Accountancy Forum
CPA Procedure/Information - Printable Version

+- Accountancy Forum (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum)
+-- Forum: The Profession (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Firms (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: CPA Procedure/Information (/showthread.php?tid=6042)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

- Greatkhans - 02-27-2010

Hi Shani,

I think Toronto_Boy means that any addition course or certification from ACCA/CMA/CA/CIMA etc. You will get your credit hours for your regular cources. As ICMAP unedr 1974 syllabus fetches 36 credit hours, ACCA somewhat 120-126 etc. I hope this will remove your confusion. Don't worry about yourself.

Regards,

GREAT KHANS

- shani420 - 02-27-2010

Thanks Greatkhans,
Now I have got the point.
Regards.

- Toronto_Boy - 02-27-2010

Dear Shani

Yes generally speaking, HEC recognized 4 year length of schooling (i.e.any combination of graduation and masters) after FSc/FA/ICom (i.e. grade 12) is equivalent to 120 credit hours.

I depends upon what kind of business degree which can provide maximum acceptable courses. In my view, BCom with MCom or MBA can provide best mix of required course (which varies State to State requirement). You know that 150/120 credit hours is one requirement. Then under this 120/150 credit hours, there is further requirement that out of these 120/150 hours lets say 36 credit hours (varies State to State) should be comprised of 4 areas i.e. (1) Financial Accounting (Basic/Intermediate/Advance) (2) Management Accounting (3) Auditing (4) Taxation.

So, I think your degrees would be acceptable for at-least 120 credit hours (if total length of degrees are 4 years), but you would have to take additional separate courses to reach to 150 credit hours or to satisfy specific accounting courses hours.

I hope it helps.

Regards

- Toronto_Boy - 02-27-2010

Dear Shani

I know its very complex, each Board has its own and unique requirements. Almost everyone finds this requirement thing quite complex, including myself.

You can see from Tariq's post, even their different evaluators have different evaluations for same qualification. So, no one can say with 100% surety unless he/she has credit evaluation letter in hand.

Sorry buddy...its just like that.

Regards

- shani420 - 02-27-2010

Thanks toronto-boy,
I have got ur point.So bottomline is that ACCA+BCOM+MASTERS would take me close to this credit hour threshold.
Thanks for ur help.

- Dard - 02-27-2010

Dear knowledgeable person,
If a person is ACCA member then what criteria must he/she meet for taking CPA US exams? Thank you

- nomanchaudhry - 02-28-2010

@ toronto boy I have a b.sc. Degree before ICMAP. My majors were maths. Statistics & computer science. Any idea how many credit hours is that worth, if anything? Under the circumstances, Delaware sounds Like choice worth trying for, if I can qualify after taking American tax course. Do they accept courses completed from icma, any idea? Though I don't have public accounting experience, only industry experience. Are there any credits for experience?

- Toronto_Boy - 02-28-2010

Dear Noman

There are about 50 or 52 State Boards of Accounting with unique requirements, then there are about 6 external evaluation firms with different evaluators. Then there are each Boards internal evaluators too. So, to me its very difficult to say something about evaluation of someone's credit hours. All I can say is our Pakistani colleges and university education (HEC recognized) is generally acceptable to evaluators. But which course they would accept and which one not, is difficult for me to say.

The best way is to match courses by yourself, and then send for 2 or 3 States of your choice for evaluation, after shortlisting.

As I said earlier, Delaware is 2 tier State, if you do not have acceptable public accounting experience then you can get "certificate" only, but it would not be a "permit" or "license" to practice. But again there is a point that an out of State does not need a "license" to practice if he is not living or practicing in that State. So, "certificate" can be enough sometimes for out of State candidate for industry related job purposes.

Dear you would have to do some research and check detailed rules/ requirements through weblinks I have provided above. I am sorry I could not help you much here.

Just one thing I wanna tell here is that, after you get your evaluation and select a State, and you wanna do courses which are deficient, MAKE SURE if you are taking on-line courses, whether on-line course are acceptable to that State or not.

Best Regards

- nomanchaudhry - 03-01-2010

@ Toronto Boy I found the following details for California on Beckers website. can u advice whether i qualify

Education requirements Residency requirements
150 Semester Hours Required to Sit for the Exam? No U.S. Citizenship Required No
Minimum Degree Required Baccalaureate Applicant must be a resident, employee, OR have office in the state? No
Other
Other

Additional Educational Requirements
•24 semester units in accounting (educational requirements vary, contact State Board for specific details) and
•24 semester units in business-related courses (educational requirements vary, contact State Board for details)
Age requirements
Age Minimum None

Note The requirements shown relate specifically to "applying for" and "taking" the exam. Additional requirements may be in effect relating to "certification" and "licensing", Please contact the appropriate state board for "certification" and "licensing" requirements.

- zubair_sco78 - 03-01-2010

Dear All,

Delaware is no more longer two tier state after Jan 1, 2006.You are now required to complete the dual application for a license and certficate at the same time. Therefore, if you do not qualify for the license you won't get a certificate either.

After passing all four examinations, can we transfer our credits to any other two tier state so, we can get atleast certificate after passing these papers?

Regards,
Zubair

- Toronto_Boy - 03-02-2010

Dear Noman/ Zubair

Requirements to appear in exam are one thing, but sometimes requirements are more stringent to have "certificate" or "license". So, Noman please check "certificate" or "license" requirement otherwise you would have to transfer exam credits to some other State after passing 4 exams. <b>Exam credit transfer is usually allowed by the Board to which credit are being transfered, but usually the new Board reviews application for "certificate" or "license" in the light of applicable rules when the candidate took exam.</b> It means that candidate must have to satisfy applicable rules of new Board which were in effect when the candidate took exams from previous Board.

Noman; I don't know more detailed rules of California Board. Perhaps someone else can explain you more. Further, I would suggest to both of you to use CPANET.com more as candidates there discuss rules of each Board in detail.

Noman; Please use list of Boards I have provided above and check detailed rules for "certificate" and "license". Also, see at following link at page 5 regarding Social Security Number (SSN) requirement for "license" which is mandatory. SSN is like Pakistani Identity Card number. If you have SSN then you may proceed with California provided you satisfy all other requirements too.

http//www.dca.ca.gov/cba/publications/applbook.pdf

Guys as I wrote above exam taking requirements could be easier as compared to requirement for "certificate" or "license". A candidate should at-least aim for "certificate" if not "license" after passing all 4 exam. Dears, remember Becker is a course material provider which interest is to sell material for exam and to attract candidates to take exam. What happens to them after passing exam is not Becker's problem. But from candidate's point of view, what is the benefit if he/she could not at-least get a "certificate" at the end.

Dears, pay attention to following NOTE on Becker's web pages for State search.

"Note The requirements shown relate specifically to "applying for" and "taking" the exam. Additional requirements may be in effect relating to "certification" and "licensing", Please contact the appropriate state board for "certification" and "licensing" requirements."

I hope it helps.

Regards

- maqszaman - 03-02-2010

Hi Noman,

I have already responded to you via e-mail. However, I want to update this thread for the benefit of other students. California State Board is one of the most stringent states. It allows candidates to write CPA exam but you won't be able to get your license until you complete 150 credit hours requirement. Please note that "Resident" does not mean resident of US, but resident of the state. You might be resident of US without being citizen of the USA. It is one tier state. California State requires a Social Security Number to issue a license.

In addition to that California requires you to pass a very detailed Ethics exam. Ethic exam is compulsory in all states but its exam is most difficult. It does not accept Ethics exam conducted by AICPA. It has its own exam.

Thanks,

- zubair_sco78 - 03-02-2010

Dear Toronto Boy,
You mean that we can transfer our credits from Delaware state to some other two tier state only if we meet the registeation as well as exam taking criteria of the state.

Please correct me if i am wrong.

You are absolutely right that just passing the exam is nothing but one should have atleast certificate.

Regards,
Zubair

- nomanchaudhry - 03-02-2010

I got this reply from one of the NASBA coordinators any comments!!

Hello Noman,

I am not sure how your education would transfer to U.S education. However two states that I think are a possibility are Maine and Vermont. You will need to get a foreign evaluation done of your education. Any NACES member would be okay for a foreign evaluation. Once this is completed you will be able to have a better idea of how you meet the criteria for each state.

Best Regards,

Kyle Barrier
Examination Coordinator, State Board Liaison (UT & VT)
- - - - - - - - - -
National Association of State Boards of
Accountancy (NASBA)
150 Fourth Avenue North, Suite 700
Nashville, TN 37219

- nomanchaudhry - 03-02-2010

The requirements for Maine are
EDUCATION

Initial (and transfer) applicants must
•Be of good character and reputation; and
•Earned at least a baccalaureate or higher degree conferred by a college or university acceptable to the Board.

NOTE All candidates shall be required to meet the 150 semester hour educational requirement to obtain a CPA License in the State of Maine.

Educational requirements must be met within 120 days following the actual date the candidate took his/her first test section.

Official transcripts and/or Certificate of Enrollment must be submitted to CPA Examination Services at the time of application.

Candidates with foreign educational credentials must have their credentials evaluated by Foreign Academic Credential Services, Inc. Completed evaluations must be received by CPA Examination at the time of application.

Foreign Academic Credentials Service, Inc.
P.O. Box 400, Glen Carbon, IL 62034
(618) 656-5291, fax (618) 656-5292
www.facsusa.com
__________________________________________________________________________________
the criteria for Vermont is

EDUCATION

Effective August 7, 2009, all applicants are required to meet the following;
be of good moral character; and
have earned a minimum of 120 semester hours of general college level education with 30 semester hours in
accounting and business including
• 6 semester (9 quarter) hours of financial and/or managerial accounting (excluding Introductory Accounting)
• 3 semester (4.5 quarter) hours of auditing,
• 3 semester (4.5 quarter) hours of US taxation,
• 3 semester (4.5 quarter) hours of US business law,

All official transcripts, Certificate of Enrollments and/or Foreign evaluations must be submitted to CPA Examination Services at the time of application.

COURSE REQUIREMENTS

• Photocopies of transcripts are not acceptable. “Issued to Student” transcripts are acceptable if received in a
sealed envelope.
• Education earned at a regionally accredited community college or 2-yr degree granting institution are acceptable.
• Official school transcripts with “in progress” courses listed are acceptable in lieu of Certificate of Enrollment.
• All courses earned must qualify for college credit at a two-year or four-year institution accredited by one of the six regional accrediting bodies (Middle State, New England, North Central, Northwest, Southern, and Western).
• Correspondence, CLEP credit, CPA Review courses and on-line courses are acceptable when an applicant receives credit for the courses at a regionally accredited college or university. These courses must appear on an official transcript.

EFFECTIVE AUG 23, 2004
All candidates, first-time and re-examination, must provide documentation that they have completed U.S. Taxation and U.S. Business Law in order to sit for the examination.