Accountancy Forum
Canadian Immigration and ACCA, CIMA, CFA or CMA - Printable Version

+- Accountancy Forum (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum)
+-- Forum: The Profession (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Students (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Canadian Immigration and ACCA, CIMA, CFA or CMA (/showthread.php?tid=5192)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

- Toronto_Boy - 02-24-2010

Dear shani Walaikum AsSalam

I don't wanna write you 420... [)]LOL.

Thanks for info, but CMA (IMA) has recently changed number of exams. So, how many exemptions ACCA would give after new change in CMA (IMA) exams is not clear yet. I hope it would remain same.

Regards

- shani420 - 02-24-2010

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, san" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Toronto_Boy</i>
<br />Dear shani Walaikum AsSalam

I don't wanna write you 420... [)]LOL.

Thanks for info, but CMA (IMA) has recently changed number of exams. So, how many exemptions ACCA would give after new change in CMA (IMA) exams is not clear yet. I hope it would remain same.

Regards

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
dear,
ID Shani was not available so I wrote 420 upfront unintentionally.
CIMA also changed its course and now ACCA website show that exemptions for CIMA r valid uptill April 2010.They may or may not review it.But for IMA nothing is written so I thought that they might stick with the previous exemptions.
Regards.

- shredder - 02-24-2010

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, san" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by shani420</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, san" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Toronto_Boy</i>
<br />Dear Shredder

Sorry you had to wait.

Take it this way, with CMA (IMA) and CAT at-least you can represent yourself as US and UK education holder to prospective employers here, which may increase your employability.

Dear, I don’t know either how many CAT or ACCA papers would be exempted after CMA (IMA). Suppose if someone has to do 10 ACCA papers in total and he takes 2 papers in each attempt. It would take about 2.5 years to complete all ACCA papers. At-least I can tell you that completing any of 3 Canadian designation takes more than 2.5 years for immigrants. However, you would have to calculate cost and risks involved in this option.

I have no idea about IAT institute you referred. In my view, you may consider any local college/ university diploma where you would be residing (like Seneca/ Centennial/ Humber/ York/ Ryerson etc. in Toronto), as employers know and prefer graduates of local institutions. Though website of this IAT institute says its Canadian but I never heard of it before.

I hope it helps.

Best Wishes and Regards

salam Toronto-boy,
CMA(IMA) gets 7 exemption in ACCA so 7 remain to be attempted which could be done in a year(3 and 4 in two attempts).
Regards.

Hi Toronto boy and Shani,
Thanks for your inputs. Very well appreciated. [D] I guess IAT is out of the plan for the meantime. Also tried to google but the only hit i had was the link to their website, and hope that IMA's exemption will not be lessened.
Regards.

- aahan786 - 02-26-2010

Aua
Hello everyone.

Hope all of you guys are doing perfectly well. I’m back again with my questions related to Audit firms in Canada? [p]

Does anyone among you people has any experience or knowledge about the hiring process of big four firms in Canada? I have been checking their career websites. As far as my knowledge serves, all of them offer opportunities to fresh graduates to join various departments from Audit/ assurance to business advisory etc. Career websites of some firms has the option for those graduates who are residing outside Canada and have attained their degrees from other countries. Does it mean that they may be issuing work permits etc too? Any ideas! Please guide me about how a prospective candidate for Audit firms can increase his/her chances of finding an audit job with big four firms?

Thanks & regards

ASH

- Dard - 02-26-2010

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, san" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by aahan786</i>
<br />Aua
Hello everyone.

Hope all of you guys are doing perfectly well. I’m back again with my questions related to Audit firms in Canada? [p]

Does anyone among you people has any experience or knowledge about the hiring process of big four firms in Canada? I have been checking their career websites. As far as my knowledge serves, all of them offer opportunities to fresh graduates to join various departments from Audit/ assurance to business advisory etc. Career websites of some firms has the option for those graduates who are residing outside Canada and have attained their degrees from other countries. Does it mean that they may be issuing work permits etc too? Any ideas! Please guide me about how a prospective candidate for Audit firms can increase his/her chances of finding an audit job with big four firms?

Thanks & regards

ASH

- Toronto_Boy - 02-28-2010

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, san" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by aahan786</i>
<br />Aua
Hello everyone.

Thanks & regards

ASH

Dear

I have said earlier that whatever you are thinking is too distant thing. There could be many a slip between cup and lips. Once you are here legally, only after that its better to spend energies on job searching or audit firms.

Once a person is here with legal status, applies for jobs in audit firms, and if they do not hire, then one may go back to Canadian university for any relevant degree etc. which MAY improve chances of getting a job in audit firms, as they usually hire from university campuses.

So, please come here first with legal status. I hope you would not feel any offence here.

Regards

- aahan786 - 02-28-2010

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, san" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Toronto_Boy</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, san" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by aahan786</i>
<br />Aua
Hello everyone.

Thanks & regards

ASH

Dear

I have said earlier that whatever you are thinking is too distant thing. There could be many a slip between cup and lips. Once you are here legally, only after that its better to spend energies on job searching or audit firms.

Once a person is here with legal status, applies for jobs in audit firms, and if they do not hire, then one may go back to Canadian university for any relevant degree etc. which MAY improve chances of getting a job in audit firms, as they usually hire from university campuses.

So, please come here first with legal status. I hope you would not feel any offence here.

Regards

<b>I asked a similar question coz apparently, i don't see any issues with getting a legal status and there may be one or multiple, potential yet obvious bottlenecks out of our knowledge. If such risks materialises (god forbid) it would be a futile effort to try my a** hard and arrive in Canada only to find out that (e.g. as you just said) I'm supposed to get a degree from a Canadian university. I think nobody can normally be expected to study till 40 years of age, isn't it!!</b>

- Dard - 02-28-2010

<br />Aua
Hello everyone.

Thanks & regards

ASH
As toronto boy advised, it is better to be legally in Canada first
International Graduate placement in BIG firms abroad is very competitive. But you can try and try but don't put all your hopes and expectations on this
You have to apply online for a graduate trainee vacancy and fill out an application form. The form has some sections by which the recruitment team can initially judge your communication skills. So be very careful there are no grammatical or spelling mistakes. Their academic requirements are strict, make sure you fulfill them before submitting your application
Once submitted, a recruitement expert goes through the application. If you are lucky enough and have communicated in a good way, your application will be processed further
The next stage is online tests. Most probably there will be two online tests(You should surf the firms website or enquire them via email for any query regarding the tests). If successful, you will be called for an interview(you will have to go to Canada for this). Number of interviews again depend on firms
A job offer will follow the interview(s). The firm will apply on your behalf for a work permit(subject to labour market test)
There are certain things you should consider If you are lucky enough to be called up for interviews, you will have to go to Canada. If you are not selected after the interviews, all your money will go down the drain. If offered a job, the firm will have to prove to the relevant authority that a local resident was not available for a job(market labour test). This test is not needed for certain occupations like financial auditors and managers. But financial auditors and managers will be removed from the list soon. So hurry!

- Toronto_Boy - 02-28-2010

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, san" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Dard</i>
This test is not needed for certain occupations like financial auditors and managers. But financial auditors and managers will be removed from the list soon.

Dear Dard

Such labour market tests exemption might be for those who have acceptable experience and are already qualified. May not be exempted for trainee applicants.

Moreover, sometimes probable options do not mean that they are pratical too, specially these days when crossing "Faizabad (in Islamabad)" is a difficult task, leaving treatment/ processing in Canadian High Commission in Islamabad aside.

Regards

- aahan786 - 02-28-2010

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, san" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Dard</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, san" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by aahan786</i>
<br />Aua
Hello everyone.

Thanks & regards

ASH
As toronto boy advised, it is better to be legally in Canada first
International Graduate placement in BIG firms abroad is very competitive. But you can try and try but don't put all your hopes and expectations on this

<b>Thank you very much for the response

I plan to perform all job search activities AFTER arriving in Canada. I do realize that, I will have to undertake some other and possibly low level job too until I find an appropriate job. </b>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, san" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">You have to apply online for a graduate trainee vacancy and fill out an application form. The form has some sections by which the recruitment team can initially judge your communication skills. So be very careful there are no grammatical or spelling mistakes. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

<b>Can this part (only) be done while sitting abroad i.e. out of Canada? If yes, could this be helpful in some way? I think, I can take care of communication skills and grammar etc. [)] </b>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, san" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Their academic requirements are strict, make sure you fulfill them before submitting your application<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

<b>Can you please elaborate lil bit about their academic requirements? Do you have any idea about what could be the impact on their assessment if a candidate already is a member of some professional accountancy body e.g. CGA?</b>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, san" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">If successful, you will be called for an interview (you will have to go to Canada for this). Number of interviews again depend on firms
A job offer will follow the interview(s). The firm will apply on your behalf for a work permit(subject to labour market test)
There are certain things you should consider If you are lucky enough to be called up for interviews, you will have to go to Canada. If you are not selected after the interviews, all your money will go down the drain. If offered a job, the firm will have to prove to the relevant authority that a local resident was not available for a job(market labour test). This test is not needed for certain occupations like financial auditors and managers.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

<b>Assume that the candidate is residing in Canada (let's say as an immigrant). Would he/she be able to avoid all the fuss i.e. firm applying on my behalf for work permit etc. ?</b>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, san" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">But financial auditors and managers will be removed from the list soon. So hurry!<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

<b>is that a bad news for those people too who want to immigrate to Canada as skilled workers?</b>

- Dard - 02-28-2010

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, san" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Can this part (only) be done while sitting abroad i.e. out of Canada? If yes, could this be helpful in some way? I think, I can take care of communication skills and grammar etc. [)]<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

<b>Yes, since it is online procedure, it can be done while sitting anywhere. What do you mean by "if this could helpful in some way?"</b>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, san" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Can you please elaborate lil bit about their academic requirements? Do you have any idea about what could be the impact on their assessment if a candidate already is a member of some professional accountancy body e.g. CGA?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
<b>Academic requirements depend on the post you applied for. Some do recognise additional qualifications and skills. But some/most of them only consider graduates and not qualified professionals. Qualified professionals should apply under the "experienced class" category</b>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, san" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Assume that the candidate is residing in Canada (let's say as an immigrant). Would he/she be able to avoid all the fuss i.e. firm applying on my behalf for work permit etc. ?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
<b>Is not it good that the firm applies on your behalf and you don't have to do anything? Well, if you migrated as Federal Skilled worker then you don't even need a work permit!</b>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, san" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">is that a bad news for those people too who want to immigrate to Canada as skilled workers?
<b>Certainly yes, it is a bad news for them too. There have been vast number of applications under those categories</b>

- aahan786 - 02-28-2010

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, san" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Yes, since it is online procedure, it can be done while sitting anywhere. What do you mean by "if this could helpful in some way?"<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

<b>I meant the same thing i.e. it may help in applying from anywhere...</b>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, san" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Academic requirements depend on the post you applied for. Some do recognize additional qualifications and skills. But some/most of them only consider graduates and not qualified professionals. Qualified professionals should apply under the "experienced class" category<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

<b>[(].............[p]</b>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, san" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Is not it good that the firm applies on your behalf and you don't have to do anything? Well, if you migrated as Federal Skilled worker then you don't even need a work permit!<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

<b>Naiki aur pooch pooch ke... [P] I asked that coz, from your reply, it appeared as if reaching such a position would be extremely difficult, if not impossible.[)]</b>

- Dard - 03-01-2010

It is tough to get a job offer, because of competition, but not impossible

- overman - 03-01-2010

Good greetings,

In response to one of the quotes that
"financial auditors and managers" will be taken
off the list 'NOC' can any please expound on this
some more. Any expectations when this could take
effect and where developments and or discussions
could be tracked/followed?

Thanks in advance.

Overman77@gmail.com

- Toronto_Boy - 03-01-2010

Overman

At-least I have no idea about it. Perhaps Dard or someone else can have some insight.

Regards