Accountancy Forum
CA from Canada - Printable Version

+- Accountancy Forum (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum)
+-- Forum: The Profession (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Career (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: CA from Canada (/showthread.php?tid=735)

CA from Canada - farazthegreat - 03-23-2004

Hi,
Does anybody know how well is the CICA (Canadian Institute of Chartered Accountants) reputed around the world, obviously including Pakistan. And what exemptions does ICAP offer for Canadian CAs.

- faiza_sid007 - 03-23-2004

hi faraz...

ive found out a lot abt canadian Ca myself and i even mailed up the ICAP ppl to ask them if they value canadian CA...i got to know tht they actually do...Canadian Ca is recognised world over however exemptions from ICAP are very minimum...if u wanna practice chartered accounting in pakistan after doing CA from canada. Infact u have to sit for a few pprs BEFORE u actually get permission to start ure job..these include a few taxation pprs...

Anyways all the best for ure decision!

- thecharteredaccountant - 03-25-2004

i think in canada one has an option between the CPA and the CA as both systems prevail there. the CXPA due to the americn influence and the CA due to the Brtish and European influence. Icap as usual would offer some exemptions to qualified members of the CICA etc but they would require them to take the tax, law etc papers of the final stage. which even the ICEAW members have to take in order to practise in pak.
if you want to live in pak in the future, do it here from ICAP or perhaps ACCA. if you plan to move to the US or Canada, then you can go for the CPA or CA from there.
in the middleeast i guess, everything goes!

- farazthegreat - 03-28-2004

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Tahoma, Arial" id=quote>quote<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

if you want to live in pak in the future, do it here from ICAP or perhaps ACCA. if you plan to move to the US or Canada, then you can go for the CPA or CA from there.

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Tahoma, Arial" size=2 id=quote>

TCA, why do you say that ICAP would be better for Pakistan. If I can get the exemptions and pass the Law and Tax papers, don't you think it would be better since CA from Canada is suppsosed to be far easier than ICAP.

- thecharteredaccountant - 03-29-2004

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Tahoma, Arial" id=quote>quote<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Tahoma, Arial" size=2 id=quote>

TCA, why do you say that ICAP would be better for Pakistan. If I can get the exemptions and pass the Law and Tax papers, don't you think it would be better since CA from Canada is suppsosed to be far easier than ICAP.

yes, Faraz, as a matter of fact you may be right about the Canadian CA being comparitively easy to qualify, so i'm not sure exactly what and how mnay exepmtions the ICAP offers to members of ICAC. if it is the same as ICAEW, which i dont think it would be, then one would have to take only the 2-3 papers of the final stage. if however they dont offer as many exemptions to ICAC then i guess one would have to take more exams to become a member of ICAP. so it would actually depend on the number of exemptions ICAP offers...
you can check that out from the ICAP website, they have an exemptions section.
www.icap.org.pk