Accountancy Forum
This is for those who are migrating to Canada - Printable Version

+- Accountancy Forum (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum)
+-- Forum: The Profession (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Career (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: This is for those who are migrating to Canada (/showthread.php?tid=6543)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

This is for those who are migrating to Canada - maqszaman - 09-11-2009

Hi every one,

I have been receiving various questions from my fellow members of ICMAP. Most of these questions are of similar nature.
1- Which is the best time to come to Canada?
2- Which is the best city to live?
3- How much are living expenditure?
4- How is Climate?
5- What I should bring with me while coming to Canada?
6- What I should do (Education wise) before coming to Canada?
7- What professional designations are in Canada and which is better for CMAs of Pakistan?
8- How is the job market for CMAs of Pakistan in Canada?
9- What level of job I will get when I come to Canada?
10- What are salary ranges?
11- How should I start searching my first job?
12- Other tips.

I am pleased write the following lines to guide our members who are trying to settle in Canada. Please note that everybody has his/her own experience and he/she will guide you accordingly. It is not necessary that what is good for me will be good for you too. My intention is to share my knowledge, observation and experience which may differ from others.

1. Which is the best time to come to Canada?

Most Canadian companies close their financials by December 31 and staff also goes on Christmas vacation at that point of time. They always plan to complete their work, a couple of months ahead. The companies start hiring people by September/October. So there is good demand for accounting professional during that season. The worst period is from June to August because; this is school vacation period and companies hire students only and gets tax benefits. So they stop hiring people other than students. The job market will be very slow during that time.

2. Which is the best city to live?

Toronto is the financial heart of Canada, whereas Quebec in manufacturing hub. Language is the biggest hurdle in Quebec as their official language is French. Toronto is also referred as to GTA which comprise three main cities say Toronto, Mississauga and Makham. Toronto has the best transit system as compared to Mississauga and Markham. Most Pakistanis live in Toronto and Mississauga. To me the best living place to new comers is Toronto because you might not have a car in the beginning and commuting may be a problem in Mississauga and Markham. Once you are settled, you may move to another area of your choice. Most job opportunities are in Toronto and Mississauga. To me most convenient location for new comers in Toronto is Thorncliffe Park Drive, East York where I live and love. School, Mall, Mosque, Library, Dr. Office, Halal Foods Shops, Transport etc are at walking distance and on top of that Pakistani community, which is a great help for new comers.

3- How much are living expenditure?

Total living expenses are about $2000.00 per month. Rent is a major item on your expense list which will be about $900.00. Transportation will be $110.00, Laundry $50.00, Grocery $500.00, telephone internet, cable $100.00 and others about $300.00. You can save some rent by living in basement whose rent is normally $600.00 but I would recommend you not to do this saving because there are other serious issued involved with this venture.

4- How is Climate?

Summer is very short in Canada. It may last not more than 4 months from June to September. October is a little bit chilly and November to March will be extremely cold, again April to May will be a bit chilly. As I state earlier, the best time is from June to August. You can acclimatize yourself with changing weather. It rains in most of summer. The normal temperature in winter ranges from -10c to -20c which may go up to -30c. In summer normal temperature is 20c to 25c which may go to 30c.

5- What I should bring with me while coming to Canada?

As a new comer you must bring as much stuff as you can to save money here. The things you must not buy from Pakistan are warm clothes and shoes. Even the best quality from Pakistan will not work here. Dont buy leather stuff. Bring as much clothes like shirts, jeans, t-shirts, bed sheets, curtain, utensils, socks, towels, etc as you can.

6- What I should do (Education wise) before coming to Canada?

You must get expertise on Advanced Excel and Words which is highly demanded here. QuickBooks, AccPac, MS Great Plans are software which are used in small business and are in good demand. However, you should also take advantage and do SAP, People Soft, (ERP) to enter into large businesses here. Visit the websites that I will tabulate under Job Market to assess software in demand here. If you can finish, you should do ACCA/CIMA before you come to Canada. These institutes have mutual recognition agreements here so you will get your certification without wasting time and you will able to get a good job.

7- What professional designations are in Canada and which is better for CMAs of Pakistan?

There are three professional bodies here say CA, CMA, CGA. You cant do CA because you will not be able to get internship here. CMA is the most demanded designation here. CMA gives exemptions from entrance exam so you have to complete their strategic leadership program for 2 years which will cost you about $9000.00. You can get more information from www.cma-ontario.org. If you did your CMA Pakistan recently (Under new syllabus), you will be able to get complete exemption up to level 3rd and 3 papers of level 4th. You can get more information from www.cga-ontario.org. CGA will cost you according to your performance but the minimum estimate is $8,000.00.
8- How is the job market for CMAs of Pakistan in Canada?

CMA Pakistan has no recognition here. You will be able to get entry level jobs on that basis. However, if you perform better you can make room very easily.

9- What level of job I will get when I come to Canada?

You will have to start over your career from scratch. In most cases you will get entry level job. If you upgrade yourself with Canadian designation and experience you will be able to get better jobs.

10- What are salary ranges?

Generally you get $13 to $15 per hour in entry level jobs. Once you are appointed full time you may get job ranging $25,000.00 to $40,000.00.

11- How should I start searching my first job?

The first thing that you need to do is to revise your resume. Canadian style is quite different from Pakistani style. Ask someone to help you out in this regard when you come to Canada. Then you should send your resume to different employment agencies. The biggest one is Accountemps. I would strongly recommend not going to Accountemps in the beginning. Apply in small agencies first and after some experience you should go to Accountemps. Always remember most Pakistanis go to Accountemps which retains 60% job in Canada, and ruin their profile their and never get a job.

Employment agencies will give test of Excel, Word, Accounting, Data Feeding etc. You chances to get a job quicker will depend on your performance.

12- Other tips.

Canada is different culture than Pakistan. Many habit which we dont care in Pakistan, amounts a lot here. Leave your dirty attitudes in Pakistan and try to understand Canadian culture. So here are few tips

a. Use magic words frequently Thank you, you are welcome, please, sorry, etc.
b. Most Pakistanies even our members will not be helpful to you. First question they will ask you is that Why you have come to Canada? Another statement, Children will be ruined here we are planning to go back to Pakistan.
c. Always remember coming to Canada is very hard and coming back to Pakistan is even harder.
d. Always meet with successful people. Fail people will discourage you.
e. Get your first job as soon as possible irrespective of nature of job. As it is matter your survival.
f. Always be punctual and never reach late anywhere. People wont wait for you.
g. Dont go anywhere without an appointment, even to your close friends.
h. Be communicative, if you are running late, just let the person know.
i. Never ever say any wrong word to anybody.
j. Dont be personal with new people say what is your salary, designation etc.
k. Dont poke you nose unless you are asked.
l. Never criticize any one, Hay what a bad colour you are wearing.
m. If you think that someone is making a mistake, dont say you are wrong, say Can we do it this ways and then tell you opinion.

I have tried to sum up as much detail as I could. However, I hope our other member will also share their experiences and provide you with some valuable tips.

Wish you good luck.

- Shahzad09 - 09-11-2009

That have been an excellent article, i hope everyone have taken full benefit of it.

- Toronto_Boy - 09-12-2009

Dear maqszaman

Please accept my words of appreciation for such an elaborative, comprehensive, and wonderful post, to help our brothers. I hope you would continue sharing your experiences with readers.

Best Regards

- maqszaman - 09-12-2009

Hi,

I would very suley share my experience and knowledge. I have also written another article on "CPA Procedure" for those who are interested in doing CPA. You can search this article on the website.

Best of luck.

- Toronto_Boy - 09-12-2009

Hi There

Yep, I got an opportunity to read that post too. It was quite informational about CPA.

Cheers...

- tahir_azmat2002 - 09-14-2009

Dear All,

I am working in Kuwait in the field of accounts , purchasing and inventory controlling and I am planning to move to Canada. I am just a simple graduate in commerce with around 6 years experience in the same field. I am thinking to do CMA from kuwait and then move to Canada. Kindly advise if I finish my CMA here from Kuwait and then move to CANADA then will it be helpful for me to find a good job???

Awaited for prompt response.

Regards

- tahir_azmat2002 - 09-14-2009

Dear All,

I am working in Kuwait in the field of accounts , purchasing and inventory controlling and I am planning to move to Canada. I am just a simple graduate in commerce with around 6 years experience in the same field. I am thinking to do CMA from kuwait and then move to Canada. Kindly advise if I finish my CMA here from Kuwait and then move to CANADA then will it be helpful for me to find a good job???

Awaited for prompt response.

Regards

- maqszaman - 09-15-2009

Hi Azmat,

You did not specify which CMA you are talking about, say CMA Pak. I have no idea what is CMA Kuwait. My suggestion is that you should go for ACCA or CIMA UK. In case your immigration completes faster, you can also complete these certification even after your arrival here in Canada. If you go for CMA Pakistan you will not be able to complete it in Canada which it won't add value to you.

- tahir_azmat2002 - 09-15-2009

Dear ,

Thanks for the information.

do you think that after acca or cima , one can get a good job in canada ?? and if someone not completed acca or cima fully but just completed 70 % or 80 % of both stream , is it possible to get a good job in canada with part qualified acca or cima ???

Regards

- rabia-k - 09-15-2009

LIFE is not a cake walk!

- maqszaman - 09-15-2009

Hi Azmat,

CIMA & ACCA have MRA with CMA & CGA respectively. If you are a member of either ACCA or CIMA you will get membership in Canadian institute. Thus you will be able to get good job in Canada. Please further note that credits are not transferred on open qulaification, that why I advised you to go for CMA/ACCA so that in case you could not finish them in time, you could complete them even in Canada.

- afaqui - 09-15-2009

dear maqsood and other forum members AOA
first of all , congrats, bravo artical maqsood bhai.
v. v informative.thnx
its my first visit to this forum,
i hava a MBA degree from iba karachi back in 1999.
now i have got immig visa for canada in aug 2009 and i am planning to go either toronto or more likely to vancover b.c in jan 2010.
but off course , there is little snowfall in vancouver, and i will not be able to sell even GOLAGANDAs if i dont get a job.(just kidding)
so i decide to do some home work before i go there.
i have decided to do CMA
and i started studies, and alhomulillah after on month study, i am able to pass part 1
hopefully i will also clear part 3 in first week of oct 2009. and attempt to clear part 2 at oct end (which is quite difficult as people say part 2 required more time. but inshallah by allah's help , i will do it).
i think i have taken a lot of time.
thats what i have done and are my plans.
but my CMA is from IMA usa. now pl guide me
what exemptions i can recieve against part 1 completed, part 3 completed, part 2 completed and final comprehensive part 4 completed.
how much it will time and cost me to complete cma canada there.
in what city The Society of Management Accountants of Canada has campuses, vancouver? toronto?
am i on right track?
i appriciate ur reply,
jazak allah
asad aziz afaqui

- maqszaman - 09-15-2009

Hi Asas,

First, I would like to inform you that IMA is not recognized accounting body in the USA. The only professional body in USA is CPA which is in high demand. But I don't recomand Pakistani students to go for CPA because it is very expensive and it may be difficult to get visa from Pakistan. If you are a CPA you get membership in CICA directly. I have no idea whay exemptions are avaiable on CMA/CGA on the basis of CMA USA. I would suggest you to write e-mail to CMA USA and ask them. Please note that CMA/CGA Canada will not respond to you in this regard. Their response will determine whether you are on right track. The society of Management Accountant of Canada in in whole Canada. Both Vancouver and Toronto have good opportunities but Toronto is a better city job wise whereas Vancouver is in weather wise.

- tahir_azmat2002 - 09-15-2009

Dear Mr Usman,

Thanks for all useful information.

I have checked here and Kuwait is offering CMA by IMA and its from USA, in kuwait its delivered by one institute which is authorized IMA CMA learning system partner in Kuwait.

So , can someone advise me now if I go for this CMA then will it be helpful for me to find a job in Canada???

Regards

Azmat Tahir

- MRS - 09-15-2009

Dear Tahir,
I think Maqsood has stated very clearly that CMA(IMA) is not a recognized body even in USA. I have checked on the CMA (Canada) website and they offer no exemptions to CMA (IMA) may be if you contact them they can consider you after evaluating your transcripts but even then you will get exemption in few papers of entrance exam (may be).
Best option is to go for ACCA, rest is your decision.