3-4 years time span. Assuming that I’ll not be expected to pass any papers (being a CGA member by then) I plan to pursue CFA, CPA or most probably CA from CICA (whatever appropriate) during the time with audit firm. I’ll be immensely grateful if someone having experience could advise esp. over this last part.

Thanking you in advance

Ashfaque
KHI.

Dear Ashfaque

One can do whatever he/she wants while doing a job in Audit firm in Canada. So, you can do either nothing or whatever qualification you want.

Having said that, please feel no offence but I think you have done much brainstorming and using too many assumptions about future.

Dear, one may try wherever he wants (audit firm or industry), but end of the day everyone needs bread, so starts from whatever he gets in new country. However, one can (and should) continuously strive hard for the best jobs available.

So, in my view, leave too many assumptions aside till the actual time comes. At that time, do your best, and pick-up the best available job.

Regards