Accountancy Forum
Canadian Immigration and ACCA, CIMA, CFA or CMA - Printable Version

+- Accountancy Forum (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum)
+-- Forum: The Profession (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Students (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Canadian Immigration and ACCA, CIMA, CFA or CMA (/showthread.php?tid=5192)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

- aukhan - 10-12-2011

The problem with Pakistani CA/CMA is not with the qualification but it is the stigma of being an Institute in one of the under developed country and the fact that Pakistan doesnt have a good repo out side. I have workd abroad as well as in Pakistan, People abroad only appreciate Pakistani CA/MAS, if they have tested them with difficult assignments and most of the time they themselves admit that Pakistani CA/CMA are as good and some cases better than western CAs/CMAs. I was told that the Problem is the fact that "Pakistan" has a dubious name with respect to people getting fraudulant qualifications and in some cases certain institute/uneversity high officials are also involved in it, hence he claimed that it becomes difficult to judge wheter the person is a genuine CA/CMA or just a fake. Moreover Its a known fact that western qualified individuals always prefer western qualified individuals. Once I was helping my CIMA friend prepare for an Interview in the Dubai, but unfortunatley he failed in the MS EXCEL practical test, I asked him if there were any other people from Pakistan he told that the HR agent was informed by his client that they need "a Western or a Western Qualified Professional". Pakistani CA/CMA are unduly discriminated abroad.

If you guys can see, all of the receprocal arrangments of the Institutes of western countries are among them selves only (like ICAEW or ICAA or ICNZ or CICA or CPA or CIMA or CGA or ACCA ). While all of those qualifications belonging to the third world get partial or no reciprocal arrangement at all.

- hasan9900 - 10-15-2011

My freind (after completing his alevels) went to canada for his undergrad in accounting. he's planning to do CA-CICA from there aswell (he's canadian citizen). In my opinion if you want to work abroad then you should go for their own qualifications in the first place.
btw do u mind helping me http//www.accountancy.com.pk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=26817

- Abdur Rehman - 12-05-2011

Honorable Tronto_boy
i am new to this thread i read you have a lot of experience in Canadian Accounting Designations. i also need your valuable help to navigate my future in the right direction.
i did my MBA and i interested in the CGA Canada would you please tell me how to get admission the CGA.
Kindly do reply me

- Toronto_Boy - 12-07-2011

Hi

I am not aware of CGA's current eligiblity rules. Please check their website or send them an email.

To be a direct student of CGA, I think a candidate should be at-least legal immigrant of Canada i.e. not on student visa. So it depends on your legal status in Canada. OR other way to get CGA is through MRAs such as with ACCA etc.

In my personal opinion, unless someone has a legal status in Canada or is immigrating to Canada in near future, I would not suggest Canadian accounting designations to a person living in Pakistan because so many other equivalently good accounting/ finance designations are available in Pakistan these days.

I don't think a candidate can enroll and sit in CGA exams in Pakistan as these are not being offered there (though I am not sure) like ACCA, CIMA, ICAEW etc.

Admission in a degree program (and student visa)could be one option if someone wanna come to Canada.

I hope it helps.

- Abdur Rehman - 12-07-2011

Honorable Tronto_boy
i am extremely grateful for your reply, Sir it is right that the CGA is not offered in Pakistan, but if a person get a study permit then he can get the admission and i do have corresponding with CGA and they told me that i have to get through an assessment named IQAS (international qualification assessment services) and if i get through that Assessment then i can get the admission what actually i want to know that will visa officials issue the visa on securing the admission or not and one more thing Sir do you know anyone who hold the CGA i need to contact him kindly do reply me.
Regards

- Toronto_Boy - 12-07-2011

Dear

How come I know that visa officer would issue visa in this case or not? Sorry, I don't know. I know CGA members in Toronto, but perhaps they would not reply.

Bhai, if you really wanna come to Canada then get admission in any university degree and apply for student visa. After completion of degree and settling here, you may go for CGA etc.

Note that Canada is differnt than USA or UK. You may not find illegal jobs here. Even qualified and legal immigrants find difficulties to get low paying jobs here in already recession hit economy. Also, students take years to complete CGA. Have you checked CGA feeses and accomodation expenses etc.? How would you finance yourself for all these years?

If I would be in your shoes, I would go for things that are available in Pakistan. Do you know that UK's accounting qualifications that are available in Pakistan have direct MRAs with Canadian qualification like CGA, CMA, and CA. It means that a member of ACCA, CIMA, or ICAEW from Pakistan may get membership of such associations with minimal requirements.

Bhai, I am telling you an easy way and you are saying (no offence) that you would go on top of K2 first and then study. Please analyze your options.

I hope it helps.

Regards

- Abdur Rehman - 12-09-2011

Honorable Tronto_boy
i don't know what should i say here

- gimvie - 12-11-2011

Dear Toronto boy,

I am so glad that you have returned back to this forum after a long time. I am very much impressed by your fair guidelines.

Let me introduce myself
I have completed CAT from Pakistan then went to U.K for ACCA. There I completed most of ACCA papers. After 3 years I came back to Pakistan and started articles from BIG4. meanwhile I got BSC horns in Accountancy from OBU. Now 2 years of articles completed and last paper of ACCA is result awaiting.

I am planning to move Canada for its passport (as my home country economic environment Is not good, in Canada if I will not get reasonable job then I can also start business after PR). For that I chose student route, I met to a consultant ( good friend of my dad), he told me that Master program in Canada are usually for 1 or 1.5 years so it will not be easy to get PR after masters in accountancy/professional accountancy. secondly, they need GMAT and admission criteria are though in universities. therefore he suggested me to take admission in Humber/George Brown college in Ontario Graduate certificate in Global Business Management (GBM) 2 years of duration.

I am bit confused as I can divert from my accountancy background and it seems that GBM has no/limited worth for jobs ( As I have never heard about jobs for GBM). But I am giving satisfaction to my self that after GBM I can easily get passport and my previous experience and ACCA/CGA/Bsc will help me to get job in accountancy field.
So friend, what you really suggest me as I am very much confused for taking decision.

P.S Your time is precious, but can help for my better future.

- Toronto_Boy - 12-13-2011

Hi

First of all, I am not a consultant. Whatever I write here is based on my experience and understanding.

Why 1 or 1.5 year degree holder would not get PR and 2 year certificate holder get it easily? I could not understand. As far as I know, PR after completion of degree/ certificate depends on your residence status in Canada. For example, if someone gets married to Canadian spouse by the time of completion of studies or gets immigration or gets a job in Canada THEN he can get PR(permanent resident status/card). It is based on any valid and lawful reason of living in Canada and NOT on basis of length of prior qualification.

There are many universities in various provinces of Canada which do not require GMAT for admission in masters programs in accounting or business degrees. Also, there are many less costly programs/ universities too in various Canadian provinces. Try your luck in those.

Even you should search some provinces like Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Alberta etc. from provincial immigration program point of view so that after completion of your degree you may apply for immigration of those provinces.

Its your choice to go for GBM certificate or not. I think GBM is not irrelevant from your current studies. You may also switch to other degrees once you are here. In any case, you would apply for jobs on basis of CGA that I hope you would already have by that time through ACCA MRA. Remeber that most of the employers require legal status in Canada such as PR from job applicants and they might not be interested in sponsoring an applicant for PR status. However, you may try your luck.

Though my personal preferance would be toward any advance/ relevant degree, but you may consider GBM as a route to reach Canada and then CGA to find jobs here.

Just a final note, as I hope you would have already noticed after living in UK. Change of status from student to permanent has never been easy in western countries, but you may try your chances.

You may also consider higher studies in USA, Australia, and New Zealand etc. so that later you may settle there. I also heared that studies in Scandinavian countries (e.g. Norway) is not much expensive.

I hope it helps.

Best Wishes

- gimvie - 12-13-2011

Daer Toronto boy.
can yuo kindly send me your E-mail and Contact number at gimvie1@hotmail.com, so i can contact you directly for useful information

Regards

- gimvie - 12-15-2011

Guys,

I am ready to take GMAT exam, but I want to go in Masters in accountancy or either Masters relevant to accounts field. For that i can't fine any university which offer 2 years program.
Any one knows better than me about University which provide 2 years Masters in Accounts subjects ( so i can get 3 years PR which will lead to PR) I will appreciate.

- Fareed - 12-17-2011

Hi, guyz.
Please comment if u have relevant info or any suggestion.

I have a kind of unique query and hoping your feedback would be helpful for me.

M an ACCA student with 13 papers cleared.
I have prepared my Thesis for OBU and will be submitting it within a couple of months, In Sha Allah.

I have two choices to go for,

01. Do ACA (ICAEW), and join EnY for the experience and by the time I get my three years of experience completed I would be an ACA and ACCA.

02. The other one is that, I am planning to go for CFA and find relevant job in some financial institution(perhaps) in the mean time.

The reason y I consider the later option (although both ACCA n CFA designations have no connections), is that what I think is dat a chartered accountancy designation cannt take you to the highest level, CFO is the upper most limit (according to my narrow knowledge).

It has now almost being a week since the CFA option has invaded my mind. So, I know very little about it.

My questions

Q1. will I get higher status (post/designation in industry) and higher pay if I opt for ACA(ICAEW) or CFA? (after say, 10 years from now, keeping the luck factor, concentration and all the other factors constant)
please note one thing, i just want to see myself in (say) 2021, would Fareed(ACA) in 2021 be in better post and pay or would it be Fareed(CFA)in 2021 who win the race? Off course, no one can predict the future, but based on you people's vast knowledge and market experience I think you can get me an idea at least.

Q2. Provided you people advise me to go for CFA, which kind of job should I be searching for, to expose my self to the practical experience (I want to have practical exposure and to prepare my self for the exams for CFA in the mean time)?
The nature of the job that is relevant to CFA.

I appreciate your advise.

- waqas_rehman20 - 12-17-2011

Dear Mr. Toronto Boy

Sir could you plz let me know how many points I could claim on the base of ACCA+CGA(by MRA)+BSc Hons(OBU), is it 15/16/17 yrz of study as per Quebec Immig rules?

Thanx

Waiting

- Toronto_Boy - 12-20-2011

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, san" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by waqas_rehman20</i>
<br />Dear Mr. Toronto Boy

Sir could you plz let me know how many points I could claim on the base of ACCA+CGA(by MRA)+BSc Hons(OBU), is it 15/16/17 yrz of study as per Quebec Immig rules?

Thanx

Waiting
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

I have really no idea. You may ask such questions on immigration related forums like www.immigration.ca

http//www.immigration.ca/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=1&SID=ca69dze1469feazez4baf866cd3d32ca&title=skilled-worker-independent-immigration

- gimvie - 12-22-2011

Dear Toronto Boy,
i am interested in diploma in Accounting from University of British Columbia,that is post graduation diploma, the duration of the course is 1 year but some students can also complete this course in 2 years by picking less pappers in each semester. As total 11 papers are in that diploma.
if i will complete that course in 2 years instead of 1 year then can i apply for 3 years work permit after that? or secondly if i will do 2 diplomas of 1 year each then can apply for 3 years work permit in this case?

Regards