Accountancy Forum
A Career In Accounting in the US - Printable Version

+- Accountancy Forum (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum)
+-- Forum: The Profession (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Students (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: A Career In Accounting in the US (/showthread.php?tid=6704)

A Career In Accounting in the US - michaelkingdom - 10-11-2009

Hello everyone,

I am looking for some career advice. I currently own and operate a catering company. I am looking to make a career change into accounting. My goal is to have my own accounting service including bookkeeping and tax preparation, specializing in small businesses. Being a small business owner, I believe this will help me to guide my clients.

Education I have an Associates Degree in liberal arts and a three year trade school for restaurant management. While neither of these qualify me to enter accounting, they don't hurt.

Age 33

So, my question is, what path would you recommend to gain education and experience? I have talked to a few people and I have gotten a surprising variety of answers. Here are some snippets of advice I have gotten from various people

-Sorry, you might be too old.
-You need to become a CPA. They are the only ones who make any money.
-You are absolutely not too old.
-I have no formal education in accounting aside from Accounting 1 at my community college. I have been in accounting for 35 years and I do very well.

I suppose the path to becoming an accountant will be a mixture of real world experience and education. What path would you recommend?

Any comments are greatly appreciated,

Michael

- Osama Rules - 10-11-2009

Salam,

Considering ur goal one would have to be qualifed in accountancy...

I don't know man,this is a tough situation.. i mean whatever u start will take minimum 3 years so do u think u have that much time??

CFAB from ICAEW will take only 1 year but just a mere certificate of CFAB will not allow u to open ur own business...

U can also consider doing ACCA or AAT as well.

Hope this helps!

Regards.

- ausmanpk2001 - 10-12-2009

1- I'm not sure about regulations in the US, however in almost all around the globe, there are no requirements of being a CPA (or equivalent) to offer book keeping & tax services. So you can start the business (at least legally).

2- You are not too old.

3- Second, you should consider sitting for the CPA exams. Having a professional accountancy qualification would help a lot in attracting customers.

4- If you are not interested in the CPA, then you must consider some other qualification in order to attract customers maybe Bachelors or Masters & I think CPA is the best.

5- However, If you think that you can retain a client base & expand it, without having a qualification because of existing value in the market/customers etc., then go for it.

6-I don't think that CPA exams take that much time or money. So again you should seriously consider it.

- yasir_live - 10-15-2009

I think it's better for u now to study newspapers, Magazines, food Recepies, etc, instead of ACCA, CPA etc.So every thing has it's Time.

But Anyways, Ask yourself if u r determined, than go 4 it no probs, It's not 2 late to start making a change. Gud Luck