Accountancy Forum
ACCA Student with 4 yr exp: Chances in big4?? - Printable Version

+- Accountancy Forum (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum)
+-- Forum: The Profession (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Firms (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: ACCA Student with 4 yr exp: Chances in big4?? (/showthread.php?tid=6683)

Pages: 1 2

ACCA Student with 4 yr exp: Chances in big4?? - adilmushtaq - 10-06-2009

Hello all,

I'm an ACCA Professional level student (I've passed the fundamentals) and currently working with a mid tier firm Ilyas Saeed & Co in the audit department. The firm has affiliation with MGI International (I'm not sure whether this affilation has any value nationally or internationally)

I've a total of 4 years of experience of external audit & preparation of of financial statements; two years with current firm & two years with a small local firm.

As I'm eligible to apply for training with EY & KPMG Islamabad (I called them & they told that they hire ACCA fundamentals passed students). My question is that whether my 4 year experience would be considered as a negative point i.e. I'll only have to pass the remaining 5 papers & I'd become ACCA member/qualified. Big4 firms maybe reluctant to hire me because of this reason that I may leave during the training or maybe I'm overqualified??

Or having 4 yr experience would be a plus point?

As I've 4 yr experience with 2 firms, so incase of being overqualified I can hide 2 years initial experience with the small firm!

I don't know whether with my current experience, would I be hired with a big4 firm outside Pakistan? i.e. UAE, Saudia Arabia etc. If this is the case, then I'm ready to relocate & try finding a job at a big4 in gulf or anywhere else.

I'm totally confused. SENIORS PLEASE HELP, I need advice. What would be the route better for me?

- Osama Rules - 10-06-2009

Salam,

As per my knowledge no one will hire an overqualified guy.
So i think u should hide your's initial experience if u wanna get into big 4 but let others reply as well as i am not 100% sure!!

In my view now u should continue with ur current employer if they are recognised by ACCA,if not then sign a contract with an employer recognised by ACCA..

Hope this helps but again let others too reply.

Regards. [)]

- adilmushtaq - 10-07-2009

Thankyou for the reply!

There are no problems with my current employer; its one of the largest mid tier audit firms in Pakistan.

My major issue is that I want to work in the gulf & pursue an international career. For which according to my limited knowledge there are two general requirements
- Considerable work experience with a big4 or some other large international accountancy firm
- ACCA or any other international accountancy qualification

Working with my current employer I don't think I'd be able to get hired into the big4 accountancy firms in the UAE, Saudia etc. That is the main reason I want to get hired with a big4 firm.

SENIORS PLEASE REPLY, KAMRANACA & OTHERS

- Brohi - 10-07-2009

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, san" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by adilmushtaq</i>
<br />Thankyou for the reply!

There are no problems with my current employer; its one of the largest mid tier audit firms in Pakistan.

My major issue is that I want to work in the gulf & pursue an international career. For which according to my limited knowledge there are two general requirements
- Considerable work experience with a big4 or some other large international accountancy firm
- ACCA or any other international accountancy qualification

Working with my current employer I don't think I'd be able to get hired into the big4 accountancy firms in the UAE, Saudia etc. That is the main reason I want to get hired with a big4 firm.

SENIORS PLEASE REPLY, KAMRANACA & OTHERS
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

<font color="blue">Adil,

Its better you focus on passing your exams then wondering if I will get hired or not.

Right now Big 4 in UAE are not recruiting much and the vacancies which are now filled have severe competition from high quality candidates.

I don’t think your prior experience is hinder for your entrance in Big 4 but passing all the ACCA exam is a must as I have seen many who have no prior Big 4 but got hired including myself in a Big 4 in UAE.

Hope this will helpful to an extent.

All the Best </font id="blue">

- adilmushtaq - 10-07-2009

Brohi, Thankyou very much for the reply. I'll definitely focus on passing the ACCA exams. And for the time being, I'd send my applications into big4 firms here in Pakistan. I still wonder, do I stand a chance in Pakistan.

One more question, did you had any prior experience before you got recruited into the big4 in the UAE?

- Brohi - 10-07-2009

<font color="blue">Adil,

I had prior Experiance.

All the best</font id="blue">

- Osama Rules - 10-08-2009

Salam,

Brohi,r u an ACCA student or member??

Thanks.

- adilmushtaq - 10-08-2009

SENIORS PLEASE REPLY, KAMRANACA, ASTUTE ACCOUNTANT & OTHERS

- Brohi - 10-08-2009

Wa Alekum Asalam

Osama, I am ACCA member.

Thanks

- Astute Accountant - 10-08-2009

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, san" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by adilmushtaq</i>
<br />SENIORS PLEASE REPLY, KAMRANACA, ASTUTE ACCOUNTANT & OTHERS
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

I regret, I don't have authentic info in this regard.

- kamranACA - 10-25-2009

Adil

Your email was in junkmail box so could not be checked.

If EY (Pak) appears to entertain you then don't disclose any prior experience until you have been inducted and have been given some experience. In my view it is not beneficial. If a firm will have reservations on others procedures, style or anything it can create problem for you. It is an absolute advice. only the big 4 experience is to be disclosed to other big 4.

However, after having your exposure with EY (Pak) if you get to go for a job in Middle East then you should certainly mention your EY experience as latest part of your credentials and Ilyas Saeed's and other's as previous experience. They will not mind it (since they are not localized) and there mentioning such exposure will add on value.

Just a point for info, EY if selects a person, and then for any reason he does not join them; it is the rule of EY not select him ever again. So always be careful in commiting the date of joining and always try to honour such commitment.

Regards,

KAMRAN.

- Osama Rules - 10-25-2009

Salam,
@brohi

I would like to know tht according to u will the situation improve for ICAEW students in coming years??

Plzz do reply..

- Brohi - 10-25-2009

Osama,

ICAEW students situation improve were?

Thanks

- rabia-k - 10-25-2009

Mr Brohi,

he means in UAE.

- Brohi - 10-25-2009

Osama,

In whats terms will the situation improve?

Thanks.