Accountancy Forum
Accounting in Japan? - Printable Version

+- Accountancy Forum (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum)
+-- Forum: The Profession (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Students (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Accounting in Japan? (/showthread.php?tid=5456)

Accounting in Japan? - kushmirc1 - 02-23-2009

Hi all,
I am about to start my MS program in Accounting at the University of Colorado. My family is from Japan and I lived there for 2 years. I really enjoyed living there, and I was wondering if anyone knew if it would be practical to believe that I could find a job in Japan when I graduate or after I have some working experience here. I know that to get any time of licensure there is very difficult, but if I am an American CPA, is there a good chance of finding work there? I imagine that financial regulations are different in Japan, but if there are American firms located there, would they function under American financial regulations? Also, I speak/read Japanese, so that may help too. Any feedback is much appreciated, thanks!

- Pracs - 02-23-2009

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, san" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by kushmirc1</i>
<br />Hi all,
I am about to start my MS program in Accounting at the University of Colorado. My family is from Japan and I lived there for 2 years. I really enjoyed living there, and I was wondering if anyone knew if it would be practical to believe that I could find a job in Japan when I graduate or after I have some working experience here. I know that to get any time of licensure there is very difficult, but if I am an American CPA, is there a good chance of finding work there? I imagine that financial regulations are different in Japan, but if there are American firms located there, would they function under American financial regulations? Also, I speak/read Japanese, so that may help too. Any feedback is much appreciated, thanks!

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Based on my experience of working with Big4 firms my opinion

If you have an American CPA and some experience with a big 4 accountancy firm and know Japanese, it might as well work out. Big4 accountancy firms usually look out for people with transferable skills and local language skills. Japan has got its own GAAP but a number of Japanese companies are also listed on US Stock Exchanges hence US GAAP conversion work.

You may want to speak to some one working in Japanese firm.

- Toronto_Boy - 02-23-2009

Dear kushmirc1

If subsidiaries of US parents are operating in Japan and parent company is a publically traded company i.e. stocks are being traded on NY stock exchange then parent is required to satisfy all requirements of SEC including audit by CPAs and translation of F/S. So here come the requirements of Japanies person educated/trained and qualified CPA in States. I found many Japanies candidates appear for CPA exams due to same reasons you mentioned.

You can find many candidates of CPA from Japan at the following forum who can answer your querries that would be more relevant in your scenario.

http//www.cpanet.com/

I hope it helps.

Regards

- kushmirc - 02-26-2009

Thank you pracs and torontoboy, I appreciate the responses very much. Yeah, I had heard from other people too about Japanese accountants with some english abililty getting their US CPA certification. I hope the number of them is not so great as to make someone like me totally irrelevant. I posted on the site that you mentioned, no replies yet, but I'll keep asking around. I'm thinking of emailing some professors at schools that teach courses in international accounting. thanks again,

- Toronto_Boy - 02-26-2009

Dear

Search cpanet forum with key words like CPA Japan candidate etc. You would get historical posts there. Personally, I think, you have good prospects for jobs after MS in Accounting and CPA. It also depends upon trade volume between two countries and multinational companies having business in said countries.

Regards