Accountancy Forum
ACCA vs CA - Printable Version

+- Accountancy Forum (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum)
+-- Forum: The Profession (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Career (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: ACCA vs CA (/showthread.php?tid=527)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35

- Pracs - 05-21-2006

Well, I based my advise on the fact that CA is still the prime qualification in Pakistan, I know ACCA is catching up but due to certain reasons (and we all know that) that will take time or may never happen. Yes ACCA with audit firm experience is a better option for sure.

ACCA is not the option for every one because of its cost. Personally I found that although the uncertanity in CA was much more than ACCA the results for my were always the same, usually first attempts.

Well, I think I should add to my advise to Saim that there is a level of uncertanity in CA. The best option ofcourse would be A levels + ACCA+ 3 years articles + CA Final exams (6 years min. following A levels). However, if you are an intermediate then the above route does not exactly add up. Money is an issue too ofcourse.

- loverfellow - 05-21-2006

Ok Ok Ok... Now, lets compare the degree tag and quality tag. I accept finding the job for the first time is easier for CA than ACCA, but degree tag wouldn't grow you up for long time. Finding a job for ACCA is also not difficult so far. What you think the company will prefer if they have both ACCA and CA doing the same job, while ACCA is productive, flexible and having great analysis and reporting for the company and CA is very much inclined to his work with old inflexible techniques and "ratta" work. Yes, they will hire CA in first ranks but after that when they will find that ACCA is more flexible, suitable and best analyst of the company's policies and plans, who they will promote. Of course, ACCA and it is happening. I have seen many of my senior friends seducing CAs in business sector. There was a time when no one was known to ACCA and now, I have listen through my friends about companies who are willingly looking for ACCAs rather than CAs because they are more flexible, versatile and mainly they demand less payment in first ranks. So, you see the foreseeable future of ACCAs who are penetrating in the market and with their quality of work they will out class CAs very soon.

Regarding the cost involve in doing ACCA, I don't believe that ACCA is expensive than CA. You know time is money and spending 3-4 excessive years on CA is not a cost effective approach.

At last, I would suggest you to go for CA if you want to have a job in government sector. Yes, because they never care what you have. They only see what you are.

- Pracs - 05-21-2006

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Tahoma, Arial" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by loverfellow</i>
<br /> Finding a job for ACCA is also not difficult so far. What you think the company will prefer if they have both ACCA and CA doing the same job, while ACCA is productive, flexible and having great analysis and reporting for the company and CA is very much inclined to his work with old inflexible techniques and "ratta" work. Yes, they will hire CA in first ranks but after that when they will find that ACCA is more flexible, suitable and best analyst of the company's policies and plans, who they will promote. Of course, ACCA and it is happening.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

I almost had a fit of laughter when I read your post, though I understand that the thread has actually progressed from the discussion about the degrees to the skills involved which is a good thing. You meant to imply that a CA had passed his exam through 'ratta' and therefore would be just a 'clerk' out on his job... I suggest you read these lines again to make some sense, you mean to imply that an ACCA and ACA who have had similar experience would not necessarily have acquired the same core skills ?? it sounds pathetic and funny. I am not going to take you to task on this since I realise you are wet behind the ears and have virtually no idea what practical work is.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Tahoma, Arial" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I have listen through my friends about companies who are willingly looking for ACCAs rather than CAs because they are more flexible, versatile and mainly they demand less payment in first ranks. So, you see the foreseeable future of ACCAs who are penetrating in the market and with their quality of work they will out class CAs very soon.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Companies are hiring ACCA at the offset for now because they are getting similar skills at a lower cost ! that is about it. This may change in some years when ACCAs in Pakistan get on to mid management level and the market has matured a little. I as an employer would definately higher an ACCA who's trained from a Big4 comapred to say a CA from a one parter firm. But that is all,. The quality of CAs is not dwindling at all, ICAP's made that sure (even if its through rather darconian and competitive policies)

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Tahoma, Arial" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">
At last, I would suggest you to go for CA if you want to have a job in government sector. Yes, because they never care what you have. They only see what you are.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Do CAs work for government sector at all? there are very few, again you need to do more of research before you start doling out advice here. You could have said that the traditional business sector still prefers CAs compared to MNCs, though I am not sure if that is true any longer.

- loverfellow - 05-21-2006

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Tahoma, Arial" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I almost had a fit of laughter when I read your post, though I understand that the thread has actually progressed from the discussion about the degrees to the skills involved which is a good thing. You meant to imply that a CA had passed his exam through 'ratta' and therefore would be just a 'clerk' out on his job... I suggest you read these lines again to make some sense, you mean to imply that an ACCA and ACA who have had similar experience would not necessarily have acquired the same core skills ?? it sounds pathetic and funny. I am not going to take you to task on this since I realise you are wet behind the ears and have virtually no idea what practical work is.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Oh! come on pracs. According to my knowledge, after seeing there final module papers and standard of question set, I can only say that these are ratta based questions. However, If you don't believe, go to the ACCA website download some part 3 past papers and compare them with the CA papers. I have seen 3.1 paper of ACCA and "advanced auditing" paper of CA, now, I challenge you no CA can solve this paper only for 50 marks but I assure you every ACCA who has passed this paper will solve CA paper for 70 marks easily. Go check it. Knowledge is the base of practice. The more the quality knowledge, the more better the practice will be.
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Tahoma, Arial" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">
Companies are hiring ACCA at the offset for now because they are getting similar skills at a lower cost ! that is about it. This may change in some years when ACCAs in Pakistan get on to mid management level and the market has matured a little. I as an employer would definately higher an ACCA who's trained from a Big4 comapred to say a CA from a one parter firm. But that is all,. The quality of CAs is not dwindling at all, ICAP's made that sure (even if its through rather darconian and competitive policies)<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Well, well, well, at least you agree somehow. I acknowledge quality of CAs is not dwindling, because why, they have such quality from beginning, because why, they have had no such competition before ACCA.
It was there quality and will be but there is no competition of quality education between CA and ACCA.
Do CAs work for government sector at all? there are very few, again you need to do more of research before you start doling out advice here. You could have said that the traditional business sector still prefers CAs compared to MNCs, though I am not sure if that is true any longer.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

I know there are very few CAs but there are. You shouldn't ignore the word "if" which means the choice which may be majority or minority.

Finally, I wouldn't be posting for at least 23 days because I have to do some real exam practice and go outside my place as well. So, don't expect any response from me for that limit. Ok...

- capricorn_me - 05-22-2006

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Tahoma, Arial" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Pracs</i>

Well, I think I should add to my advise to Saim that there is a level of uncertanity in CA. The best option ofcourse would be A levels + ACCA+ 3 years articles + CA Final exams (6 years min. following A levels). However, if you are an intermediate then the above route does not exactly add up. Money is an issue too ofcourse.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

well pracs why not,
CAT+ACCA+CA will also takes 6(or even 5 1/2 years) but if one is a good competitor

CAT ca b completed in 7 - 8 months
ACCA will take then 1.5 year
CA afterwards take 3 years
also 3 4(just an extra provision[)]) months may b waste due to results or any thing like that but after that , it will also take 5.5 - 6 years
[)]

- capricorn_me - 05-22-2006

also pracs
ABOUT MONEY, after doing cat there are only very few papers in which u need tution like 2.2 , 2.6 (and may b 1 or 2 from core)
so a huge amt. of money can be save, if one desires too.

- Pracs - 05-22-2006

Loverfellow,..

just on the basis of a certain question paper for one subject for one particular attempt, you must be kidding me...

When you come back after 23 days .... please meet a CA,, and possibly try working with one before you make these baseless presumptions,.. and goodluck for your exams

- loverfellow - 05-22-2006

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Tahoma, Arial" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">just on the basis of a certain question paper for one subject for one particular attempt, you must be kidding me...<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

I was just packing and see your post and I couldn't resist that you are misunderstanding. Well, Pracs, I think you are professional and still you don't care to read anything carefully. just see what I said.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Tahoma, Arial" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I visited the ICAP website and there I found past exam papers and I downloaded them. When I checked the final final papers of CA module, I was amazed by looking at the level of CA papers. There were question like consolidated balance sheet, P & L account, management studies and auditing.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

I downloaded all the papers of all sessions of CA final module and solve three of them and for remaining I just checked out, and they were similar standard to those.

As I have told you before that I am inexperienced but it doesn't mean that you say anything and I will accept which is not convincing. I have told you the test to go and check for yourself whether what I am talking is right or wrong. Its all about shifting your paradigm. If you can convince me after that, I will accept surely, because why, I have opened up my mind to accept things which are rational, reasonable and convincing and I haven't locked up the door to old theories and believes. So, just try to think widely and prepare your mind to accept things you will see the difference what is wrong what is right.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Tahoma, Arial" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">When you come back after 23 days .... please meet a CA,, and possibly try working with one before you make these baseless presumptions,.. and goodluck for your exams<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Of course, I will in future but I whatever I have said which I hadn't experienced was clearly labeled with appropriate word of uncertainty.

Any ways thanks for saying... Goodluck...
Goodluck too for you for your target as well...

- suleman - 06-29-2006

i am new at this forum but been referring to it for a long time.let me finish this discussion abot CA vs. ACCA.I am living in UK working for a CA firm.there is new news for all of you.ICAEW has recognised ACCA members to be equivalent to ICAEW.Those ACCA who have 5 years post qualification experience can apply for ICAEW membership but taking only the case study exam which apparently is based upon your experience during the last five years.You need a refenrece from an ICAEW member that you are a person of good professional standing and on passing case study, you are ICAEW.no need to worry about the authentcity of this,i asked it myself from ICAEW and this scheme is called as "freeway" scheme to ACCA.this scheme is also applicable to CIMA as per my friend but i didnt ask ICAEW about this so it needs clarification.

- asisfar1985 - 07-02-2006

hi friends
u all are focousing in a point CA>ACCA so that is
<font size="4"></font id="size4">But i<b></b>Tell you a great advantage of ACCA on CA
1----After comeleting u r ACCA with out Internship.You can Take admission
in ICAEW.by passing 3 papers you have a degree of ICAEW(CA of england & wales)
2-------After that you should given just two papers for Comeleting the ICAP.
3------in the last you done your Articleship for 3 years and it both for ACCA ICEAW,ICAP
it takes 1+3years to compelete 4 degrees.
Now you r able to think what is batter scope
Now you have a practical experience of 3 years.
Asif.farooq@yahoo.com
Asif farooq
Comments welcome on my mail adress

- ausmanpk2001 - 07-03-2006

Asif, thats really cool but its really difficult to get ICAEW training contract especially for people without work visa.

Now its limited to ACCA+CA+BSC= 3 degrees

- capricorn_me - 08-06-2006

but dear as well as i know that may be with in 1 year the BIG4 start icaew training in pak. for icaew too. so just wait and lets see.
other then that there are chances that in comming 1 year ACCA's are getting lisc. for external audits too, so .......
but just wait for 1 year , there will be many changes.

and sir not only ACCA+CA+BSc (100% wrong)
there is again opportuninty for ACCA students, as BSc from OBU not recognised( acoording to some one of u)from HEC
ACCA's can get not only, BSc from OBU, but also BBA hons. too.....
yes it is,
from PCBA/PICS( a chartered uni. for awarding BBA, MBA degree's)
just like as u submitt a thesis to OBU u hav to submitt a thesis to PCBA/PICS and u will be awarded BBA hons. with major in accounting and finance.
other then that when u qualify all 3 parts of ACCA(only by clearing the examz not gaining 3 years exp. as in case of OBU) , u have to attempt just one semester and then u will b also awarded with MBA from same uni.

- Pracs - 08-07-2006

That's news for me (PCBA/PICS). I guess some one at PCBA figured out they could tap into a huge market by awarding BBAs to ACCA affiliates and generating revenue.

Any what they charge for the BBA ?

- capricorn_me - 08-07-2006

dear pracs due to certain reasons i can't disclose A to Z about that , since this is not fromally introduced by both (acca and pcba/pics) as i am working with some internal affairs for of the tution provider for acca thats why i know.
BUT it is not much costly , might be under 50, or may be less then 20k
. Actullay now we are setting the course plan and after that come to the cost but it will not exceed more then i stated.

and dear not to acca affiliates but to the part 2 students i.e. those who hav cleared upto 2.6, just like the OBU requirements. for acca aff. they are awarding MBA by attending just one semester

- mubina - 08-30-2006

AOA

Salam to everyone, I have been reading these forums for quite some time now, and see all the difficulties that everyone is going through. I suggest you check out this site, so that you can see how many people have advice for you that is suitable, also this iste is very good for getting information on reports about accounting!

http//www.feeree.com/pages/accounting