Accountancy Forum
Jobs Comparison: Assistant Accountant v/s Trainee - Printable Version

+- Accountancy Forum (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum)
+-- Forum: The Profession (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Career (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Jobs Comparison: Assistant Accountant v/s Trainee (/showthread.php?tid=7263)

Jobs Comparison: Assistant Accountant v/s Trainee - wajahathussain25 - 01-25-2010

My name is Wajahat Hussain and I'm an ACCA professional level student. Recently, I've got two job proposals and I've to opt for one out of these two. One is Assistant Accountant job and one is working as a trainee at one of big six audit firms.Contract period is 3 years in both the cases. Irrespective of sallary or stipend.

Could any one compare and contrast these two jobs with respect to career prospects after three years. Which job should be accepted considering short and long term consequences of both of them (on logical grounds), say after 3 years and 10 years?

- Dard - 01-25-2010

Are both the positions in the same firm? If yes then you would learn alot as a trainee, go from bottom to top

- waqas zia - 01-29-2010

As in case of internship you can learn by asking from your seniors without any hesitation and you can also co-relate your studies with this by comparing. In job, as an assistant accountant, you will gain more money in short term but in long run it will not help you a lot. Hope you got my point.

- Schuaeb - 01-31-2010

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, san" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by wajahathussain25</i>
<br />My name is Wajahat Hussain and I'm an ACCA professional level student. Recently, I've got two job proposals and I've to opt for one out of these two. One is Assistant Accountant job and one is working as a trainee at one of big six audit firms.Contract period is 3 years in both the cases. Irrespective of sallary or stipend.

Could any one compare and contrast these two jobs with respect to career prospects after three years. Which job should be accepted considering short and long term consequences of both of them (on logical grounds), say after 3 years and 10 years?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

In my personal opinion if what you earn is not a factor then training in firms may be more beneficial for learning at least for one who is at entry level in the profession. Working at a position of assistant accountant does have its own plus points and I believe some of the employers may give the experience an accounts position more weightage than that of a trainee in a firm.

- Dard - 01-31-2010

Wajahat you didn't mention career growth and professional development oppurtunities during those 3years as an assistant accountant. If there are oppurtunities then go for it, otherwise becoming a trainee would be better