Accountancy Forum
Capitalization of registration charges of Vehicles - Printable Version

+- Accountancy Forum (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum)
+-- Forum: The Profession (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Accounting and Audit (https://www.accountancy.com.pk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: Capitalization of registration charges of Vehicles (/showthread.php?tid=7377)

Pages: 1 2

Capitalization of registration charges of Vehicles - noor4794 - 02-09-2010

Can any body help that if a company has a general practice of not capitalizing Vehicle registration charges. Whether this practice contradict with IAS 16 or not. Should we capitalize it or not.

- Dard - 02-10-2010

There are two criterias
for the capitalisation of assets and related costs
=> The economic benefits will into the entity by the use of the asset
=> The cost can be measured reliably

As per my knowledge, vehicle registration fulfills these two criterias and should therefore be capitalised

- awaisaftab - 02-10-2010

As per IAS-16 your treatment is right. The cost of registration of vehicles is material in many cases. Beside it the capitalization of registration is as per GAAP.

- Dard - 02-10-2010

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, san" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by awaisaftab</i>
<br />As per IAS-16 your treatment is right. The cost of registration of vehicles is material in many cases. Beside it the capitalization of registration is as per GAAP.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
Noor said the company does not capitalise the vehicle registration charges. So the treatment is not right

- Ajnabi - 02-10-2010

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, san" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Dard</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, san" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by awaisaftab</i>
<br />As per IAS-16 your treatment is right. The cost of registration of vehicles is material in many cases. Beside it the capitalization of registration is as per GAAP.
Noor said the company does not capitalise the vehicle registration charges. So the treatment is not right

Probably, Awais might have said about your comments to be true.
He has not taken the name afterall.[8D]

Think 10 times before posting, since these are to be gone through by the public at large.[)]

- awaisaftab - 02-10-2010

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, san" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Dard</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, san" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by awaisaftab</i>

Dard you are new at this forum. Don't instruct me.

- noor4794 - 02-10-2010

<br />There are two criterias

As per my knowledge, vehicle registration fulfills these two criterias and should therefore be capitalised

How do vehicle registration charges meet with first criteria... How can you identify that economic benefits are flowing to entity....

Registration charges are assosiated costs, my main question is that whether these be included in COST of vehicle or treated as expense for the year... Hope you got my question..

- noor4794 - 02-10-2010

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, san" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by awaisaftab</i>

You are right that its material in many cases and capitalization is as per GAAP... but whatif COMPANY has a general practice of not capitalizing registration charges...

- Ajnabi - 02-10-2010

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, san" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by noor4794</i>

You are right that its material in many cases and capitalization is as per GAAP... but whatif COMPANY has a general practice of not capitalizing registration charges...

Dear, Standards overrule company's policy, if there is a contradiction in between company's policy and standards then obviously company's policy should suitably be amended to make it in line with the applicable standard.

Registration fees should be capitalized forth with the Vehicle.

- israrhere - 02-10-2010

In addition to the above Ias 16 also states that initial costs to be capitalized
includes the costs which are necessary for its present location and condition.As registration charges are necessary b4 we can use the asset so it shall be capitalized and we cannot expense it.

- Dard - 02-10-2010

<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, san" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Dard</i>

Dard you are new at this forum. Don't instruct me.
What has that to do with the answer? I am not instructing anyone

- Dard - 02-10-2010

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, san" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by noor4794</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, san" id="quote">quote<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Dard</i>
<br />There are two criterias

How do vehicle registration charges meet with first criteria... How can you identify that economic benefits are flowing to entity....

Registration charges are assosiated costs, my main question is that whether these be included in COST of vehicle or treated as expense for the year... Hope you got my question..
If the vehicles are not registered, they can't be used further. Future Cash or cash equivalents will flow to the entity if the Vehicles(assets) are used. Therefore the cost of registration will NOT be expensed to the income statement. This is my view. Other PpL's view may differ

- Ajnabi - 02-12-2010

<br />There are two <b>criterias</b>

As per my knowledge, vehicle registration fulfills these two <b>criterias </b> and should therefore be capitalised

I have heard that "Criteria"(plural) or "Criterion"(singular) is a word, however, can not refrain myself to laugh after hearing a word "Criterias",[8D]

- Dard - 02-12-2010

Mistake. I also couldn't help laughing when i saw you saying you are a qualified C.A and CMA or whatever. A so-called professional with such an illmanner. If professionals continue to be like this then this place will be nothing but a battlefield and full of chaos

- Qureshi Muhammad Zeeshan - 03-01-2010

IAS-16 para 16(b)
"Any Cost Directly attributable to bringing the asset to the location and condition necessary for it to be capable of operating in the manner intended by the management"

As Registration of vehicle is necessary by law for using the vehicle. therefore, with out registration vehicle is not in the condition to be used.
that's why it should be capitalized.