Accountancy Forum
Canadian Immigration and ACCA, CIMA, CFA or CMA - Printable Version

+- Accountancy Forum (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum)
+-- Forum: The Profession (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Students (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Canadian Immigration and ACCA, CIMA, CFA or CMA (/showthread.php?tid=5192)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

- BeL@L - 11-28-2008

Thanks bro, thats helpful indeed.

- Toronto_Boy - 12-22-2008

Dear ad2478

You have asked a good question. I would try to explain the strategy of US exams.

Basically, in CIMA one has to study various INDIVIDUAL subjects like management accounting, economics, business law, financial accounting etc.

On the other hand, each of US exams includes various areas of different subject in each exam. For example, CFA L1 includes Financial Accounting, Quantitative methods, and Economics, which are basically 3 different subjects. Similarly, FAR of CPA includes areas from Basic Accounting, Intermediate Accounting, Advance Accounting, Accounting for NFP, and Accounting for Government. Moreover, BEC contains areas from Economics, IT, Finance, Business, and Management Accounting.

Same is the case for CMA (USA). Please see areas covered in each of 4 CMA exams.

I hope it helps.

Regards

- sumairalam - 01-31-2009

Dear Toronto_Boy,

I really disappointed from myself why I didn't check your post before. I am CA finalist from ICAP ( one paper left of BFD)and currently in UAE , making plan to move ahead either to Canada or Australia.

After spending lots of time infect a month on research about various accounting professions that can suit me in moving to new country , I realized that ACCA is the best choice in every aspect.

I could save all this time and would register before a month enable me to sit in June 2009 examination, but nevertheless I already registered with ACCA and will take the exams in December 2009.

Anyway Thanks for your post at least I got to know that I didn't take the wrong decision.

What I also suggest to the fellow students / members if you are making plan to move to Canada / Australia and you are qualified chartered accountant register yourself for the ICAEW and try to get the certificate before landing their, and if you are student of ICAP / ICMA then also register yourself for ACCA. Ofcourse to qualify from ICAP is a passion for all of us ( students of ICAP) but to prepare yourself for a new market is also a wise decision.

Best Regards

- mroneflower - 01-31-2009

Dear sumairalam

u r suggesting to ICAP members to register with ICAEW, but u r registering with ACCA, Y is that. and what if ACCA gets audit recognition in Pakistan in comming yrs. it will happen for sure mark my words.

Khalid

ICAP students can register with ICAEW and when they fisish ICAP and become ICAP members MOU which ICAP signed with ICAEW will apply.

Moreover ICAP full members are exempted from ACCA 9 papers so they have to take and pass ACCA 5 papers. as sumairalam is not ICAP member therefore sumairalam will not get exemption from ACCA 9 papers and have to take ACCA more than 5 papers. Same rule will apply in ICAEW case.

I do not know why ICAP people are asking and taking non-ICAP people advise, when ICAP people claim they are the best. I also do not know why ICAP people are going for ACCA which is third class qualification according to ICAP, Double Standard. After degarding ICAP they are after ACCA now.

Anyway after becomming ACCA member sumairalam will be ACCA non Uk ACCA Qualified, its ICAP people claim.

Khalid

- kamranACA - 01-31-2009

Khalid,

Who said ACCA is a third class qualification? Can you refer these "exact words" anywhere in any thread of these forums? I will wait for. I doubt you are the first who said these words. others only have so far compared the advantages and disadvantages and that was also specific to various locations. This is by no means a disgrace. Is there some frustration in your thoughts?

There is no harm for any one to have more than one qualification either by qualifying it all the way or getting through mutual recognition modalities. This makes someone more acceptable worldover and more vibrant in different statutory desciplines.

The people of developing countries are said to be believeing in having more and more tags with their names. But it's also a truth that when they compete the advanced nations they have to make extra inputs and make more efforts and get more knowledge and successes. It cannot be termed as a disadavantage. If you feel it a taboo, who can help you. However, I always agreed that there should be qualitative reasons for having aditional qualifications. If the one is doing it because the first qualification is not paying him back the desired returns then he should think over the decision he took and exercised.

I know why you don't agree to this idea. Any body on this forum can analyse your frustration. Please come to Pakistan and try to get job, you will Inshallah find it without doing CA from ICAP. Please don't take it as offence.

Regards,

KAMRAN.

- rabia-k - 01-31-2009

mr khalid this is a bit confusing.

an ICAP student can register with ICAEW but cant sit for the ICAEW exams until he/she becomes a member. then y register until one becomes an ICAP member??

only ICAP members are exempted from ICAEW's papers not ICAP students.

Rabia

its not confusing at all. I never said ICAP student who can register with ICAEW cannot take ICAEW exam, but such ICAP student will not be given that number of exemption which ICAP full member will be gicen.

ICAP full member will be given exemptions in ICAEW 12 out of 15 papers. Suppose Someone who is ICAP student with last yrs of his training and one ICAP paper left, such ICAP student may be given exemption in ICAEW 10 or 11 paper and person will need to pass rest of ICAEW paper. Such ICAP member can calim exemption in ICAEW 12(2 extra paper o ICAEW) papers after becomming ICAP full member provided that he never attempted ICAEW paper in which he is claiming exemption after becomming ICAP member.

If such ICAP student attempts say ICAEW paper number 11 and failed then he will not be given exemption in ICAEW paper 11 even after becomming ICAP full member (which in normal circunstance should be given to him on the basis of ICAP membership). ACCA has same rules.

Someone who is ICAP student with last yrs of his training and one ICAP paper left. Such student will be required to undergo three yrs of ICAEW training instaed of 2 yrs(which is for ICAP members). At even after becomming ICAP full member ICAEW training duration will not be reduced from 3 to 2 yrs for such student (who later become ICAP full member) cause such student enter in ICAEW training contarct before becomming ICAP full member.

Hope its helps.

Khalid

I am comming back to Pakistan in December 2010 and plan to join PTI.

Khalid

- rabia-k - 01-31-2009

got it . thanks

- kamranACA - 02-02-2009

Khalid,

I wish you best of luck in the implementation of your plan.

Regards,

KAMRAN.

- mroneflower - 02-02-2009

Kamran

Thanks

- sumairalam - 02-03-2009

Dear Members,

ICAEW has made MOU with ICAI in November 2008 , according to that ICAI members can avail exemptions upto all papers except for Case study paper with no requiremnt of 2 yaers paractical training.

Means that by passing only one paper of Case study they will become the member of ICAEW.

ICAP members approached ICAEW to exempt ICAP also for the same. Our ICAP president and group of members are also approaching ICAEW for this, hopefully in the next visit of ICAP president to UK or in coming visit of personnel of ICAEW to Pakistan , this matter will be resolved in our favour. This is the reason why I suggest ICAP members to join ICAEW.

For student of ICAP ,like myself, ACCA is more attractive as the requirements are more relaxed. Further maximum exemption are 9 papers. So in case you are a member of ICAP you will not get more exemption than 9 papers.

Anyways all my suggestions are for those people who are making plan to move to Canada / Australia .

Best Regards

- kamranACA - 02-04-2009

Sumair,

I talked to ICAEW and they confirmed that ICAP's negotiations would hopefully bring the fruitful results as they have all the regards for the ICAP and its people.

Regards,

KAMRAN.

- sumairalam - 02-05-2009

Thats a great news. Thanks for sharing.