Accountancy Forum
CPA Procedure/Information - Printable Version

+- Accountancy Forum (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum)
+-- Forum: The Profession (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Firms (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: CPA Procedure/Information (/showthread.php?tid=6042)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

- AD ACCOUNTS - 12-25-2009

MR MAQSOOD KHAN ,SIR another potential question regarding CPA EXAMS ELEGIBILITY , ACCA have many study routes through which a student can pursue the ACCA studies one of them is MATURE STUDENT ENTRY ROUTE (MSER ROUTE) according to this route any person wishing to start acca can get on with the studies and no qualification is required just the person should be 21 years of age or older is the basic requirement , I want to know that the person who had opted MSER route and had completed his/her ACCA can be elegiable for CPA EXAM EVALUATION as well as would he/she be accepeted for CPA EXAMS .
THANK YOU
REGARDS.

- maqszaman - 12-26-2009

Hi AD,

There is no other ways but to acquire required credit hours from an accredited institution/university. However, there is only one state that doesn’t require 120/150 credit hours. Delaware State requires 21 semester hours of accounting, auditing or federal taxation. They also need one year experience in an auditing firm.

Different States have different rules for experience. You should check the website of State Board of your choice.

I have no idea about Mature Student Entry Route.

Hope answered the question,

Regards,

- Toronto_Boy - 12-26-2009

Dear Maqsood

Perhaps its my mistake to understand, however, following is the requirement of Delaware.

(1) An Associate's, Bachelor's or Master's degree and

(2) 21 hours in Accounting including at least one course in introductory, intermediate, advanced and cost accounting, auditing and federal taxation from a regionally accredited institution. On-line courses are acceptable when a candidate receives credit for the courses at a regionally accredited U.S. university. On-line courses are NOT accepted from international schools.

Source http//www.becker.com/accounting/cpaexamreview/delaware/

So, I think at-least Associate degree including 21 hrs in accounting related courses would be arround 120 hrs.

Dear AD; Just get some more courses in accounting (financial and management both), and auditing. Or some other business courses. Make sure additional courses should not be same for example intermediate accounting from 2 different universities would count once. So, courses should be different or of advance level. I don't know US tax course would be available there or not which is a MUST for Delaware. Or perhaps you may take online US Tax course offered by any accredited American university while being in Pakistan through internet. Moreover, always do other courses from HEC recognized university in Pakistan.

I hope it helps.

Regards

- maqszaman - 01-13-2010

Hi Toronto Boy & AD,

When someone says that a qualified (May be CMA, CA etc) was assessed 105 to 109 credit hours, I presumed that he at least has an associate degree. If someome is qualified ACCA, he doesn't even need evaluation for CPA exam. Anyways, thanks for clarification.

Regards,

- shani420 - 01-13-2010

Hi Maqszaman,
plz answer following question.
1) someone above said that Bcom 2 years fetch 60 to 65 credit hours.Is it true?
2) how many would Bcom(punjab) plus ACCA fetch?Wikipedia web states that ACCA fetch 126 credit hours from WES evaluator.Is it true?
3) will MA english from Pakistan fetch any credits.If yes that give a conjectural idea about them.
4) How u urself met this credit hour threshold.What degrees u had?
5)u live in Canada I guess. Aap kitny bodies k member ho.
Plz reply.Regards.

- maqszaman - 01-15-2010

ASA Shani,

I think I wrote that B.Com fetches 60 to 65 credit hours and same number of credit hours are for MA English. Please note that CPA require credit hours in Accounting, Business and general subjects.

If I am not wrong ACCA can write the CPA exam without any problem. You just need to send your membership certificate copy to respective board and you are eligible. Since I am member of two professional bodies in Pakistan on top of my Masters in Economics, and I also got some courses here in Canada, so credit hours issue, was not a problem for me. I am also member of AICPA.

Regards,

- maqszaman - 01-29-2010

Hi Everyone,

Please note that AICPA is making drstic changes in CPA exam outlines so visit www.exam-cpa.org for further updates.

I am currently onerously busy in some other stuff so I won't be able to visit this thread. You can send your specific question through e-mail.

Regards

- nomanchaudhry - 02-26-2010

Dear Maqsood

I am interested in appearing for the CPA exam. I am ACMA- Finalist (1 Paper Remaining) from the Institute of Cost & Management Accountants of Pakistan (ICMAP). In addition, I am an Associate Public Accountant (APA) from Pakistan Institute of Public Finance Accountants but my APA qualification is based on exemptions obtained on account of papers cleared from ICMAP therefore I don’t have transcripts but just the certificate. They also provide a letter stating that based on my existing qualification I meet the passing criteria of all their papers and hence exemption is granted.

Based on the above, I have two queries

1. Am I eligible to appear in the CPA exam from either Michigan or Delaware state?
2. Is it possible to send just the certificate of my APA qualification along with syllabus to the evaluator. Is it acceptable or do I need to send some other paperwork as well?

Lastly, i have a valid US visa so traveling is not an issue.

Regards
Noman A. Chaudhry

- maqszaman - 02-27-2010

Hi Noman,

Thanks for your e-mail. I have sent you this response through e-mail. For the benefit of other readers, I am updating it here too.

It is really nice to hear that you are interested in CPA exam. It is also very nice that you have a valid US visa that will help you travelling to US. Please note that the requirements of Michigan are tougher than Delaware State Board of Accountancy. Michigan State allows you to write CPA exam without complying 150 credit hours. However, you have to complete educational requirements no later than 30 calendar days after the actual date the candidate took the first exam section. Being a CMA from Pakistan, I think it is not a good choice.

Delaware is still a two tier State which is a favorite State for Pakistani accountants. It requires an associate or Baccalaureate or Graduate with 21 semester hours of accounting, auditing or federal taxation. US Taxation course is a must requirement. They also require 1 year public accounting experience for certification.

In your case, you will have to meet the requirements of Delaware State that can allow you to write CPA exam. You will not be allowed any credit hour for APA. You just can’t double dip the popcycle. You even will not be allowed for any credits in CMA which you got exempted on the basis of B.Com. Once you complete your CMA from Pakistan get a certificate from HEC of Pakistan and send your documents for evaluation to FACS. The link of the evaluator is http//www.facsusa.com/. Meanwhile, you should complete your US taxation course which is available online.

I hope you will be eligible for writing your CPA exam from Delaware State. Please also note that you should also get 1 year public accounting experience too (If I am not wrong).

Regards,

- Dard - 02-27-2010

How many credit hours does ACCA get?

- Toronto_Boy - 02-27-2010

Dear Noman

I am very pleased that you wanna study for CPA (AICPA). But, I think you would have to do some planning and ground work. Unless a candidate for CPA (AICPA) is a member of Canadian CA, Australian CA and CPA, New Zealand CA, ICAI (Ireland), and Mexican Accounting body, he/she would have to satisfy some requirements. These requirements are (1) Degree Requirement; from acceptable accredited college or university (2) 120/150 accredited credit hour (taken from accredited college or university) requirement INCLUDING specific number of business and accounting courses requirement, just to be eligible to write 4 CPA exams (3) Writing four CPA exams which are being conducted only within USA till date. So, till date a candidate MUST have to go there to appear in CPA exams (4) Acceptable Experience Requirement It depends whether a candidate needs “Certificate” only or “License”. States which offers both are 2 tier States. Only some States are 2 tier (perhaps around 6, but I am not confirmed). Otherwise, if a State is not a 2 tier State, then most likely it would need “Acceptable Experience” to award a “certificate or license”. (5) Residency (in States) or Social Security Number (SSN) Requirement. (6) CPD hours requirement to maintain status of “certificate or license” later on.

All above requirements vary State to State, so one must have to find a State for which that candidate could satisfy ALL requirements. If he/she could not satisfy all requirements then he/she would not have “certificate or license” at the end, and whole exercise becomes fruitless. So, finding a State as per its requirements and candidate’s personal situation and “matching” the two is a “major hurdle”.

One very important point which I wanna explain here based on my experience is that, without hurting anyone’s feelings, State Boards of Accountings and their “evaluators” DO NOT accept courses directly taken from associations with which AICPA does not have MRA. I have mentioned above that till date AICPA has MRA only with few associations. Therefore, unfortunately it does not accept courses taken directly from CIMA, ICAEW, ICAP, or ICMAP etc. Till few months back ACCA was accepted to Colorado Board (for both educational and license requirements) but now Colorado Board of Accounting has changed its policy. So, evaluators for different States do not accept courses directly taken from ANY of associations with which that specific State Board of Accounting or AICPA does not have MRA.

However, AICPA accepts degrees and courses taken from accredited colleges or universities from all over the world. Thus, State evaluators would accept courses taken from Karachi University, Punjab University, Khairpur University, Baha Uddin University and other accredited colleges/universities, but unfortunately would not accept courses directly taken from ICMAP/ICAP or APA. So, APA achieved through exemptions is not an issue, because simply AICPA does not have MRA with APA or ICMAP/ICAP.

So, your BCom and its courses from Karachi University would be most likely acceptable, BUT would be SHORT in number of credit hours. So, you would have to do at-least bridging courses, even if your BCom is accepted equivalent to required degree (i.e. degree requirement above) of specific State of your choice. However, if that State (of your choice) did not accept length of your BCom degree then you would have to do another accredited “bridging” degree too like one or two year Master degree etc.

Some times satisfying experience requirement can also be a hurdle. Generally States want public accounting experience under licensed CPA (or under CA of association with which AICPA has MRA), however some States also accept industry experience. Now, some candidate opt a State which accepts industry experience but might not be able to satisfy residency or Social Security Number (SSN) requirement if that State requires SSN.

I am providing some important weblinks for your further search. You must need to visit following websites frequently.

http//www.cpanet.com/cpa_forum/default.asp

http//www.nasba.org/nasbaweb/NASBAWeb.nsf/WPHP?OpenForm NASBA conducts CPA exams for ALL Boards of Accounting

http//www.aicpa.org/yellow/ypsboa.htm Links to all Boards of Accounting and their requirements

http//www.becker.com/accounting/cpaexamreview/michigan/ Becker is the best but most expensive course material provider. Click on right hand top corner on “Choose a State” to have a quick look at requirements of any specific State and to find State of your choice.

http//www.prometric.com/CPA/default.htm Prometric website to book CPA exams.

http//www.facsusa.com/ This is one of the 5 or 6 acceptable “evaluator” organization, who would evaluate degrees and marksheets as per requirements of State of your choice. Evaluator would let you know whether you are eligible to sit for exam or not.

I hope it helps.

Best Wishes

Dear Noman and Maqsood Bhai

Yes, Delaware is 2 tier State, i.e. offers "Certificate" or "License". To have practice "license", it requires experience under licensed CPA. Following are detailed rules.

http//regulations.delaware.gov/AdminCode/title24/100.shtml

Moreover, though I am forgetting details now whether it is Delaware or some other State, which does not accept "on-line" course. So, make it sure before enrolling.

Best Regards

- shani420 - 02-27-2010

Hi Toronto-boy and Maqszaman,
I have a question.As Toronto-boy told that now collorado board has stopped accepting ACCA certificates for their educational requirement , what would be the status of a 4 years BBA(hons) degree offered by Uni of central punjab(UCP).They issue the degree in following manner
1) For first 2 years they show that student has got credit on the basis of ACCA(first 9 papers)
2)then student submit a thesis which has credits
3)for last 2 years they show that student has passed 20 papers in various subjects.They take a test comprising of 20 Mcqs for each of these 20 papers(400 mcqs in total.All taken in one exam sitting though).
They issue a 120 odd C HOUR degree.(though evaluation credit might be different)
Now my question is whether this full degree or last 2 years credit would be acceptable OR there is no chance?
Secondly they also give MBA to ACCA.(credit for final 5 acca papers and few exam actually taken for MBA).What would be ur thougts regarding its acceptance?
My last question is whether a degree (MA economics from Punjab uni) earned as a private (external) candidate after Bcom be accepted for CPA evaluation purpose or not?
Though these questiom may look a bit odd(as u r not evaluators) but I just want ur view.
Regards.

Dear Shani

First of all, I am not an evaluator, so don't take my words as final. Moreover, I don't know the status of UCP in Pakistan whether it is HEC/ UGC (former University Grants Commission) approved or not. Students MUST always go for HEC approved institutions to avoid problems later.

Most likely courses of first 2 years would not be acceptable. Perhaps courses of last 2 years might be acceptable cuz final exam (MCQs) was taken. But personally speaking, if evaluator would know that all 400 MCQs were taken in one sitting for several courses, he would not accept.

Most likely UCP's both under graduate and MBA courses would not be acceptable for CPA or even for Canadian immigration.

Private MA Economics degree and courses can be acceptable for CPA exams, but may not be acceptable for Canadian immigration.

Rather than above options, I would say in addition to ACCA, students may get admission in any college (affiliated with university like Karachi university or Punjab University) for BCom and pass exams and later do part-time (evening) but any regualar, in-class, and relevant Master degree. Though this is a little hectic/long, but most secure way.

Regards

- shani420 - 02-27-2010

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, san" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by tariqsohail</i>
<br />Mr.Maqsood,

Thanks & Agreed...very true actual issue is 150 credit hours. Even an ACMA after B.Com from pakistan can fetch only 144-149 (60-65 graduation & 84 ACMA) credit hours maximum according to WES evaluation and 123-128 (60-65 graduation & 63 ACMA) credit hours according to Josef Silny evlauation.

I am mentioing these points on the basis of recent evaluation made by both evaluators.

I know Delaware state accepting Associate degree holder for CPA exam if someone clear Fed. Tax paper (assignments). But according to your above post I am not clear that whether Delaware state accepting any graduate from Pakistan (2 years) with Fed. Tax paper or not. Because a graduate from Pakistan (2 years) will only able to get 60-65 credit hours.

Regards,
Sohail
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
@Toronto-boy,
U said that Icmap/Icap/acca(not having MRA with AICPA) exams r not considered for evaluation but Tariq is quoting Credit hours for ACMAs.I am a bit confused (rather I have misunderstood).Plz explain the actual scenerio.