Accountancy Forum
Lays Chips - Printable Version

+- Accountancy Forum (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum)
+-- Forum: General (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Lays Chips (/showthread.php?tid=6110)

Pages: 1 2

- awaisaftab - 07-08-2009

No, it is not derieved from tapioca starch it is derived from pig. If it will so derived then it will be too costly and company will not be able to sale almost more than 100% chips to consumers than their competitor against the same price.

Regards,

Awais Aftab

- rabia-k - 07-08-2009

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, san" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by awaisaftab</i>
<br />No, it is not derieved from tapioca starch it is derived from pig. If it will so derived then it will be too costly and company will not be able to sale almost more than 100% chips to consumers than their competitor against the same price.

Regards,

Awais Aftab
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

how are you so sure? E-61 is also derieved from sardines. pig fat is not the only source of E-61.

- Odyssee - 07-08-2009

As Brother awaisaftab has mentioned in his earlier post that and i quote
<b>"Some Ulamahs said that Junaid Jamshed neither a Mufti nor he has read in any Madra so he is not eligible for giving fatwa."</b>

I completely agree with him. Similarly brother awaisaftab doesn't seem to be a mufti to give a fatwa in this regard. As Junaid jamshed's words hav no value similarly awaisaftab's words hav no value. Since brother awaisaftab has claimed that <b>"tapioca starch <i>(used by Lays in Pakistan)</i> .. is derived from pig"</b>...i leave it upto him to provide ANY proof on this matter. In absence of any proof, it would be assumed that the claims of awaisafatb are just a product of mental creativity!

If u giv me choice to believe in either the words of brother awaisaftab or The South African National Halaal Authority and The Central Islamic Committee of Thailand...then it is the call of rationality and God given intelligence, to believe in the words of the latter.

May Allah give HIDAYAH to all of us and forgive our sin of spreading rumors and misinformation.

Pls view the fatwa given by Sheikh Muhammad Saleh Al-Munajjid on the issue of spreading rumours.
http//www.readingislam.com/servlet/Satellite?cid=1119503546730&pagename=IslamOnline-English-Ask_Scholar/FatwaE/FatwaEAskTheScholar

- Odyssee - 07-08-2009

brother awaisaftab, which ulema hav reservations on products of Ajinomoto TODAY, as of July 2009?

The products of Ajinimoto are widely used in Pakistan...n if anyone claims that they are HARAM...then i would be more than glad to provide a huge list of food products in pakistan which use raw material from Ajinomoto.

- Odyssee - 07-08-2009

brother awaisaftab futher said that
<b>"it is clear how you can expect from Christians and Jews that they will produce HALAL food stuff for Muslims"</b>

Are u saying that Lays chips are HARAM because they are produced by Christians and Jews?

If someone really believes in this childish, stupid and non-intellectual argument then i must say that NO piece of evidence, no matter how convincing it is, would be sufficient to satisfy them. They have already made up their mind.

and i find NO reason, whatsoever, of trying to have a further intellectual argument with those who are not ready to listen to any rational argument...and are insisting us to believe in their own diseased ideology.

May Allah guide us all to the right path.

- awaisaftab - 07-09-2009

I have never said that Lays is certainly haram. I also do not have an opinion that all products of Ajinomoto are haram. No madarsa of Pakistan has given fatwa that these products are haram. Rather I have the view that these things are MUSHTABA (Doubted/Disputed).

Now a days management of Lays Chips is wondering in madrsas and approaching different ulmahs. Some days ago they met with Maulan Mufti Muneeb ur Rehman and requested him that give the fatwa that Lays is 100% halal but Mufti Sb catagoriacally denied and said when they are running a compaign with the help of Junaid Jamshed and giving reference of fatwa of Jama-e-Asharfia then why they want to take a fatwa from him.
The function of giving fatwa is a very responsible work thats why Ulmah are hesitating from giving a straight fatwa that lays is HARAM
Mr. Odysse bitterly criticized my personality but I dont want to do so. Let me give the opinions of FOOD SCIENTISTS and expect from him that he will consider these opinion as INTELLECTUAL ARGUMENTS. Prof Dr.Hasnain Aabid, Head Department of Food Sciences of Karachi University, says abount the question that E 631 can be exrtacted from plants that he have never heared and heared and observed during his whole professional life that E-631 can be so extracted rather it is extracted from pig. Department of Information and Public Relation of Wageningen University which is at top one university of food science expresses that E-631 is an acid and can be extracted from 3 methods
1.From Fish
2.From Meet (PIG)
3.From Bacteria Fermentation

At commercial level it is obtained from pig because the cost of its extraction from other two method is too high. University also specifies that it is not HALLAL for Muslims. This information is available on following web site of the univeristy

http//www.food-info.net/uk/e/e631.htm

(Note Jama-e-Asharfia has withdrawn their FATWA)

Please visit this web also which states that PIG derivatives are present in E-631 and E-635

http//www.imadrugpat.org/foodadditives.htm

AFSOS UMATE MUHAMMADI K IN HOONHAR SAPOOTON PE JIN CHEEZON KO YAHOOD O NASARA MUSALMANON K LIAY 100% HALAL QARAR NAHIN DE RAHE YE UN CHEEZON KO SIRF MUSHTBAH MANNE PE TAYAR NAHIN

Inna Lillalahe wa inna illeh rajeoon

For the information of my friends due to advancement of chemistry many things can be made synthetically even meat can be made synthetically. If we accept claim of lays chips then in future some Western food company will say about pig meat that this meat is obtained from synthetic method and it is 100% Halal.
Prof Dr. Ikram ul Haq, Ph.D Chemistry from UK, Ex Principal F.G Post Graduate College H-8 Islamabad, says that even gold can be obtained synthetically but its cost will be many thousand per cent higher than the original gold. I think it is a childish claim that a company which want to become market leader and adopting cost leadership strategy will use many times costly synthetic method for obtaining some ingredients only for MUSLIMS. My dear they are not mad instead they are most cost conscious.

Now I want draw attention of all people toward the cheapest price of lays chips compare the quantity of a Rs. 10 packet of lays from the quantity provide in the local chip. It is amazing that Lays offers almost double quantity. Some years ago Rs.5 packet of lays was also available in the market. The quantity of chips in that packet equal to the quantity of chips available in Rs.10 packet of SUPER CRISP, a local chip. It is apparent that the prices of multinational products are higher that the local products. How it has happened that Lays expelled all local chips from market and becomes market leader.

Regards,

Awais Aftab

- Odyssee - 07-09-2009

@ brother awaiasaftab
Did u seriously read from the links u hav provided?

first of all u mentioned that
<b>"At commercial level it is obtained from pig because the cost of its extraction from other two method is too high. University also specifies that it is not HALLAL for Muslims. This information is available on following web site of the univeristy

http//www.food-info.net/uk/e/e631.htm"</b>

I would urge everyone to visit this link and check that what brother awaisaftab has said is true or not...and unless one has a serious problem in understanding english language, one can easily understand what is written on the link. The link clearly says that <b>Only the producer can provide information on the origin</b> and in this case the producer is Ajinomto Inc. for which The Central Islamic Committee of Thailand has clearly stated that its Halal. see page 3 of the following link http//www.food-info.net/uk/e/e631-lays.pdf

i must ask u a question that ..is The Central Islamic Committee of Thailand an incompetent authority?
If ur answer is <b>yes</b>...then i can provide u a list of food items which are imported in Pakistan (and used by local manufacturers) from Thailand for which the The Central islamic Committee issues its HALAL certificate. Without that certificate no food item can be imported into Pakistan from Thailand.
If ur answer is <b>NO</b>...then i rest my case!

awaisaftab further gave a reference of the research conducted by Prof Dr.Hasnain Aabid, Head Department of Food Sciences of Karachi University. Since brother awaisaftab is relying on this research and is stating it with such confidence, he must have <b>surely read it</b>. <b>Can u pls provide us with a softcopy of the research papers of Dr. Abid? </b>Atleast a link where i can read his research? Afterall we shouldnt rely on <b>hearsay</b>...or should we?

- awaisaftab - 07-09-2009

Central Islamic Committee of Thailand is competent authority as well as as Jama-e-Asharfia is also a competent authority. As lays obtained the fatwa from Jama-e-Asharfia by misrepresentation in the same manner Lays obtained fatwa from Central Islamic Committee of Thailand and this issue should be brought in the knowledge of ulmahs of Central Islamic Committee of Thailand. Further Ulmahs of all sects (diobandi,brelvi,ahle hadith,ahle tashi) of Pakistan are not ready to give the fatwa that Lays is Halal. Opinio of Pakistani Ulmahs has priority for us.

What would you like to say about information on this site

I dont want to enter in any battle of words with you because you are only trying to detect contradiction in my post and ignoring solid proofs.

- Odyssee - 07-09-2009

this link further proves my point

It states
E631Disodium inosinateMay be prepared from meat or sardines.

It doesnt specifically states pork. It states sardines as well. Sardines are not HARAM. So, what does it prove?

ur statement and i quote
"As lays obtained the fatwa from Jama-e-Asharfia by misrepresentation in the same manner Lays obtained fatwa from Central Islamic Committee of Thailand and this issue should be brought in the knowledge of ulmahs of Central Islamic Committee of Thailand"..is entirely baseles and u cannot provide any proof for ur claim. It is based on ur own speculation.

when asked for proof, u r presenting ur own statements, speculations and beliefs. I dont form my opinions and beliefs on the basis of the perceptions of others. I demand proof...thats what ISLAM has taught me...i m sorry i didnt find any SOLID PROOF in ur statements... You have stated Dr. Abid's research...<b>pls show it to all of us.</b>...that would be a SOLID PROOF.

if u want me to quit detecting contradictions in ur statements....quit providing contradictory statements.

Take ur time...show us the research of Dr. Abid...i m open to INTELLECTUAL ARGUMENTS.

- Odyssee - 07-09-2009

And if u cannot provide Dr Abid's research then do TAUBAH for spreading rumors and hearsay without any confirmation.

- rabia-k - 07-09-2009

awaisaftab,

you provided this link http//www.food-info.net/uk/e/e631.htm . did you read whats written at the bottom.?
it says
Regarding the issue of E631 in Lays products in Pakistan we would like to refer to the Lays Pakistan Statement and the certification of Halal of Lays products. <b>The inosinate is made from tapioca starch and no animal products are involved in the production. </b>

can you provide some proof which supports your allegation that its derieved from pig fat and NOT tapioca starch.

- rabia-k - 07-09-2009

sounds like a battle of maulans with a propoganda machine at work in the background.

- Odyssee - 07-09-2009

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, san" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by rabia-k</i>
<br />sounds like a battle of maulans with a propoganda machine at work in the background.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

i seriously doubt the presence of ANY maulana on this forum. No disrespect intended to maulanas, ofcourse.

Propaganda machine at work? isnt that obvious?!!! [D]