Accountancy Forum
UAE - Market Situation - Printable Version

+- Accountancy Forum (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum)
+-- Forum: The Profession (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Career (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: UAE - Market Situation (/showthread.php?tid=5457)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

- Toronto_Boy - 03-22-2009

Dear sumairalam

I am 100% sure that you did not say think tank to anyone here, but you were simply joking that material cannot be referred in (imaginary) think tank MEETINGS. Same way, I was also joking about your meetings, and replied to you that because I am not a think tank, you may ignore my assumptions, and your (imaginary) think tanks in their MEETINGS would not consider my posts because they would already know this stuff. It was simply an exchange of some humorous words between two forum members. Now, if some other members are too sensitive that they think even humorous words are indirectly directed toward them, then what can I say.

For convenience of all I repeat these. You wrote, “I request is to do not put any comment or para in your notes that based on assumption. Quality of the posts are effected with these and then it is not possible to refer it in core think tank meetings.” I replied, “Dear sumairalam; I assure you that I am not a think tank, but simply a student of financial studies, so you may ignore my assumptions. The problem with economics is, we have to make assumptions to create a contrast to understand working of any specific economy. “ and in other post, “Dear Sumairalam; Don’t worry about your think tanks. They already know all this stuff. Probably, my posts and assumptions would not have much value for them. “

I hope, if members would read my replies with cool mind and open heart, they would realize that I was not pointing out anyone even indirectly on this forum.

Regards

Dear Readers

Creating confusion for copy/pasting of copyrighted material and suggestion for “not poking nose in unrelated affair” is nothing but an attempt to provide ground to fragile actions. To avoid further conflict, I don’t wanna go at length at this time. However, following links may help readers to understand what "Online Plagiarism, Copyright Infringement, and Piracy" is.

http//en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plagiarism

http//en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright_infringement

Moreover, talk about calmness and suggestion to stop “poking nose” are incompatible.

Regards

- rabia-k - 03-22-2009

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, san" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by sumairalam</i>
<br />Dear Kamran ,

I didnt say Think Tank to any of the members ( I apologize if it felt like that).

For info, I am working in company comes under Government of Ras Al Khaimah, UAE.

I am also involved in various NGO type projects in UAE.

On education side , I am doing ACCA ,and CA from Pakistan .

Best Regards

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
Sir if you dont mind , can i ask you from which institute are you taking ACCA tuitions from?

- sumairalam - 03-22-2009

No , I am not taking tution , or you can say not started yet, as I mentioned in another thread,I got exemption upto 8 papers from ACCA and my next attempt is in Dec09.

Best Regards

Dear Toronto_Boy,

Your post is so correct that I have no objection that you addressed to me but neither I know about Dr. Kurt and nor I say anything about copy pasting, although this copy / pasting is highly acceptable in examinatiion.

Keep it up! Good work.

Best Regards

- Toronto_Boy - 03-22-2009

Dear sumairalam

You wrote, "...although this copy / pasting is highly acceptable in examinatiion."

I would be obliged to know about the examination and name of the association or institution (which conducts that examination) you are talking about.

Please accept my thanks in advance for such input.

Best Regards

- CFANerd - 03-22-2009

My take on all the posts above. It's all DUBAIs fault. Its my way of blaming one thing or another to divert attention from the real issue, that way no one will think of what someone said and consequently no one will be hurt. Next time if there is any contention, just blame it on just anything. This is a PROVEN technique. I think TORONTOBOY specifically knows what I am talking about. [)]\
KamranACCA, chal yar chor day Sumair ko? Kya bachay ki jaan lo gay?[Wink]
I just inferred from all of members' recent posts that you were not happy about some TANKS[)] Since when there have been TANKS that can THINK? Sorry I have been too busy watching AMERICAN IDOL. [D]

Thanks for all your introduction. Wah bhai, you all are Mashallah very qualified and well placed people. Godspeed.
I think I should also introduce myself just in case you missed some of my threads which were simply in a poor taste. I am an MBA from a no-tier B-school, which in simple words of employers means SOD OFF. Had no real job in my whole life. Still failed to get a job even after two years since graduation. Now thinking of going for CFA which I think I wont be able to make it. I think alot must be obvious from how bad my grammar is and how i fail to comprehend most of the content in your posts.
i BLAME it all on genetically modified food. [)]

- CFANerd - 03-22-2009

Seriously, leaving whatever effects genetically modified food had on the development of my brain, whats the problem here? Cant we coexist peacefully?[8D]

I have a perfect title for this fight "BATTLE OF ACCOUNTING TITANS" or ACCOUNTANTS' CHAINSAW MASSACRE.

okay with all seriousness, there is nothing wrong with copy/pasting and whoever came up with the idea of THINK TANK is so damn genious. I mean look at all of us, do we by any standards fit into the definition of a think tank? Why you want to get us blinfolded and get shot by real think tanks? [)]
Like I mentioned before, everything is okay in this post regarding copy/pasting and I truly know the intention of Dr. Kurt article was just to give our discussion a specific direction because we all were basically BSing. KamranACCA anger is justified and so is TORONTOBOY and Sumair Bhais objection. But cant we find a middle ground? May be we can bribe each other to keep our eyes shut and keep discussion rolling.

- CFANerd - 03-22-2009

I am waiting from all of you to start the discussion on Dr. Kurts article and distort it with our goofy economic analysis. Let me know when you are ready.

Dear Members,

Please find herewith some of the economic key indicators for Dubai (Only)

Jan-09 2008 2007 Units Comments

TOURISM
Passenger Traffic 3.3M 37.4M 34.3M NUMBERS Increase in Passenger handling in Jan 2009 ( Jan 2008 3.11M)
Air Cargo N/A 1.8M 1.6M TONNES
Hotel Occupancy 81% 79% 84%
Feb09= 91% only for 5Star beach Hotels
Guests N/A 6.99m 6.95m Numbers
Revenue N/A 15.25b 13.26B AED Dirham

TRADE
Non-Oil N/A 934.7B 678.5B AED Dirham
TEU(20' Container) N/A 46.8M 43M In TEU Units

Jan-09 Oct- Oct-
Dec2008 Dec2007
BUSINESS
NEW LICENSES 429* 3503 3387 Upto Jan 15 2009
CANCELLATION 313 377 Upto Jan 15 2009

Jan- Jan-
March2009* March2008

Land Transaction'in Nos 500 1500 Deals*upto 20March09
Land Transaction'In AED 3.0B 20.0B Deals*upto 20March09

2009 2008
CONSTRUCTION
completed Units
Actual 2728 units
Estimated 11000Units
Expected to deliver 57000Units
in 2009

Delayed /
canceled Project $75Billion SourceHSBC
In % 60%

Best Regards

Sorry I try my level best to present it in proper manner , but everytime it mingles.

- CFANerd - 03-23-2009

are these economic indicators?

- sumairalam - 03-23-2009

I will try to re-arrange the data.

TOURISM
Passenger Traffic

Jan 2009 3.3M passengers (Jan 2008 3.11M))
2008 37.4M
2007 34.3M

Hotel Occupancy
Feb09= 91% only for 5Star beach Hotels
Jan09 81%
2008 79%
2007 84%

No. of Guests
Jan09 N/A
2008 6.99m
2007 6.95m

Revenuein billion Dirham
Jan09 N/A
2008 15.25b
2007 13.26B

TRADE
Non-Oil Foreign Trade in Billion Dirham
Jan09 N/A
2008 934.7B
2007 678.5B

Container Handling 20'In TEU Units
Jan2009N/A
2008 46.8M
200743M

Air Cargo
Jan 2009 N/A
2008 1.8M TONNES
2007 1.6M Tonnes

BUSINESS
New License Issued

Jan 2009 429* Upto Jan 15 2009
Oct-Dec2008 3503
Oct-Dec2007 3387

Licence Cancellation
Oct-Dec2008 313
Oct-Dec2007 377

Jan- Jan-
March2009* March2008

Land Transaction'in Nos
Jan-March2009 500 (upto 20March2009)
Jan-March2008 1500

Land Transaction'In Billion AED
Jan-March2009 3B (upto 20March2009)
Jan-March2008 20B

- sumairalam - 03-23-2009

Dear Toronto_Boy,

In every examination where you have to memorize the course books by heart to pass the exam papers, copy/pasting concept is applied. Copy from Book through your mind and paste it in the answer sheet through you pen. and pass the exam.

- kamranACA - 03-24-2009

Dears,

The important point was how can one assume that the poster must have been missing the authorization to paste such article. I mean even if some one does not have, others have no ground to say so with that level of intensity and certainty which we witnessed.

Off course no one here is aggreived of any such act. Refelection of pain is oblivious of factual grounds.

CFANerd, if there will be some thing to discuss, I will join you.

Regards,

KAMRAN.

- kamranACA - 03-24-2009

Dears,

I received a story through an e-mail which I wanted to share. I hope this may not affect the copyright sentiments of our brothers. This goes

This story is about a man who, once upon a time, was selling “wada-pav” by the roadside.

He was illiterate, so he never read newspapers.
He was hard of hearing, so he never listened to the radio.
His eyes were weak, so he never watched television.
But enthusiastically, he sold lots of “wada-pavs”.
He was smart enough to offer some attractive schemes to increase his sales.
His sales and profit went up…
He ordered more a more raw material and buns and his sales increased.
He recruited more supporting staff to serve more customers.
He started offering home delivery. Eventually, he got himself a bigger and better stove.
As his business was growing, the son, who had recently graduated from College, joined his father.
Then something strange happened.
The son asked, “Dad, aren’t you aware of the great recession that is coming our way?”
The father replied, “No, but tell me about it.”
The son said, “The international situation is terrible. The domestic situation is even worse. We should be prepared for the coming bad times.”
The man thought that since his son had been to college, read the papers, listened to the radio and watched TV, he ought to know and his advice should not be taken lightly.
So, the next day onwards, the father cut down his raw material order and buns, took down the colourful signboard, deiscontinued all the special schemes he was offering to customers and was no longer as enthusiastic about anything.
He reduced his staff strength by giving layoffs.
Very soon, fewer and fewer people bothered to stop at his “wada-pav” stand.
And his sales started coming down rapidly, as did the profit.
The father said to his son, “Son, you were right. We are in the middle of a recession and crisis. I am glad you warned me ahead of time.”
Moral of The Story
It’s all in your MIND! And we actually FUEL this recession much more than we think we do!
What can we learn from this story?
1. Do not confuse intelligence with good judgment.
2. Choose your advisors carefully but use your own judgment.
3. A person or an organization will survive forever, if they have the 5 Cs
• Character
• Commitment
• Conviction
• Courtesy
• Courage
The tragedy today is that there are many walking encyclopedias who are living failures.
The more practical and appropriate views on this economic recession is
“This is the time to regroup for any small or a big organization, this is the time to motivate and retain people, which are the biggest asset, this is the time to show more commitment to customers, this is the time to show the ethos and values of your company to the world and this is the time to stand by the Nation”.

UNQUOTE

Regards,

KAMRAN.