Accountancy Forum
CPA Procedure/Information - Printable Version

+- Accountancy Forum (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum)
+-- Forum: The Profession (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Firms (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: CPA Procedure/Information (/showthread.php?tid=6042)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

- AashM - 07-17-2010

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, san" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by nomanchaudhry</i>
<br />if u apply to delaware then bcom+US tax exam should be sufficient.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"> Hi, my husband has done his Bcom from Karachi University. Now, He's planning to move to California soon and wanna sit for CPA exam but not sure if his BCom degree that he got from Pakistan would be acceptable for CPA exam. Can someone please provide me with more detailed information for California CPA exam for International Students?
I am wondering if he's gonna have to do his Bachlor's in Accounting from california again or he would just evaluate his Bcom degree(from KU) and be able to sit for California CPA exam?

- hadeedian - 07-22-2010

How many credit hours are available to CFA to write CPA exams? It would be my pleasure if any one can tell on level basis, i mean how many credit hours level 1 , level 2 and level 3 of CFA can fetch?
Regards

- nomanchaudhry - 08-09-2010

@ Aash. I m afraid he might not be able to fulfill all the requirements to sit for exam in california. b.com is worth only 60 credit hours. the only option in my humble view is to appear in exam from delaware state after passing US tax exam as its mandatory requirement for Delaware. u can find further information http//www.dca.ca.gov/cba/publications/exambk1.pdf

- nomanchaudhry - 09-24-2010

Hi, i got the following email from a course provider. would anybdy be able to elaborate what does she mean by relaxation in requirement....

Dear noman,
I am contacting you to follow up with our previous correspondence regarding the U.S. Certified Public Accounting desgination. As you may recall, my speciality is in helping to determine your eligibility to sit for the CPA exam. If eligible, I can then assist you through the application process.
Recently, there have been several positive changes in state eligibility regulations and they may affect you!
If you are still interested in pursuing the U.S. CPA designation, it will be important for you to find out if this updated information applies to you (please note that in many cases there will be no changes but for some candidates it may be quite dramatic).
If you would like to find out if these new rules affect your status, please contact me by return e-mail. I will then look up your file and let you know if your eligibility will be affected and advise you accordingly.
To Find Out If These Recent Changes Affect Your Status,
Email Me la.rogers@cpaexcel.com

- Toronto_Boy - 09-26-2010

Hi noman

I could not find relaxation in requirements you are asking about, in her email. However, she is talking about "several positive changes in state eligibility regulations".

Changes in rules/requirements happen all the time. They may or may not effect a particular candidate such as you, as she has mentioned in 2nd para. I think, there is no harm in asking her if those changes could be +ve in your case.

Good Luck

- Ebon - 10-07-2010

Hey...what are the requirements for CPA in Virginia?

- nomanchaudhry - 10-08-2010

check on nasba website

- Ebon - 10-11-2010

Which bachelors degree do I have to complete to be eligible for CPA??

- maqszaman - 10-19-2010

Hi Everyone,

There is a great news for those who want to do CPA. AICPA is planning to open five new center for examination. Please read below

CPA Exam Offered in Five International Locations Next Year

By ALEXANDRA DEFELICE
OCTOBER 17, 2010
The Uniform CPA Examination will be offered in Japan, Bahrain, Kuwait, Lebanon and the United Arab Emirates in 2011, marking the first time in the exam’s history that it will be offered outside the 55 U.S. jurisdictions.

The three organizations that jointly offer the CPA Examination in the United States—the AICPA, National Association of State Boards of Accountancy (NASBA) and Prometric––announced Sunday that they have reached agreement to administer the exam in those international locations.

The exam offered internationally will be the same as that offered in the U.S. It will be administered in English using the same computerized format.

As in the U.S., the examination will serve to qualify individuals for licensure as a CPA through U.S. state boards of accountancy.

“Candidates for licensure as U.S. CPAs reside all over the world, but at present, they must travel to the U.S. to take the CPA Exam,” AICPA President and CEO Barry Melancon said in a statement. “International administrations are being offered as a service to them and to other international candidates who wish to seek CPA licensure.”

The Uniform CPA Exam is already administered routinely to foreign nationals who take the test in the U.S., U.S. Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico and Guam.

“Since a growing number of CPA candidates reside in other countries, the time has come to manage the overall process of international candidates in a more effective manner,” NASBA President and CEO David Costello said.

The CPA Examination consists of four sections Auditing and Attestation; Financial Accounting and Reporting; Regulation; and Business Environment and Concepts. The combined testing time for the four sections is 14 hours.

The CPA Examination employs a combination of question formats. It includes the traditional multiple-choice questions and essays, as well as simulations–questions that replicate workplace situations and require the application of knowledge and skills to arrive at solutions.

In its nearly 100-year history, the Uniform CPA Examination has undergone many changes. Until the end of 2003, it was a paper-and-pencil examination administered twice each year. In April 2004, a computer-based exam was launched and the paper-and-pencil examination was discontinued. The computer-based CPA Examination achieved its millionth administration in 2009.

Currently, the CPA exam is undergoing its largest overhaul since moving from paper and pencil to computers. Jan. 1, 2011, will mark the launch of CBT-e (Computer-Based Testing evolution). New Content and Skill Specification Outlines (CSOs/SSOs) will take effect, and the exam will introduce new question formats and a new release of authoritative literature—the FASB Accounting Standards Codification. Other changes include a new section structure, section time allocations and weighted value of each component. Scoring will place more emphasis on skills, and a new calculator and improved spreadsheets are being developed.

IFRS will make its way onto the exam for the first time in 2011. This addition was based on research that found an increasing number of entry-level CPAs need to be familiar with IFRS for a variety of reasons, including preparing financial reports for companies in the U.S. that are owned by foreign IFRS entities; working for U.S. companies that own foreign entities reporting in IFRS and needing to convert IFRS financials into U.S. GAAP; and auditing companies or subsidiaries that report in IFRS.

More information on the exam’s changes, including a chart providing a detailed breakdown of the exam’s Content Specification Outlines, is available in the JofA’s May 2010 article, “CPA Exam to Undergo an Evolution.”

I hope many of our student will take advantage of this opportunity.

Regards,

- fidarsi - 10-22-2010

Salaam

I am CA from Pakistan. Can anyone please guide me which state I should choose?

- nomanchaudhry - 10-26-2010

michigan OR colarado in order of priority

- nomanchaudhry - 10-27-2010

@maqszaman can u guide whether the process of meeting state eligibility criteria has changed as well or is it the same? just that we can take the papers outside US and everything else remains same?

- Jaggydee - 12-27-2010

Hi, Tronto Boy. I'm a B.com from Punjab University Hailey College 2 year and CA inter and module E qualified from ICAP and of course articles completed from E&Y Lahore and currently working for BDO Saudi Arabia. I am interested in applying to California board for CPA exam. U think will i be able to satisfy there education requirement or not? If not the above state then which state evaluators u think will accept my credentials. I am based in the middle east and would be appearing (if accepted by any board) from Bahrain when final announcements are made. I understand that Delaware state will accept my credentials but completing the Tax course is a headache, i have written to many recognized universities for online tax course but they are not replying back.

Awaiting your reply.

Best Regards

- asadjbr - 01-10-2011

Hi all,
I have read each and every thread on this forum and CPA net forum but still confused about my eligibility to write for CPA exams. My brief educational details are as follows
1. B.Com from University of Karachi (2 years Regular programme)
2. CA finalist from ICAP (only one paper of module-F left)
3. CIA from IIA (for which i think i wont get any credit hour)

I am currently working in PwC- UAE and associated with PwC from last 5 years.

I have tried to approach CPA course providers like Beckers in UAE but everyone seems interested to sell their course and not ready to advise in detail before registration. Same happens when i post my inquiry in CPA net forum then this lady Leslie-Anne approached me but same thing happened without advising any final thing she is trying to persuade me to buy CPA course from her then she will give her suggestion in definite terms and before that just bunch of commercial words in name of advice.

I have gone through every thread of this forum and CPA net forum and i understand final evaluation will be done by Evaluation Agency and CPA examination service, but i want an initial idea from experience guys in this forum who can advise me about state selection or tell me whether i am eligible or not.

I think only options for which i can go for are Colorado or Delaware but for Delaware can any body give me link of university which is recognised and from where i can do online tax course (the similar thing is also asked in above post)

If my luck allows and i become eligible for CPA exams and passed all 4 papers, can anybody tell me whether i will be able to apply for licence as i want CPA licence as well. if any other thing is further required for licence so i can plan it ahead of time. Please advise me.

Specially Toronto boy and maqzaman, i have seen your replies which are very comprehensive and helpful for all readers.

Please advise me whether i can be eligible to write for CPA exams with my current status and if not please advise me alternative. It can be any thing like any additional certificate or course which i can do to become eligible to write for CPA exams.

Thank you.

- sumairalam - 02-05-2011

Dear Asad ,

Will try to answer your queries

At the current stage you have only one state board from where you can take the exam i.e Delaware

If you pass the CA exam in june 2011 attempt ( Insha-Allah) than you will have two more choice i.e Michigan & colorodo.

Now we will come to the requirements

Education Your current education will fetch you appox 60 Credit hours from evaluators - BCOm Only Use www.facsusa.com.
CA from ICAP - Not completed- No credits
CIA- No Credit

your only choice to sit for the exam is Delaware

Till August 2012 Delaware minimum requirement is USA associate degree to sit for an exam with atleast 21 credit hours courses in Accounts / Audit etc

Generally USA associate degree is equivalent to 60 credit hours.

Now in Pakistan universities are issuing credit hours statement also you need to apply to KU for credit hour statement

You also need to sit for a USA Federal taxation paper ( online acceptable) from recognized university to fulfill the requirements.

Some names are

1. Indiana University course name A328 Introduction to Taxation
2.Elizabeth City State UniversityACCT 335 Federal Income Taxation

After passing the exam you need to directly send the certificate to Delaware Accountancy board.

Now catch is after passing the exam you need to fulfill other requirement to get the licence. One of the major requirement is relevant experience.

You need to have 4 years relevant experience ( as an associate degree holder) under American CPA.

As you are working in PWC I am assuming that you will not have any problem in getting this experience.

Wishing you all the best.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, san" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by asadjbr</i>
<br />Hi all,
I have read each and every thread on this forum and CPA net forum but still confused about my eligibility to write for CPA exams. My brief educational details are as follows
1. B.Com from University of Karachi (2 years Regular programme)
2. CA finalist from ICAP (only one paper of module-F left)
3. CIA from IIA (for which i think i wont get any credit hour)

I am currently working in PwC- UAE and associated with PwC from last 5 years.

I have tried to approach CPA course providers like Beckers in UAE but everyone seems interested to sell their course and not ready to advise in detail before registration. Same happens when i post my inquiry in CPA net forum then this lady Leslie-Anne approached me but same thing happened without advising any final thing she is trying to persuade me to buy CPA course from her then she will give her suggestion in definite terms and before that just bunch of commercial words in name of advice.

I have gone through every thread of this forum and CPA net forum and i understand final evaluation will be done by Evaluation Agency and CPA examination service, but i want an initial idea from experience guys in this forum who can advise me about state selection or tell me whether i am eligible or not.

I think only options for which i can go for are Colorado or Delaware but for Delaware can any body give me link of university which is recognised and from where i can do online tax course (the similar thing is also asked in above post)

If my luck allows and i become eligible for CPA exams and passed all 4 papers, can anybody tell me whether i will be able to apply for licence as i want CPA licence as well. if any other thing is further required for licence so i can plan it ahead of time. Please advise me.

Specially Toronto boy and maqzaman, i have seen your replies which are very comprehensive and helpful for all readers.

Please advise me whether i can be eligible to write for CPA exams with my current status and if not please advise me alternative. It can be any thing like any additional certificate or course which i can do to become eligible to write for CPA exams.

Thank you.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">